• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

At last, Raven Paradox is solved!

questfortruth

INTRODUCTION

MY CONTRIBUTION

The author of the paradox calls the sentence "All Ravens are black" as a hypothesis. However, we must call it as a part of the definition of the raven; namely, the raven is defined by form, by size, by actions, by sound, and by color. All key characteristics must match for us to call the object as "raven". Hereby the color of the raven is the identity of the bird because no blue ravens were seen. Yes, the ravens with only one wing were seen, and the mutated ravens with two heads could be seen somewhere, but these features are not part of raven identity, because they were seen and are known to be departure from norm: sickness. However, only black ravens are being seen so far. So, the color of the raven is included in the definition of the raven.

APPLICATION, IN MY PERSONAL OPINION

By the same talken the homosexuality and atheism will never be included into definition of a human, because it is not the identity of the human.

However, the theism was considered the norm for a human just some 200 years ago (before the Darwinian Revolution). Therefore, it should be included into identity of the human. And, if so, some human can loose the Existence, becoming zombie like Adolf Hitler or satan. IT IS IN MY PERSONAL OPINION.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The author of the paradox calls the sentence "All Ravens are black" as a hypothesis. However, we must call it as a part of the definition of the raven; namely, the raven is defined by form, by size, by actions, by sound, and by color. All key characteristics must match for us to call the object as "raven". Hereby the color of the raven is the identity of the bird because no blue ravens were seen. Yes, the ravens with only one wing were seen, and the mutated ravens with two heads could be seen somewhere, but these features are not part of raven identity, because they were seen and are known to be departure from norm: sickness. However, only black ravens are being seen so far. So, the color of the raven is included in the definition of the raven.
Mutations and things not normal do not disqualify something from being of its species. Thus, I present the albino raven.
uw3y123qtf511.jpg

By the same talken the homosexuality and atheism will never be included into definition of a human, because it is not the identity of the human.
The definition of a human doesn't include individual beliefs, ideologies, and what not.
However, the theism was considered the norm for a human just some 200 years ago (before the Darwinian Revolution). Therefore, it should be included into identity of the human. And, if so, some human can loose the Existence, becoming zombie like Adolf Hitler or satan. IT IS IN MY PERSONAL OPINION.
Slavery, domestic abuse, and widespread alcohol abuse (it makes todays abuse seem like moderation) were also very common just 200 years ago or less. Should rhose be a definition of and included in human identity?

Last edited:

questfortruth

Slavery, domestic abuse, and widespread alcohol abuse (it makes todays abuse seem like moderation) were also very common just 200 years ago or less. Should rhose be a definition of and included in human identity?

Let us think following: if everybody would be homosexual, then it is the end of humankind. Thus, homosexuality should not be our identity. If everybody would be atheist, then there would be no hope for better life, for protection, for good feeling. No comforting thoughts at death bed. Thus, the atheism is not our identity.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Let us think following: if everybody would be homosexual, then it is the end of humankind. Thus, homosexuality should not be our identity. If everybody would be atheist, then there would be no hope for better life, for protection, for good feeling. No comforting thoughts at death bed. Thus, the atheism is not our identity.

I am afraid every thing you have said so far is illogical and rubbish

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Let us think following: if everybody would be homosexual, then it is the end of humankind. Thus, homosexuality should not be our identity..
No, all that would happen is surrogacy would skyrocket. Sexual orientation is not the same as having babies.
Granted heterosexuality might encourage that. But it’s not a guarantee.
Besides if everyone was a woman, we’d all die out. Does that mean women are not human?

If everybody would be atheist, then there would be no hope for better life, for protection, for good feeling. No comforting thoughts at death bed. Thus, the atheism is not our identity.
Nonsense. Existentialism is a philosophical position that there is no inherent meaning to life. And yet they seem more than eager to take life by the horns and celebrate its beautiful nonsense. I think some schools of Nihilism too. Atheism doesn’t preclude human comfort. You’re thinking of sociopathy.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If everyone became homosexual we could still reproduce.
And speak for yourself about atheism. Ive known many, and there are many more on this site, whi don't have thos problems or issues you speak of.

questfortruth

Last edited:

HonestJoe

The author of the paradox calls the sentence "All Ravens are black" as a hypothesis. However, we must call it as a part of the definition of the raven; namely, the raven is defined by form, by size, by actions, by sound, and by color.
That is a complete misunderstanding (or misrepresentation) of the point of a hypothesis. The whole idea is to use the hypothesis to test our belief that, in this example, "all ravens are black".

This also has literally nothing to do with the actual paradox and certainly isn't any kind of resolution (something it really already has several of).

Because those are not fundamental features like the blackness of ravens, they're individual characteristics.

However, the theism was considered the norm for a human just some 200 years ago (before the Darwinian Revolution).
Questionable anyway but just being "the norm" for a limited period of time would still not be equivalent to the blackness of ravens, which is essentially ubiquitous. Theism is an individual characteristic, just like atheism or homosexuality, and none of them are fundamental to what it is to be a human being.

IT IS IN MY PERSONAL OPINION.
Your personal opinion is factually wrong.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
INTRODUCTION

MY CONTRIBUTION

I think people are using "identity" more in a cultural context than definitively.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
INTRODUCTION

MY CONTRIBUTION

We make up definitions for words because they're useful to describe
things, eg, concepts, objects, animals. But we regularly discover
that they don't fit new discoveries about these things. And so they
change. No big deal.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Mutations and things not normal do not disqualify something from being of its species. Thus, I present the albino raven.
uw3y123qtf511.jpg

The definition of a human doesn't include individual beliefs, ideologies, and what not.

I just downloaded that very image to post in reply to this thread. You won.

ChristineM

Premium Member

Nor is washing the pots, driving the car, worshipping the god you sit on your shoulder, your point being?

ChristineM

Premium Member
Adolf Hitler is very bad. Mother Theresa is very good. Steven Hawking is very smart and kind.
Consider PERFECT HUMAN. Can He be an atheist? Can He be gay?

Hitler was christian, i know, i know, there are billions of Christians refute that by denying evidence. They may believe what they want.
Mother Theresa's sad and disturbing legacy is not what you think it is
Hawking is dead and was atheist

Contravertial but must be said, Jesus hung about with men and never married?