• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assuming he exists/existed: Lord, Liar, Loon?

Assuming he existed, was Christ...

• Lord

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Liar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lunatic

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • A more complex response (please share)

Votes: 19 76.0%

• Total voters

Shad

Veteran Member
Not only that, but lots of well funded Christians have been trying to find something resembling solid evidence for a very long time. The fact that they have consistently failed is evidence itself.
Tom

Keep in mind I said as the story is presented in the Bible. There were migrations during the time period. Look up Middle Bronze Age Collapse 2. Archaeologist think some people did leave Egypt thus the Exodus narrative became a foundation myth using those migrations as backgrounds. However those migrations are not the Biblical Exodus as the story is presented.

Some Christians have dropped the literialism. Some can not thus are trapped by their ideology.

Last edited:

Kelly of the Phoenix

In his book Mere Christianity CS Lewis (which I've recently read) says that Christ (as we know him from the bible) himself claimed to be divine, which would mean that if we follow him then we must consider him to be more than simply a wise-man, which is how many secular people imagine him, and some religious folk too...
I find CS Lewis to be a hack. He's not a gospel writer. It's not like I have to care what he thinks. We don't know what Jesus claimed, as we only have the words of people who never met him. Besides, how divine he was depended on the author. Mark's Jesus is not Matthew's. Matthew's is not Luke's. None of the first three are like John's.

They characterize him very differently. He's either a flip-flopper that makes even the most hypocritical politician jealous or the authors are discussing different people, which given that that were a lot of "Josh"'s running around, it's highly likely to be the latter.

I don't think he was a loon.
Why not? His family did. :)

There's another alliterative possibility that Lewis carefully ignores.
Indeed. It's like saying Aslan is liar, lunatic, or lord. He's ignoring it's a character in a story. Even if Jesus is based on someone real or multiple real people, the character is still just a character.

Jesus's value as a moral standard depends entirely on whether hos claims are factually true.
I don't see how that follows, though. A person can say something with spiritual value and yet be just "some guy." Jesus didn't invent morality. He didn't invent the Golden Rule. He's rather kind of superfluous if you consider the Way was just about how to treat others.

Yehoshua was King David reincarnated
I don't see how David is worth recycling, though. He was a major jerk.

It's interesting that some guy, Paul of Tarsus, came out of nowhere to write interpretations of Jesus' life and message.
I still think it's possible that Saul learned of a crackdown on Jews, "saw the light", renamed himself a more Latinized name, and insisted he was a Roman citizen and was totes over Judaism to keep from getting caught up in Order 66 or whatever.

I believe as the Bible tells, Jesus is the image of God
But we all are?

King of Jews.
So, if you're not a Jew, then, God really doesn't care about you?

A lunatic because you have shown evidence of you having a conversation with a fake person that doesn't really exist.
A bot still technically exists, though. It might not have a real body, but it has an electronic existence.

In fact the method of counting years preferred by evangelicals is contradicted by very strong evidence. During the time period that the Bible places the Exodus by the methods of Ussher and others the Egyptian empire stretched north to almost present day Turkey. The story makes no sense since they escaped from Egypt to Egypt.
And paleo-Hebrew was invented around the monarchy period, so what language did Moses write those five books since it surely wouldn't have been even early Hebrew?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Why not? His family did. :)

Indeed. It's like saying Aslan is liar, lunatic, or lord. He's ignoring it's a character in a story. Even if Jesus is based on someone real or multiple real people, the character is still just a character.

I don't see his view as abnormal.

So, if you're not a Jew, then, God really doesn't care about you?...

Bible tells that disciples of Jesus (Christians) are Jews, even if they come from non-Jewish nation.

For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, neither is that circumcision which is outward in the flesh; but he is a Jew who is one inwardly, and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit not in the letter; whose praise is not from men, but from God.
Romans 2:28-29

But if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive, were grafted in among them, and became partaker with them of the root and of the richness of the olive tree; don't boast over the branches. But if you boast, it is not you who support the root, but the root supports you. You will say then, "Branches were broken off, that I might be grafted in." True; by their unbelief they were broken off, and you stand by your faith. Don't be conceited, but fear; for if God didn't spare the natural branches, neither will he spare you.
Romans 11:17-21