• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism and arrogance

Piculet

Are atheists arrogant because they don't believe or do they not believe because they are arrogant?

I believe the latter is the correct view.

Qur'an 7:146 "Those who behave arrogantly on the earth in defiance of right - them will I turn away from My signs: Even if they see all the signs, they will not believe in them; and if they see the way of right conduct, they will not adopt it as the way; but if they see the way of error, that is the way they will adopt. For they have rejected our signs, and failed to take warning from them."

It is God's law that evil-doers do not and cannot take any lesson from the otherwise instructive events which they observe. The arrogance mentioned here refers to man's delusion that he is on a higher plane than God's creatures and servants. It is this which prompts him to disregard God's command and to adopt an attitude which suggests that he neither considers himself God's servant, nor God his Lord. Such egotism has no basis in fact; it is sheer vanity. For as long as man live on God's earth, what can justify his living as a servant of anyone other than the Lord of the universe? It is for this reason that the Qur'an declares this arrogance to be 'without any right'.

Surah Al-A'raf 7:142-147 - Towards Understanding the Quran - Quran Translation Commentary - Tafheem ul Quran

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Are atheists arrogant because they don't believe or do they not believe because they are arrogant?

Qur'an 7:146 "Those who behave arrogantly on the earth in defiance of right - them will I turn away from My signs: Even if they see all the signs, they will not believe in them; and if they see the way of right conduct, they will not adopt it as the way; but if they see the way of error, that is the way they will adopt. For they have rejected our signs, and failed to take warning from them."

Oh look, another Atheist hating thread based on ignorance.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Well, at least we are not arrogant enough to believe that an almighty being created the whole Universe for us.

Ciao

- viole

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Arrogance leads to atheism? Have you never seen the arrogance of religious people before? In fact, someone believing they and they alone have God's truth, is itself arrogance. Are they on that road to atheism?

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

Hey look! Another "my holy book says it, that's all the evidence I need!" thread.

If you're just going to insult people on this forum instead of making a rational argument, you may go.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

It is God's law that evil-doers do not and cannot take any lesson from the otherwise instructive events which they observe. The arrogance mentioned here refers to man's delusion that he is on a higher plane than God's creatures and servants. It is this which prompts him to disregard God's command and to adopt an attitude which suggests that he neither considers himself God's servant, nor God his Lord. Such egotism has no basis in fact; it is sheer vanity. For as long as man live on God's earth, what can justify his living as a servant of anyone other than the Lord of the universe?

It's not necessarily "arrogance," although I suppose there might be some who would fit that description. As an agnostic (sometimes called a "weak atheist"), I'm not going to claim to have any knowledge which I don't have. If I don't know something, I'm not afraid to say it. As far as I'm concerned, it's the most honest position I can take. If God does exist, how could He fault me for being honest?

If God showed Himself to all or came to me directly, then that would be one thing. If some human being came along and claimed to be a messenger or that he/she spoke directly with God, I might even take that into consideration (although that wouldn't be enough to make me believe automatically). But when it's someone who has never personally met God, and is really just a messenger of a messenger of a messenger of a messenger (ad infinitum), then I might start to become doubtful and skeptical.

And with so many different "messengers" and proselytizers out there trying to hawk their own religion, which can often be in conflict with other religions, then I might wonder which religion is "correct" and might worry about picking the "wrong" religion.

There's a religion which requires that virgins be sacrificed to a volcano every so often. What if that's the true and correct religion, and everyone else has been wrong? How do we know that's not the case?

It seems that picking a religion might be a spiritual version of "Russian Roulette," so it one chooses to opt out, I can't see how it's arrogant.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I don't believe because I am ignorant. I have no knowledge about God that I feel is reliable. I know there are lots of beliefs about God but none are testable. How in my ignorance can I rely on what this person says or that person says?

Many have their own ideas about who or what God is. I'd rather accept the truth that I have no idea about God.

Cooky

Veteran Member

Be very, very careful. This is a *super-sensitive* topic here at RF.

...But you're alright to rag on Islam all day. Atheism is untouchable, however.

Last edited: