• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

At what age did you become conscious?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I remember remembering the experience of being born. Does that count? The memory was actually quite frightening....a kind of pulsating darkness and pressure and finally the darkness broke into a thousand shards of very very bright light and very loud sound which apparently was me crying.
Other than that, the earliest memory I have is me looking into a sunset in a bored way from bed and thinking "yet another sunset".

I think I have a mild phobia of sunrises... I'm not completely sure why, but I think years of getting up for school probably didn't help(I hated school).

jbg

So, how old were you when your memory starts?
I'm guessing when I was around two or three, when I had strep throat. I was a bit languid at a visit to my great aunt's in Goldens Bridge so my grandmother decided to drive me home early. I remember her saying, in the car "east west home is best." After that I'd have to say my fourth birthday party.

wellwisher

The idea of becoming conscious has another meaning. For example, when did you become conscious of being manipulated by your own biases and the super ego of culture? This type of consciousness requires that you question all that you were taught, acquired, and blindly accepted, so you can figure out what is keeping you unconscious; herd animal.

There is also becoming conscious in the sense of enlightenment. This comes after you question what you were taught and accepted without questions. You have sorted this out, and you begin the journey toward the truth; enlightenment. This is full consciousness.

For me the first wave of consciousness; aware of where I was unconscious, began as a teen. The second level started later, at about my early 30's, with enlightenment decades later.