• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assuming THE FLOOD Did Happen . . .

sooda

Veteran Member
It's important because it throws doubt on everything else in the Bible. Knowing that the flood account was just a story, the Tower of Babel was just a story, the talking serpent in the garden was just a story, David slaying Goliath was just a story, etc. etc. why should one believe the Jesus account was not just a story?

I'll tell you why. People NEED the account to be true, and NEED trumps everything else.

I disagree.. Aesop's Fables is also didactic literature.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Maybe the jealousy part, but Hebrew mythology was highly influenced by the culture of the region they inhabited and to deny that would be denying reality.
so .....if you could have been there....

you would have called their belief a ....myth
and claim you know reality

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The goal was to kill evil people and it seems to have been successful, or do you think the people still live?

Yup, the books says god killed everyone and everything (including innocent children and unborn fetuses) except for a close buddy and the buddied immediate family.

And still evil exists.

Skwim

Veteran Member
The goal was to kill evil people and it seems to have been successful,
To kill evil people. To kill innocent people. To kill innocent animals. To kill innocent plants. To kill innocent fungi. To kill innocent bacteria.

or do you think the people still live?
Are there not people living today who do evil things?

As is quite evident, god's plan was a huge fizzle. A little foresight might have been handy, don't ya think?

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
A little foresight might have been handy, don't ya think?
yeah....I think....

to have allowed mankind to continue with an allegedly corrupted spirit
would have overrun the planet too quickly
and the higher level of spirit would not have gelled

sometimes.....there are just too many weeds

...Are there not people living today who do evil things?

Bible doesn’t claim the goal was also make it impossible for remaining people and future people to reject God and do evil. The goal was simply to kill the people that were evil then. And I think it is interesting how you try to twist it to some other meaning.

And yes, world seems to have again many evil people. And it is sad thing and similarly as evil was before destroyed, evil will again be destroyed.

Yup, the books says god killed everyone and everything (including innocent children and unborn fetuses) except for a close buddy and the buddied immediate family.

And still evil exists.

Book doesn’t say God killed innocent life. Book doesn’t also say that the goal was to kill also all future evil people then. But don’t worry, the end of all evil will come eventually.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Book doesn’t say God killed innocent life. Book doesn’t also say that the goal was to kill also all future evil people then. But don’t worry, the end of all evil will come eventually.

So you assume that innocent children and fetuses can swim for a year. Interesting

You also seem to be saying that god sent the flood to drown everyone but not kill them, he sent the flood because the people he designed were wicked and evil and corrupt but people are still wicked and evil and corrupt so he failed at getting his housekeeping right too

Skwim

Veteran Member
Bible doesn’t claim the goal was also make it impossible for remaining people and future people to reject God and do evil. The goal was simply to kill the people that were evil then.
So he got tired of the old evil doers and simply wanted new ones. Interesting. And all he had to do was wipe 99.999999 . . . 9999% of all life off the face of the planet, which is even more interesting.

And I think it is interesting how you try to twist it to some other meaning.
What did I twist into something else? Think any life, other than what was taken aboard the ark, survived?

And yes, world seems to have again many evil people. And it is sad thing and similarly as evil was before destroyed, evil will again be destroyed.
But considering that god creates evil, he again got what he wanted, which, as before, he will no doubt eventually tire of and destroy, and then start over with new evil doers. Kind of a stupid cycle don't ya think?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
The Torah and Talmud are not exactly like the OT..

The OT canon is what we have in our Bibles today. According to The Encyclopaedia Judaica ....“The meaning of the word [torah] is therefore ‘teaching,’ ‘doctrine,’ or ‘instruction.’”

The Talmud OTOH, sets out an exhaustive code of conduct that addresses every aspect of life. By the time of the Middle Ages, many Jews revered the Talmud more than the Scriptures. Although the Talmud provides interesting background information on Jewish traditions and interpretation of the Scriptures, it teaches people to think legalistically, not in terms of God’s justice and love.

The Talmud also reflects the influence of superstition and Greek philosophy on Jewish thinking, including the notion that the soul is immortal.

What does Babylon have to do with doctrine?

It is not hard to trace many of Catholicism's doctrines back to ancient Babylon.

Mother goddess worship for example was originally based on Nimrod's mother Semiramis. After the death of her son Semiramis placed him among the gods, thereby making herself "the mother of God". All of the titles associated with Mary come from her titles.

The trinity can also be traced back to Nimrod and Semiramis as well.

More details here if you are interested...
Strongholds of False Religion Established Worldwide from Babylon — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY

sooda

Veteran Member
The OT canon is what we have in our Bibles today. According to The Encyclopaedia Judaica ....“The meaning of the word [torah] is therefore ‘teaching,’ ‘doctrine,’ or ‘instruction.’”

The Talmud OTOH, sets out an exhaustive code of conduct that addresses every aspect of life. By the time of the Middle Ages, many Jews revered the Talmud more than the Scriptures. Although the Talmud provides interesting background information on Jewish traditions and interpretation of the Scriptures, it teaches people to think legalistically, not in terms of God’s justice and love.

The Talmud also reflects the influence of superstition and Greek philosophy on Jewish thinking, including the notion that the soul is immortal.

It is not hard to trace many of Catholicism's doctrines back to ancient Babylon.

Mother goddess worship for example was originally based on Nimrod's mother Semiramis. After the death of her son Semiramis placed him among the gods, thereby making herself "the mother of God". All of the titles associated with Mary come from her titles.

The trinity can also be traced back to Nimrod and Semiramis as well.

More details here if you are interested...
Strongholds of False Religion Established Worldwide from Babylon — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY

Yes I know.

But considering that god creates evil, he again got what he wanted, which, as before, he will no doubt eventually tire of and destroy, and then start over with new evil doers. Kind of a stupid cycle don't ya think?

Actually, evil is nothing, it is like emptiness or darkness. Evil is what is left when good is not in place. Evil is lack of good, like darkness is lack of light. Evil is what remains when good is absent. And good is absent, when people reject God and God leaves people to be alone. So, if we say “God creates evil”, it means God leaves people alone, without Him, in darkness, where without God all evil things are possible.

I think this is not “stupid cycle”, this is good way to teach what good and evil means. Luckily not all love more evil than good. And those who are righteous can have eternal life with God.

... he sent the flood because the people he designed were wicked and evil and corrupt but people are still wicked and evil and corrupt so he failed at getting his housekeeping right too

I don’t think all people in all times have been evil and wicked. But unfortunately, many are.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Actually, evil is nothing, it is like emptiness or darkness. Evil is what is left when good is not in place. Evil is lack of good, like darkness is lack of light. Evil is what remains when good is absent. And good is absent, when people reject God and God leaves people to be alone. So, if we say “God creates evil”, it means God leaves people alone, without Him, in darkness, where without God all evil things are possible.

I think this is not “stupid cycle”, this is good way to teach what good and evil means. Luckily not all love more evil than good. And those who are righteous can have eternal life with God.
That idea comes from a weak apologetics argument. Evil tends to be an action so it cannot be the lack of something. Like it or not if one believes that Bible one also believes in a God that does evil actions.