• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Astronomers discover 7 Earth-sized planets orbiting nearby star

sovietchild

Astronomers have found at least seven Earth-sized planets orbiting the same star 40 light-years away, according to a study published Wednesday in the journal Nature. The findings were also announced at a news conference at NASA Headquarters in Washington.

This discovery outside of our solar system is rare because the planets have the winning combination of being similar in size to Earth and being all temperate, meaning they could have water on their surfaces and potentially support life.

Astronomers discover 7 Earth-sized planets orbiting nearby star - CNN.com

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Only three of the planets orbit in the "Goldilocks Zone" where it is likely that they would have liquid water on their surface -- and thus possibly life. The other four are either too hot or too cold for it to be likely there's liquid water on their surfaces.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
I am sure life, intelligent life, will be found all throughout the universe once we stop warring here and start putting monies into improving our lives and developing science.

In our Faith it says there are creatures all over the universe so it's just a matter of time before we meet them.

Know thou that every fixed star hath its own planets, and every planet its own creatures, whose number no man can compute. -Baha'u'llah

Abdu'l-Bahá stated there are other worlds than ours which are inhabited by beings capable of knowing God. -Shoghi Effendi

The earth has its inhabitants, the water and the air contain many living beings… then how is it possible to conceive that these stupendous stellar bodies are not inhabited? Verily, they are peopled, but let it be known that the dwellers accord with the elements of their respective spheres. These living beings do not have states of consciousness like unto those who live on the surface of this globe: the power of adaptation and environment molds their bodies and states of consciousness, just as our bodies and minds are suited to our planet. – Abdu’l-Baha, Divine Philosophy, pp. 114-115.

David T

Premium Member
Do they have any glaciers? Because we know a planet without glaciers is doomed.
And if they do have intelligent life with advanced science then they probably are about as bright as rabbits over running the enviroment squabbling. Some are probably waiting for theit version of the appocolypse some will be pushing for more science "we must have more science to fix the problems science has created, correct that, what people's activities have created" all of course in some other language.

David T

Premium Member
Astronomers have found at least seven Earth-sized planets orbiting the same star 40 light-years away, according to a study published Wednesday in the journal Nature. The findings were also announced at a news conference at NASA Headquarters in Washington.

This discovery outside of our solar system is rare because the planets have the winning combination of being similar in size to Earth and being all temperate, meaning they could have water on their surfaces and potentially support life.

Astronomers discover 7 Earth-sized planets orbiting nearby star - CNN.com
I used to find this be a really really interesting topic but I really don't care any more. For me, my personal view only, not right or wrong, is that I am more curious now about fermis paradox than discovering intelligent life somewhere else. 40 light years is no small distance. The time it took me to write this is about the distance to the sun in light year terms.

whirlingmerc

I am sure life, intelligent life, will be found all throughout the universe once we stop warring here and start putting monies into improving our lives and developing science.

In our Faith it says there are creatures all over the universe so it's just a matter of time before we meet them.

Know thou that every fixed star hath its own planets, and every planet its own creatures, whose number no man can compute. -Baha'u'llah

Abdu'l-Bahá stated there are other worlds than ours which are inhabited by beings capable of knowing God. -Shoghi Effendi

The earth has its inhabitants, the water and the air contain many living beings… then how is it possible to conceive that these stupendous stellar bodies are not inhabited? Verily, they are peopled, but let it be known that the dwellers accord with the elements of their respective spheres. These living beings do not have states of consciousness like unto those who live on the surface of this globe: the power of adaptation and environment molds their bodies and states of consciousness, just as our bodies and minds are suited to our planet. – Abdu’l-Baha, Divine Philosophy, pp. 114-115.
Take a rock just add water and there's life? It's too simplistic.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
I used to find this be a really really interesting topic but I really don't care any more. For me, my personal view only, not right or wrong, is that I am more curious now about fermis paradox than discovering intelligent life somewhere else. 40 light years is no small distance. The time it took me to write this is about the distance to the sun in light year terms.

Yes, these stories are generally clickbait

The great silence of the galaxy, the fermi paradox, the mathematical odds against any planet being anything like Earth, or complex life existing on planets that were not very much like Earth.. I think give us a clearer picture than artistic impressions inspired by vague flickerings of stars

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Only three of the planets orbit in the "Goldilocks Zone" where it is likely that they would have liquid water on their surface -- and thus possibly life. The other four are either too hot or too cold for it to be likely there's liquid water on their surfaces.

Better chances than our solar system, that only has earth in the Goldilocks zone.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Take a rock just add water and there's life? It's too simplistic.

If that star is the same generation as earth. it will have the same elements in similar quantities.
And have had the same length of time for life to develop or to have been seeded.
But there is no reason to suppose it is anything like us at all.

whirlingmerc

If that star is the same generation as earth. it will have the same elements in similar quantities.
And have had the same length of time for life to develop or to have been seeded.
But there is no reason to suppose it is anything like us at all.
Although I believe in special creation not spontaneous evolution life from non life

David T

Premium Member
Yes, these stories are generally clickbait

The great silence of the galaxy, the fermi paradox, the mathematical odds against any planet being anything like Earth, or complex life existing on planets that were not very much like Earth.. I think give us a clearer picture than artistic impressions inspired by vague flickerings of stars
Yep!! They inspire us. Which btw is really the meaning God breathed in and art to be inspired!!

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
Yep!! They inspire us. Which btw is really the meaning God breathed in and art to be inspired!!

I would agree with that, we all get a tiny little bit of God's talent, artistry, creativity-

only by this and a long list of other incredible 'coincidences', are able to observe and study things like this

QHyrDY.jpg

David T

Premium Member
Although I believe in special creation not spontaneous evolution life from non life
Could you express a bit clearer what you intend by saying special creation. Do you mean a reality outside of reality generating reality like this is a virtual reality? There is a 10 to the power huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge problem in religion right there. Its not even biblical in context to the new testament. One reason is there is a magician behind it all called nature, cosmos, the logos in the bible, Not the mind. You have the mind controlling the cosmos science has laws of physics, math controlling, this is more simuliar than different and profoundly problematic in religion and in science with great and very very serious consequences. The curious little battles between what some claim is science and those in religion is silly fantasy nonsense. We fiddle and Rome burns. Which may be a needed and healthy thing..but oh oh oh so painful.

Last edited: