• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

At what point is it just not worth discussing?

Lorgar-Aurelian

AT what point do you stop discussing or debating with someone? I've talked to numerous people about all sorts of things and at a certain point it starts to seem to me that it's just not even worth going further. People get emotion or believe things so ridiculous that it's impossible to take them seriously.

I've had people tell me , when we lived in the same neighborhood had the same kind of house and family ect, that I was more privileged than him because I was white. I've had people tell me Islam is a religion of peace after discussing Islamic terrorism. I've had people try to convince me there are trump concentration camps across America to put illegals into.

I get to the point where I don't want to discuss things because I start to feel like the vast majority of people around me are god damn nuts.

Then there are the people that don't seem to listen. You provide sources, you provide reasoning but they just stick with what they started with without thinking. Of course all reasoning is a slave to the passion but still.

meghanwaterlillies

AT what point do you stop discussing or debating with someone? I've talked to numerous people about all sorts of things and at a certain point it starts to seem to me that it's just not even worth going further. People get emotion or believe things so ridiculous that it's impossible to take them seriously.

I've had people tell me , when we lived in the same neighborhood had the same kind of house and family ect, that I was more privileged than him because I was white. I've had people tell me Islam is a religion of peace after discussing Islamic terrorism. I've had people try to convince me there are trump concentration camps across America to put illegals into.

I get to the point where I don't want to discuss things because I start to feel like the vast majority of people around me are god damn nuts.

Then there are the people that don't seem to listen. You provide sources, you provide reasoning but they just stick with what they started with without thinking. Of course all reasoning is a slave to the passion but still.
I only provide evidence to things where it is evident and show the bullsh*t to where this is or there is bowlsh*t.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
AT what point do you stop discussing or debating with someone?

It varies. With old arguments I've heard before, or when you get the 'I'm right and you're wrong' condescending stuff, probably not soon enough personally. Some second chances though, maybe, like three strikes and you're out.

Civil discussion is different than debate.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I enjoy debate and critical thinking. I think once the debate goes circular and exchanges repeat over and over, I'd likely bow out and grab the popcorn and spectate if the subject is interesting enough.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic

When they can only respond by calling everyone who disagrees with them a liar.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
You're a liar.

iu

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
AT what point do you stop discussing or debating with someone?

I was making a list of things, but when it comes right down to it, there is really only one thing that matters.

I'll stop dialoguing with someone when it becomes apparent that mutual listening and understanding is not going to happen.

There are any number of reasons for that. It could be because they start breaking the forum rules while expressing themselves. Maybe their English composition skills are so terrible I can't follow their posts and it is not worth the effort. Other times, their tone comes across as angry or hostile, like they are interrogating me instead of aiming to hear my story. Perhaps I sense a lack of respect, a need to win or be right? It just depends.

I don't believe "listen" should become conflated with "agrees with me." Listening means hearing the other person out and trying to understand where they are coming from. It means asking them follow-up questions, not trying to convince them your perspective is the right one, much less accusing them of things like "not thinking."

People failing to practice listening is actually one of the things that makes me stop dialoguing with them. If I can turn the conversation around to get them to tell their story without it being some sort of contest with me, I might continue it, but if they keep being all competitive about it, I tend to check out.

Unless I'm bored. Sometimes I don't if I'm bored.

Akivah

It varies. The most common reasons:
a) I get bored of the discussion
b) the topic devolves into philosophy (i.e. prove you're really here type arguments)
c) the opponent proves to me they are incapable of rational discussion
d) the opponent just has insults.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
It varies. The most common reasons:
a) I get bored of the discussion
b) the topic devolves into philosophy (i.e. prove you're really here type arguments)
c) the opponent proves to me they are incapable of rational discussion
d) the opponent just has insults.
e) the [non-Jew] opponent tries to define what a Jew is and it usually has nothing to do with orthodox Judaism.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate

I've been called a lot of names here, but no worse than the names I called people when I was an atheist. Nobody is going t concede defeat here, but it doesn't mean you are not making a difference

With a respectable behavior and a mutual true interest in the matter anything can be discussed with fine rewards.
Nonetheless, often are issues with communication with is really not intentional by any part... But in those terms, the talks can come back later.

VioletVortex

Generally, it's always the other person that stops the argument. They get annoyed, probably that they're wrong and I'm right.