• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

atheism and death

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
As you are well aware, @George-ananda I am a so-called "Strong" atheist who believes in the distinct likelihood of a so-called "afterlife" due to my myriad of out-of-body experiences. For me, it is just a logical conclusion, really. I am equally insistent that it's not like what we have been told by the world's religions. People are going to be delightfully surprised.
You are an example of why I included the 'most but not all' qualifier in my post.

As for you, you always struck me as a do-it-yourself maverick type. That may work fine for you. I think the old souls of my eastern and western esoteric traditions have compassion for the rest of us, and do teach us valuable things. That works fine for me.

Altfish

Veteran Member
You cease to exist; your body rots away, hopefully people will remember you and talk fondly of you, may be a photo on the wall. I'm looking at a photo of my two granddad's, one died before I was born, the other I got to know well.
As has been said before being dead will be like it was before you were born.
We are so very lucky to have been afforded the chance of life - grasp the opportunity.

QuestioningMind

suppose atheism is correct and there is no god. what happens when we die?

Who knows? All the evidence suggests that when we die, that's it. But it's certainly possible that there is a form of existence after death. However, there's absolutely no reliable evidence that a God being is involved. In fact, we could come up with indisputable evidence that everyone continues to exist in an alternate form after they die, but that STILL wouldn't be any evidence that a creator God exists.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

In the short term it depends if you are buried or cremated.

Taking a longer view the atoms and molecules that make up your body are recycled, chances are a small part will go to the makeup of another life.

Longer term still, it is possible some atoms that were once in your body will (microscopically) help power another sun.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Well, if we get with it, all the things that could happen if their were a God.

We could reclone ourselves, store our "souls" in computers, and do a lot of calculated things. I'm just mentioning the tip of the iceberg. Raelism contains a lot of material on this.

Reactions: syo

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
i mean than many people fear death. and the only thing that can guarantee a life after death is an omnipotent supernatural being, god.

I don't fear non-existence as I won't be there to experience it.

I suspect there maybe multiple life experiences because I have some memories of having experienced other lives. I presume that that if such is the case and there is somehow a continued existence to another life the experience would be little different then this current life. I don't expect death to provide any answers. I don't expect to come face to face with any deity.

Whatever that existence is, it will be the experience of a person that is different than me. Different personality, different life in which I may remember nothing of this life so I don't know exactly what that connection between that existence and my current one would be. Maybe some questionable memories like I have now.

I was told by someone who claims such knowledge that once you are enlightened or aware of the illusory nature of life in a following life, around age 40 you will become fully aware of any previous lives.

It that were to happen I imagine it would be possible to prove it at least to one's self by verifying the fact of some of those memories.

Testimonials

Also I was involved in Scientology. There were many testimonials from people who believe they had past life experiences.

syo

Why? What makes any god necessary for there to be continued existence after death?
No, the only thing that can guarantee a life after death is if there IS some sort of existence after death. No reason for there to be an omnipotent supernatural being for that to be so.
when i say afterlife i mean that our conscience/self will live on. when our body dies it rots but what about our conscience/self? it seems that death destroys our self like our body. a supernatural god can keep our conscience/self intact.

According to the renowned philosopher Ivan Drago:

12l1ir.jpg

Faithofchristian

Let's for say, that when your dieing and your laying there, and the unknown is staring you in the face.

An Atheist could say, nothing happens after we die, As to how exactly do you know this, when in fact the world of scientist can't even prove whether there is or not. So what do you have that the world of scientist don't have ?

For unbeliever and Atheist that's what it would be called, The unknown. All because they don't believe in God.
So it would be unknown to them, So what exactly happens the minute you take your last breath of air, so from there would be crossing over into the unknown
it would have to be the most scariest thing to be laying there dieing and the unknown and death standing there staring you in the face and not know exactly what waits you over in the unknown, who knows ?
This is the one thing, that the world of scientist has no way of proving what lays in the unknown.when a person dies ?

The unknown could be the worst horror thing possible to face over in the unknown.
With death staring you in face and as your crossing over into the unknown.and not know what awaits you over in the unknown.
Something I wouldn't want to face.

Last edited:

Altfish

Veteran Member
The unknown could be the worst horror thing possible to face over in the unknown.
With death staring you in face and as your crossing over into the unknown.and not know what awaits you over in the unknown.
No atheist wants to face it either.
BUT atheists have looked at the facts and that is the truth, it is over, the end.
Now if theism promises you an afterlife, great. We can meet up afterwards and you can say to me, "I told you so".
But I'm happy with the reality and take great pleasure that my genes will continue in my children, grandchildren and unborn great grandchildren.
Isn't life great?
But the penalty for having life is death. Ho hum!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Let's for say, that when your dieing and your laying there, and the unknown is staring you in the face.

An Atheist could say, nothing happens after we die, As to how exactly do you know this, when in fact the world of scientist can't even prove whether there is or not. So what do you have that the world of scientist don't have ?

For unbeliever and Atheist that's what it would be called, The unknown. All because they don't believe in God.
So it would be unknown to them, So what exactly happens the minute you take your last breath of air, so from there would be crossing over into the unknown
it would have to be the most scariest thing to be laying there dieing and the unknown and death standing there staring you in the face and not know exactly what waits over in the unknown, who knows ?
This is the one thing, that the world of scientist has no way of proving what lays in the unknown.when a person dies ?

Nothing scary about death, one thing is for sure, of over 7 billion people on this earth, every single one of them will die

So how does religion go about proving what happens after death?

Faithofchristian

No atheist wants to face it either.
BUT atheists have looked at the facts and that is the truth, it is over, the end.
Now if theism promises you an afterlife, great. We can meet up afterwards and you can say to me, "I told you so".
But I'm happy with the reality and take great pleasure that my genes will continue in my children, grandchildren and unborn great grandchildren.
Isn't life great?
But the penalty for having life is death. Ho hum!

If to what you say is true, what proof do you have, that the world of scientist do not have, to prove that there's nothing over in the unknown,
What makes you so sure, that you will see me after you die.
Are you for getting something, that I believe in God and you as atheist do not believe in God.
Therefore you will not make it into God's kingdom, unless you change your out look about God.
Look in your life, you have denyed God, therefore you gave God every right, to deny you also.so what's fair is fair. You deny God and God deny's you.

So there's no one sided about it nor is it a one way street, but a two way street.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
i mean than many people fear death. and the only thing that can guarantee a life after death is an omnipotent supernatural being, god.

You suppose they use fear of death to convince themselves of belief?
Seems plausible, if self-deceptive.

Faithofchristian

Nothing scary about death, one thing is for sure, of over 7 billion people on this earth, every single one of them will die

So how does religion go about proving what happens after death?

To day, you can say all you want to.

But that will all change, when your laying there in your bed and death standing there staring down in your face and the unknown comes to get you, to cross over into the domain of the unknown. What am I facing next over in the unknown.

You see, when I get there and find there is no God, what did I lose, nothing.

But when I get there and there is God, I have everything to gain.

But as for you to find there is God, you lost completely.
You denyed God and now you gave God the right to deny you.

Altfish

Veteran Member
If to what you say is true, what proof do you have, that the world of scientist do not have, to prove that there's nothing over in the unknown,
What makes you so sure, that you will see me after you die.
Are you for getting something, that I believe in God and you as atheist do not believe in God.
Therefore you will not make it into God's kingdom, unless you change your out look about God.
Look in your life, you have denyed God, therefore you gave God every right, to deny you also.so what's fair is fair. You deny God and God deny's you.

So there's no one sided about it nor is it a one way street, but a two way street.
I have no proof of an afterlife, so I conclude that there isn't one. Science can't prove something doesn't exist; it can search, not find any evidence and conclude it is very unlikely to exist, but there is always a chance an afterlife exists. You can say the same about unicorns.
I didn't say I'm sure that I'll see you after I die; what I did say was that it'll be your privilege to come up to me if I'm wrong and say, "I told you so"
No, I'm not for getting something. I suppose the biggest gain to me is that I treat this life as my one chance and make the most of it, live it to the full.
Obviously because I do not believe in any god, it follows that I do not believe in god's kingdom; so threats and warnings do not effect my thought process.
I have not denied god, I can assure you in younger years I looked, but the more I looked the more I became convinced that gods were man made concept and in most cases religion is a controlling and money making enterprise.
So if god wants to get in touch, he knows where I am.
btw Which god is it you refer to, Zeus, Thor, Allah, Jesus's dad, Poseidon or the Flying Spaghetti Monster? Whichever it is, I hope it is the last as he likes beer, I'll look out for him/her.

Altfish

Veteran Member

You see, when I get there and find there is no God, what did I lose, nothing.

But when I get there and there is God, I have everything to gain.
That's Pascal Wager which has been debunked that many times, I'm surprised you have the gall to quote it.
It falls down because you are assuming that this god that will appear is the one you happen to worship.
What if on your death bed Zeus appears? You've spent years worshipping the wrong god. Come and join me in hell!!