• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Asking Human Forgiveness

idav

Being
Premium Member
Are there religions that ask forgiveness from the humans they wrong rather than asking forgiveness from God? Does asking for Gods grace really absolve wrong doing?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Are there religions that ask forgiveness from the humans they wrong rather than asking forgiveness from God? Does asking for Gods grace really absolve wrong doing?

Yes. I notice we ask The Buddha (who is a human) for forgiveness for our misdeeds (breaking the precepts, for example). A layman's service to The Buddha and Dhamma is always serving and forgiving others, showing compassion, patience, etc. Asking for forgiveness well, with monks, I notice they don't ask but accept what's given. Vow of poverty. I don't know if that refers to asking forgiveness.

When I was Catholic, going to confession wasn't just asking god's forgiveness but asking forgiveness to the priest (Church elders) and body of christ "may I be forgive and rejoin back into communion." So you ask god, the priest, and the people all at once.

I'm not familiar with other religions.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I think Christianity demands both when a wrong that is done because it is done against both God and man and therefore demands that both be addressed.

idav

Being
Premium Member
I think Christianity demands both when a wrong that is done because it is done against both God and man and therefore demands that both be addressed.
Is there any conflict between grace and works in that regard?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Is there any conflict between grace and works in that regard?
In the application of forgiveness, I think they work in harmony.

When one receives the grace of forgiveness from God, it should be translated into a good work of restoration towards the one that one has offended.

And it works best when both parties understand it and use it.

I remember years ago when my boss had inquired about a task and I gave a great story about why it hadn't been accomplished. (I lied :oops: )

As I was leaving it was as if a voice resonated in my head and it said "Ken, you lied". My response was repentance and I said, "Yes, Lord, please forgive me". (grace) Again, as if a voice resonated in my brain I heard, "I forgive you, now go back and fix it". (works).

I turned around and went back to his office and said, "Sir, I lied. I had completely forgot about the task. Would you please forgive me" (paraphrased)

There was a moment of silence as he stared at me and then he said, "I forgive you. (grace) Now go do it. (works)"

It fostered trust and it encouraged me to be faithful to the goals of the workplace.

idav

Being
Premium Member
In the application of forgiveness, I think they work in harmony.

When one receives the grace of forgiveness from God, it should be translated into a good work of restoration towards the one that one has offended.

And it works best when both parties understand it and use it.

I remember years ago when my boss had inquired about a task and I gave a great story about why it hadn't been accomplished. (I lied :oops: )

As I was leaving it was as if a voice resonated in my head and it said "Ken, you lied". My response was repentance and I said, "Yes, Lord, please forgive me". (grace) Again, as if a voice resonated in my brain I heard, "I forgive you, now go back and fix it". (works).

I turned around and went back to his office and said, "Sir, I lied. I had completely forgot about the task. Would you please forgive me" (paraphrased)

There was a moment of silence as he stared at me and then he said, "I forgive you. (grace) Now go do it. (works)"

It fostered trust and it encouraged me to be faithful to the goals of the workplace.
Thanks for sharing, I always find honesty being a good rule of thumb, it builds merit and trust. A lot of times I will just let my actions speak for themselves.

DavidFirth

I believe it does. Since everyone is guilty of sin, we don't have to ask forgiveness from anyone. Of course it is a great gesture and it probably should be done in most cases, however I do not think the Bible makes it a requirement.

Since God is Holy, we must obtain His forgiveness in order to be in heaven with Him is how I interpret scripture. Also, we must forgive all others of their wrong doing against us.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Yes. I notice we ask The Buddha (who is a human) for forgiveness for our misdeeds (breaking the precepts, for example). A layman's service to The Buddha and Dhamma is always serving and forgiving others, showing compassion, patience, etc. Asking for forgiveness well, with monks, I notice they don't ask but accept what's given. Vow of poverty. I don't know if that refers to asking forgiveness.

When I was Catholic, going to confession wasn't just asking god's forgiveness but asking forgiveness to the priest (Church elders) and body of christ "may I be forgive and rejoin back into communion." So you ask god, the priest, and the people all at once.

I'm not familiar with other religions.
I remember the Catholics, you go the priest for forgiveness and they told me to do so many Hail Mary prayers and Our Fathers and your sins go away.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I remember the Catholics, you go the priest for forgiveness and they told me to do so many Hail Mary prayers and Our Fathers and your sins go away.

Wow. All I received was say Hail Mary three times. The other two priest yelled at me but never gave me penance. So I stayed with the same two or three until they left. I thought penance was voluntary. I didn't know it was required just a act of good will to god.

idav

Being
Premium Member
I believe it does. Since everyone is guilty of sin, we don't have to ask forgiveness from anyone. Of course it is a great gesture and it probably should be done in most cases, however I do not think the Bible makes it a requirement.

Since God is Holy, we must obtain His forgiveness in order to be in heaven with Him is how I interpret scripture. Also, we must forgive all others of their wrong doing against us.
Forgiving others of their wrong doing against us is another important aspect thanks for bringing that up. I think "do unto others" could easily apply there. That is if everyone went by what the Lord's Prayer says. "Forgive is our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us".

idav

Being
Premium Member
Wow. All I received was say Hail Mary three times. The other two priest yelled at me but never gave me penance. So I stayed with the same two or three until they left. I thought penance was voluntary. I didn't know it was required just a act of good will to god.
I don't know that everyone is that strict about it but technically you shouldn't eat the wafer unless you have gone to penance to the priest. Why were priests yelling at you?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I don't know that everyone is that strict about it but technically you shouldn't eat the wafer unless you have gone to penance to the priest. Why were priests yelling at you?

The first priest further north of me looked like he was falling asleep during my confession. He was an older guy, so I asked him if he was alright and he barked "I'm listening to you! Can't you see I'm awake!" He got me distraught I went to another priest. It was unothorodox but he didn't absolve me so I guess it was fine.

The second one was out of state in NY. Their parishes made me go back in time in the renaissance where the confessions are half the size of a miniature closet. You stood since we couldn't sit and you couldn't see the priest at all just thin bars and a note up top advising what to say to the priest if we are new. After confessing, the priest said, "the devil made you do it!" For both of them I didn't receive penance.

That's weird, my whole entire time in The Church, I rarely receive penance. I usually pray after and do Hail Mary's without no one telling me to.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
My Bible based opinion is that seeking forgiveness from people is superior to seeking forgiveness from God, however people will not always give it. When Alexander Pope says "To err is human, to forgive divine" I think it is meant to express the seeming irony that people have this divine power. We have Jesus in the gospels saying the 'Son of man' can forgive sins, and we have in the fifth chapter of James a scene where we have someone being prayed for and being forgiven based on that, but that person seems need the others to obtain forgiveness or at least it is their duty to forgive in that case. We have in the gospels the phrase "Forgive and you will be forgiven." (Luke 6:37) Here's another interesting one: "Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little.” (Luke 7:47) This puts forward that love is proof that someone has been forgiven.

Akivah

I don't know about other religions, but Judaism has this. As part of the atonement process, one must 1) admit their error 2) recompense the person that you wronged and 3) ask for that person's forgiveness. Once this is all done, then your error (or sin) is atoned.

DavidFirth

Forgiving others of their wrong doing against us is another important aspect thanks for bringing that up. I think "do unto others" could easily apply there. That is if everyone went by what the Lord's Prayer says. "Forgive is our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us".

Which is a lot easier said than done.

idav

Being
Premium Member
I don't know about other religions, but Judaism has this. As part of the atonement process, one must 1) admit their error 2) recompense the person that you wronged and 3) ask for that person's forgiveness. Once this is all done, then your error (or sin) is atoned.
That seems pretty straightforward and smart.
Which is a lot easier said than done.
Some things would be near impossible to forgive, I hope life doesn't give me too many of those.

idav

Being
Premium Member
My Bible based opinion is that seeking forgiveness from people is superior to seeking forgiveness from God, however people will not always give it. When Alexander Pope says "To err is human, to forgive divine" I think it is meant to express the seeming irony that people have this divine power. We have Jesus in the gospels saying the 'Son of man' can forgive sins, and we have in the fifth chapter of James a scene where we have someone being prayed for and being forgiven based on that, but that person seems need the others to obtain forgiveness or at least it is their duty to forgive in that case. We have in the gospels the phrase "Forgive and you will be forgiven." (Luke 6:37) Here's another interesting one: "Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little.” (Luke 7:47) This puts forward that love is proof that someone has been forgiven.
That's pretty profound actually.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

The very idea of asking one of the gods for forgiveness in this fashion is pretty foreign to Paganisms. When I was reading this, I had to blink, read it a few more times just to understand what it was you were talking about here. Our gods don't provide whatever this "grace" thing is.

But maybe you intended this question to be asked only of those who honor the one-god... :sweat:

idav

Being
Premium Member
The very idea of asking one of the gods for forgiveness in this fashion is pretty foreign to Paganisms. When I was reading this, I had to blink, read it a few more times just to understand what it was you were talking about here. Our gods don't provide whatever this "grace" thing is.

But maybe you intended this question to be asked only of those who honor the one-god... :sweat:
Grace is having atonement, most religions probably have some sort of work involved to atone, if they even have anything like sin.