• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Astrology and Abrahamic Religions

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
How do Abrahamic Religions see astrology --- Divination through planetary positions.

Is it allowed or forbidden?Do you consider it as a part of your religion?

Thank you!!

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I have never understood: If judeo-christian theological views don't include things such as 'divination' or 'necromancy', why are they forbidden? Do you believe they work and shouldn't be used, or that they're simply all hokey pokey? If the latter, what is the harm?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
One thing I have never understood: If judeo-christian theological views don't include things such as 'divination' or 'necromancy', why are they forbidden? Do you believe they work and shouldn't be used, or that they're simply all hokey pokey? If the latter, what is the harm?
Both. some sages held that such practices are mindless rituals and should be separated from serious worship. while other people might have held these beliefs to be a source of danger.

arthra

Baha'i
How do Abrahamic Religions see astrology --- Divination through planetary positions.

Is it allowed or forbidden?Do you consider it as a part of your religion?

Thank you!!

Baha'is place more credence on what was revealed in Holy Scriptures than say what someone prognosticates from the stars or planets. Astrology would be viewed say as closer to superstition or placing one's beliefs on a "forecast".. reading entrails of a goat or tea leaves..

- Art

master_che

From the Abrahamic, to be more specific the Judeo-Christian worldview (without denying the other religions that claim to be Abrahamic), forbids astrology for the following:

-It is always related to worship of that which is not the True God who reveals Himself in many ways, enough for people to know about Him and how come before Him, the people of old and not that old who relate to that usually had a tendency to relate such acts with idolatry, or supernatural activity contrary to the character of God.

-It supposes a way of knowing the future, some cases the past, and other times thing regarding the present, the problem is that people who practice such never have 100% accuracy which put to doubt is veracity, just by thinking about it, why should I go with something uncertain, when the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob already has all the fundamental answer for my life, He knows my past, is concern about my present conditions, and wants to guide and direct me looking forward for me to be with Him through Christ Jesus. The True God as revealed in the Scriptures (Bible) is the only One who knows everything from beginning to end and who will bring everything to its fulfillment.

-By divination regardless the way of practice that which is not been revealed is supposed, it becomes an object of manipulation, whether from person to person, or from demon to person, The Lord Christ is actually concern for the wellfare of His creatures, plus He came to destroy the deeds of the devil, that is why He opposed to it because people don't get in contact with the True God but rather with demonic forces.
-God revealed Himself in 3 definite ways: 1) Natural world, something exist, therefore a Creator must be; 2) Special revelation like prophecy, which inspired by God came to us in what is known as the Bible; 3) and ultimately through Jesus Christ who is the only revealer of God to humankind.
By prophecy in particular we don't mean divination, even by means of astrology, but rather a clear message from the God to the people, which is very sure to come to happen, because God cannot lie nor be mistaken.

To the satanist guy the reply I made should suffice but allow me to add: Neither because it work, nor because is hockey.. whatever, but actually because there is not real communication with the dead world, as with satanic forces in the worst case, why shall the living consult to the dead? plus Satan just came to steal, kill, destroy. on the other hand He who wants to consult come to the Lord the living God, Jesus also said that He came so we can have live, and live to the full, so I ask again why shall the living consult to the dead, when Jesus is alive and He bring live to us?

Thank you,

master_che

The Bible always address the issue of astrology with severity because the heaven has always been fascinating to people, and people in their quest to the transcendental were unable to find something of more grandeur than that.

In the proper perspective:
The heavens are telling of the glory of God;
And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands. Psalms 19:1​

Jingkaide

The Bible always address the issue of astrology with severity because the heaven has always been fascinating to people, and people in their quest to the transcendental were unable to find something of more grandeur than that.

In the proper perspective:
The heavens are telling of the glory of God;
And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands. Psalms 19:1​

This is very true, however, I believe that there is some truth to true divination of the stars through a Godly perspective. Ergo, why would one not be able to obtain signs from God through the stars? For example; The "Wise Men"(Magyars) believed that using the stars in that way would bring them closer to God/The Universe. This is what led them to the birth of Christ, which they did not really get to him until he was older(about 2 or 3).