• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assisted Suicide - A Helpful Option?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
From http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2018/04/02/after-73-years-of-marriage-this-canadian-couple-chose-to-die-on-their-own-terms/

George and Shirley Brickenden, who are 95 and 94, respectively, decided they didn’t want to wait any longer for death to arrive. They’d been married for 73 years and their bodies weren’t faring so well. Shirley had a heart attack in 2016 and nearly died; she now has rheumatoid arthritis and it in constant pain. George was found passed out, unconscious, on his birthday and his heart was also failing.

Under Canadian law, both of them qualify for what’s known as physician-assisted death. They’re older than 18, Canadian citizens, mentally competent, suffering from a “serious and incurable disease, illness or disability,” and in an “‘advanced state of irreversible decline,’ with enduring and intolerable suffering.” Furthermore, there was no coercion involved. They checked off all the boxes.

And both of them decided to end their lives together, in peace, at the same time last week.

Shortly before 7 p.m., Mrs. Brickenden turned to her husband. “Are you ready?”

“Ready when you are,” he replied.

They walked into their bedroom and lay down together, holding hands. The two doctors, one for each patient, inserted intravenous lines into their arms

Angela rubbed her mom’s feet. [Pamela] rubbed her dad’s. “They smiled, they looked at each other,” Pamela said. Then Mr. Brickenden looked at his children, standing at the end of the bed.

“I love you all,” he said..​

Is this an option that people should enjoy, or some kind of slippery slope?

Mindmaster

Premium Member
This option is our right.
Government just hasn't recognized it yet.

I agree with this, but I still think most people kill themselves over trivial reasons.

I think it says more of Canada that these people rather off themselves than live in it. I personally don't fear death, but I'm in no hurry either. :D I'm in until I'm out...

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

I don't think its a slippery slope, I think its a complex problem that has lots of moving parts. How much money was involved? Are they covering the costs? Were they coerced by living relatives for fortune? What if after the poison is administered they decide they were wrong? How long do they have to opt out? What about loved ones that are against it? Lets say only one spouse wants it but the other and kids are against it. If there is no money, is the state going to pay for it?

You have a nice peaceful story, lacking the hard stuff that got them to that point. Its the hard stuff that worry's me.

Nous

Premium Member
From http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2018/04/02/after-73-years-of-marriage-this-canadian-couple-chose-to-die-on-their-own-terms/

George and Shirley Brickenden, who are 95 and 94, respectively, decided they didn’t want to wait any longer for death to arrive. They’d been married for 73 years and their bodies weren’t faring so well. Shirley had a heart attack in 2016 and nearly died; she now has rheumatoid arthritis and it in constant pain. George was found passed out, unconscious, on his birthday and his heart was also failing.

Under Canadian law, both of them qualify for what’s known as physician-assisted death. They’re older than 18, Canadian citizens, mentally competent, suffering from a “serious and incurable disease, illness or disability,” and in an “‘advanced state of irreversible decline,’ with enduring and intolerable suffering.” Furthermore, there was no coercion involved. They checked off all the boxes.

And both of them decided to end their lives together, in peace, at the same time last week.

They walked into their bedroom and lay down together, holding hands. The two doctors, one for each patient, inserted intravenous lines into their arms

Angela rubbed her mom’s feet. [Pamela] rubbed her dad’s. “They smiled, they looked at each other,” Pamela said. Then Mr. Brickenden looked at his children, standing at the end of the bed.

I support physician-assisted suicide laws (or exemptions from homicide laws). Actually I think most such laws impose requirements for eligibility that are too strict. All the US laws require that a person have a terminal illness with 6 months or less to live. Most require multiple consultations with various doctors.

The Canadian law is better in that it doesn't require the person have only 6 months to live. But it does have a rather strict definition for "grievous and irremediable medical condition". I believe a person should be able to have a physician assist in his/her suicide without such a diagnosis.

Interestingly, the American Psychiatric Association does not seem to recognize any sort of non-psychopathological suicide.

David1967

Premium Member

It should be an option.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
Our inherent rights are to life, liberty, property and self-defense. If I want to off myself for trivial reasons, that's my own business. I have the right to be a dumb as I want on my own dime. My personal limitation is if I become a major burden on others.

But if you ask a doctor, or anyone, to assist you, they, including the state, have a right to decide whether to help you or not and can ask questions in order to make that decision. My only reservation is on what an age limit might be.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Our inherent rights are to life, liberty, property and self-defense. If I want to off myself for trivial reasons, that's my own business. I have the right to be a dumb as I want on my own dime. My personal limitation is if I become a major burden on others.

But if you ask a doctor, or anyone, to assist you, they, including the state, have a right to decide whether to help you or not and can ask questions in order to make that decision. My only reservation is on what an age limit might be.

I agree that nobody should be compelled to assist a suicide.

We can break this matter down into a philosophical one and a pragmatic one. First, is assisted suicide something we want in our culture?

If yes, then what should be the restrictions?

It's an option I'd like for myself - one I wouldn't expect to exercise, but a freedom that I would like nevertheless.

David T

Premium Member

Indeed I agree it's a complex question, thus....
KeefeM20011124.jpg

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher

Almost had me in tears....

I always thought that God should be the one to take our lives but sometimes we are the instrument of our own destiny.

One of my relatives who had terminal cancer took this option last year.

It seems somewhat perverse to force someone to eke out the last drops of their life in constant agony at great expense, rather than allow them to go out on their own terms, surrounded by loved ones, before everyone is put through harrowing physical/emotional pain and the constant misery of a slow decline.

arcanum

I think as long as you are of sound mind, and it's not just a spontaneous decision, from say a fickle emotional teenager for instance, than it should be your right to check out should you decide you've had enough of this place.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner

I never feel qualified to judge someone that chooses suicide. I will say, it takes bravery to die on one's own terms. In such a way that you know death is going to result. I do think people have the right to die. Holding them here against their will fundamentally violates their governance over themselves and makes life a captive situation.