• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

At last, Raven Paradox is solved!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Hitler was christian, i know, i know, there are billions of Christians refute that by denying evidence. They may believe what they want.
Mother Theresa's sad and disturbing legacy is not what you think it is
Hawking is dead and was atheist

Contravertial but must be said, Jesus hung about with men and never married?
I'll add that the idea of the "perfect human" would be personal.
Perfection is something important to theists, but not to this heathen.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I'll add that the idea of the "perfect human" would be personal.
Perfection is something important to theists, but not to this heathen.

Depends on your interpretation of perfection. Theists and non theists strive for different ideas of perfection.

Of course the theist idea must be much more valid and perfect than the non theist idea, or so they keep telling everyone

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
If everyone became homosexual we could still reproduce.
Yeah, very soon, very soon. We are going to change the sex of an embryo or control the process to produce any kind of human that we want, male, female, or the third.
Contravertial but must be said, Jesus hung about with men and never married?
The other Mary. Disturbed childhood? Not the son of his father?

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Yeah, very soon, very soon. We are going to change the sex of an embryo or control the process to produce any kind of human that we want, male, female, or the third.
It doesn't really require anything particularly high tech.

The procreation procedure need only take a few minutes, a few times, and you're done with it. Almost anybody can do it. Making babies is notoriously easy to do.
Tom

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The procreation procedure need only take a few minutes, a few times, and you're done with it. Almost anybody can do it. Making babies is notoriously easy to do.
True, I remember how hard we tried to avoid it. We were among the people who could do it all the time. But I was talking about the possibilities of taking cells from two differently sexed partners and producing an embryo for surrogacy.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
True, I remember how hard we tried to avoid it. We were among the people who could do it all the time. But I was talking about the possibilities of taking cells from two differently sexed partners and producing an embryo for surrogacy.
Truly, I understood that.

My comment was mainly directed at people who assert that homosexuality is an existential threat to the human race.

The fact is that 95% of all human sexual encounters could be homosex and still not make a dent in the over population problem. Personally, I kinda have a problem with high tech procreation. It costs a ton of money, which strikes me as immoral in a world with so many needy children already. I'm inclined to support efforts to better care for the people already here, especially children.
Tom

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Personally, I kinda have a problem with high tech procreation. It costs a ton of money, which strikes me as immoral in a world with so many needy children already. I'm inclined to support efforts to better care for the people already here, especially children.
I differ with that. Without new people coming in the average age will inch up, more old people for the young people to support, less young people to work in industry, business, etc. It will be counter productive. The success of Indian population program has resulted in this. Though I have no problem with your last sentence.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I differ with that. Without new people coming in the average age will inch up, more old people for the young people to support, less young people to work in industry, business, etc. It will be counter productive.
The part I was talking about was the high tech part.

People spend 10s of thousands of dollars or more on high tech fertility when zillions of kids are dying for lack of clean water or a bag of rice or something. I have a moral issue with that.
Tom

leroy

INTRODUCTION

MY CONTRIBUTION

The author of the paradox calls the sentence "All Ravens are black" as a hypothesis. However, we must call it as a part of the definition of the raven; namely, the raven is defined by form, by size, by actions, by sound, and by color. All key characteristics must match for us to call the object as "raven". Hereby the color of the raven is the identity of the bird because no blue ravens were seen. Yes, the ravens with only one wing were seen, and the mutated ravens with two heads could be seen somewhere, but these features are not part of raven identity, because they were seen and are known to be departure from norm: sickness. However, only black ravens are being seen so far. So, the color of the raven is included in the definition of the raven.
It is counterintuitive, but it is not really a paradox…….sure the observation of a green apple counts as evidence for the hypothesis “all ravens are black”

Imagine a universe with 100 objects (all we have is 100 objects) some objects are ravens and others are no-ravens.

You observed 90 objects and you saw no non-black raven…….then you make observation #91 and it was a green apple.

Given this then sure, given observation #91 the original hypothesis “all ravens are black” is more likely to be true than without observation #91

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I differ with that. Without new people coming in the average age will inch up, more old people for the young people to support, less young people to work in industry, business, etc. It will be counter productive. The success of Indian population program has resulted in this. Though I have no problem with your last sentence.
So how are we going to decrease the population and save the planet? Population is already beyond carrying capacity.

I realize the economy and certain aspects of our social system are dependent on perpetual growth, but clearly unchecked growth within a finite system is untenable. The Earth is not going to expand, which means if we don't check our population growth at some point humanity's going to undergo a catastrophic crash.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
People spend 10s of thousands of dollars or more on high tech fertility when zillions of kids are dying for lack of clean water or a bag of rice or something. I have a moral issue with that.
Agree with you there. But drastic population measures are not the way (one child or none). We should be aware of the problem and work to eradicate it. India has the most poor in the world but poverty is decreasing.

Median age by country, CIA World Factbook 2018 est.
550px-Median_age_by_country%2C_2016.svg.png

List of countries by median age - Wikipedia

"As of 2020, the incidence of multidimensional poverty has significantly reduced, declining from 54.7 percent to 6 percent."
271 million fewer poor people in India | UNDP in India

Last edited:

Tambourine

The increase in old people is mainly due to massive advances in medical technology and the widespread establishment of public healthcare systems. In my opinion, it is a side effect of how far we have come as a society, not a problem in need of a solution.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Care for old, pensions, unavaiability of work force. IMHO, it will require corrections.
https://money.usnews.com/money/retirement/slideshows/10-rapidly-aging-countries

"Younger countries
Russia is slightly younger that the U.S., with the proportion of senior citizens expected to grow from 13.3 percent in 2014 to 20.1 percent in 2030. In China, retirees make up just 9.6 percent of the population, which is expected to increase to 17.2 percent by 2030. And in India, where only 5.8 percent of people are senior citizens, just 8.8 percent of the population will be 65 or older in 2030."

Last edited: