• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Asking for advice with a difficult situation

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Trigger warning: before you read any further, I want you to know that I talk about a time when my adopted mother beat me.

I'm seeking advice for a difficult situation that just happened to me. I've shared the story of my abusive childhood before in other threads. I feel like sharing my story could bring comfort to other survivors of abuse. In my story, I shared that I later learned in life that my extended family knew of the abuse I suffered at home at the hands of my adopted mother and adopted brother. They were also aware of the bullying I endured at school. I suffered the abuse for 13 1/2 years, and the bullying occurred throughout my 12 years in school. I was adopted when I was 4 1/2, and the abuse didn't stop until I confronted my abusive brother shortly after I turned 18. The physical conflict between my brother and I and my threat to call the police on him made a lasting impression on our mother.

The upsetting truth is that no one in my family ever tried to rescue me from the abuse I suffered or from the bullying I endured. In essence, they willingly turned a blind eye and left me alone in a living hell that has traumatized me and emotionally scarred me. My aunt (my adopted mother's younger sister) told me about a year and a half ago that she and the rest of our family knew of the abuse.

She told me that the reason why no one called the police or CPS on my mother was because they were afraid I would end up in a worse situation in foster care. She also told me that the reason why she didn't call the police on my mother was because my mother is her sister. As she was explaining all of this to me, I felt like the world was crumbling down around me. I felt very dizzy and sick to my stomach. I have a memory of my grandmother standing at the front door, watching my mother (her daughter) beat the crap out of me in her driveway. My mother had grabbed me by one arm and was violently hitting me with her other arm. My grandmother stood at the door and watched my mother hit me. She just shook her head, and then she moved away from the door and stopped watching.

I cut my adopted parents and my adopted brother completely out of my life over a year and a half ago, but I kept in communication with my extended family for a few months after that. I didn't immediately cut my extended family out of my life after my aunt told me that everyone in our family knew about the abuse but had decided not to intervene and stop it. I talked with my aunt over the phone and through Facebook Messenger, and each time I talked to her, the angrier I became towards her and the rest of my family. She was always trying to justify herself and our family's decision not to stop my mother from abusing me. She told me that she would leave our house crying because of the way my mother was treating me. She even tried to persuade me that God has always loved me and that God could heal me of the pain and trauma that haunts me to this day. I'll admit that that made me even more pi**ed off at her.

In my effort to cut my family out of my life, I removed my relatives from my friendship list on Facebook, and I deleted their phone numbers from my cellphone. I haven't spoken to any of my relatives on the phone or communicated with them on Facebook in several weeks. I hadn't heard from my aunt until today. She sent me a message on Facebook with her same old rhetoric. She tried to assure me that she loves me, misses me, and thinks about me all the time. As I read her message, I couldn't help but think that this is the woman who knew that her sister was abusing me and that she refused to report her sister's abuse of me to the police or CPS.

The purpose of my thread is to ask for advice on whether I should reply to her or not. If I decide to reply, then should I confront her for turning a blind eye and leaving me in an abusive home while I was growing up? For the record, I'm not looking for advice or other remarks that involve the Christian God. Been there, done that. I'm not interested in being preached at, lectured at, or proselytized.

Last edited:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I'm seeking advice for a difficult situation that just happened to me
I wish you all the strength needed in this

I cut of my whole family as well, in my final long letter I ended writing:
"Admit you were wrong and I was not, and say sorry and ask me to forgive you, only then there can be contact again. You are the ones breaking the contact, by not acknowledging you were at fault"

Your situation is different, so you must decide what is best for you, I don't know

I can only hope and wish you find your way to best deal with it. My way is not easy for me, but it feels right for me now, and gives me peace BUT I do not advice others to do it, because I don't know what is right to do. I just do the best I can

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Trigger warning: before you read any further, I want you to know that I talk about a time when my adopted mother beat me.

I'm seeking advice for a difficult situation that just happened to me. I've shared the story of my abusive childhood before in other threads. I feel like sharing my story could bring comfort to other survivors of abuse. In my story, I shared that I later learned in life that my extended family knew of the abuse I suffered at home at the hands of my adopted mother and adopted brother. They were also aware of the bullying I endured at school. I suffered the abuse for 13 1/2 years, and the bullying occurred throughout my 12 years in school. I was adopted when I was 4 1/2, and the abuse didn't stop until I confronted my abusive brother shortly after I turned 18. The physical conflict between my brother and I and my threat to call the police on him made a lasting impression on our mother.

The upsetting truth is that no one in my family ever tried to rescue me from the abuse I suffered or from the bullying I endured. In essence, they willingly turned a blind eye and left me alone in a living hell that has traumatized me and emotionally scarred me. My aunt (my adopted mother's younger sister) told me about a year and a half ago that she and the rest of our family knew of the abuse.

She told me that the reason why no one called the police or CPS on my mother was because they were afraid I would end up in a worse situation in foster care. She also told me that the reason why she didn't call the police on my mother was because my mother is her sister. As she was explaining all of this to me, I felt like the world was crumbling down around me. I felt very dizzy and sick to my stomach. I have a memory of my grandmother standing at the front door, watching my mother (her daughter) beat the crap out of me in her driveway. My mother had grabbed me by one arm and was violently hitting me with her other arm. My grandmother stood at the door and watched my mother hit me. She just shook her head, and then she moved away from the door and stopped watching.

I cut my adopted parents and my adopted brother completely out of my life over a year and a half ago, but I kept in communication with my extended family for a few months after that. I didn't immediately cut my extended family out of my life after my aunt told me that everyone in our family knew about the abuse but had decided not to intervene and stop it. I talked with my aunt over the phone and through Facebook Messenger, and each time I talked to her, the angrier I became towards her and the rest of my family. She was always trying to justify herself and our family's decision not to stop my mother from abusing me. She told me that she would leave our house crying because of the way my mother was treating me. She even tried to persuade me that God has always loved me and that God could heal me of the pain and trauma that haunts me to this day. I'll admit that that made me even more pi**ed off at her.

In my effort to cut my family out of my life, I removed my relatives from my friendship list on Facebook, and I deleted their phone numbers from my cellphone. I haven't spoken to any of my relatives on the phone or communicated with them on Facebook in several weeks. I hadn't heard from my aunt until today. She sent me a message on Facebook with her same old rhetoric. She tried to assure me that she loves me, misses me, and thinks about me all the time. As I read her message, I couldn't help but think that this is the woman who knew that her sister was abusing me and that she refused to report her sister's abuse of me to the police or CPS.

The purpose of my thread is to ask for advice on whether I should reply to her or not. If I decide to reply, then should I confront her for turning a blind eye and leaving me in an abusive home while I was growing up? For the record, I'm not looking for advice or other remarks that involve the Christian God. Been there, done that. I'm not interested in being preached at, lectured at, or proselytized.
Seriously there is the practical option of always moving foreword. No looking back.

Can't reverse time , neither should you.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Seriously there is the practical option of always moving foreword. No looking back.

Can't reverse time , neither should you.

That's easier said than done when I have PTSD, and I sometimes struggle with depression and anxiety attacks because of the trauma I suffered from years of abuse, bullying, and neglect. It's also easier said than done when I occasionally have horrific nightmares about being beaten and being scared for my life. So, I can confidently say that the "move on with your life" or "get over it" suggestions aren't helpful because some people aren't emotionally strong enough to just get over the years of abuse they suffered and move on.

Last edited:

Brian2

Veteran Member

Being honest with your aunt sounds like the best thing to do.
I hear also that forgiving people can help you get rid of hurts that these people have caused.
Your aunt sounds sorry for her lack of action on your behalf and probably does think of you and loves you.
We can feel bad about what people have done in our lives and judge them accordingly but it is really hard to know the whole truth and judge people correctly.
Replying to your aunt does not mean that you want to spend time with her.
In honesty you could tell her how you feel about that.
Being honest but nice at the same time can sometimes be hard but honesty does not mean pay back time.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

Coming from a similar background, what I can tell you is this. Despite all the BS you went through, your aunt probably does love you. It sounds like she thought it would be better if she could keep an eye on you, instead of losing you to CPS. It's not right, surely, and their were avenues that she probably could have used to gain custody. But CPS has been demonized, so people are scared to reach out. And sometimes just as scared of the abusive person themselves.

I would reach out to her, but make sure you have clear boundaries on things like God. And maybe, you can find a therapist or counselor that could mediate things between you.

:hugehug:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I ceased communicating with family members
who did real harm. The others...I can overlook
shortcomings. This works well for me.
Perhaps not the best approach for all though.
You're the judge for your own situation.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
You don't have to reply right now.

It might be good to think for awhile, on what you want to say, or if you want to say anything at all.

What will be gained by a reply? What will be lost from a lack of one?

Don't rush anything, and don't feel obligated to do(or not do) anything. Just sit with your feelings for awhile... after years of having your feelings disregarded, its time to give them some room.
:glomp:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I can sympathize. I also come from an abusive background, and one thing I learned is that it can be even more problematic in the aftermath, years or even decades later, with former abusers/enablers gaslighting or trying to offer some sort of excuse or explanation - at least in my experience. Or sometimes they might not even remember (because they were drunk. although my mother became even more nasty after she joined AA).

I don't think there's any right or wrong answer here. Parents or older relatives might want to have some sense of closure or peace, thinking "Why can't we just let bygones be bygones?" But it's not that easy, since abuse robs a person of a large chunk of their life which they'll never get back. Hurts like hell, and it's very difficult to forgive, impossible to forget.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

I can be a very forgiving person. But this sounds way too excessive. Did your mother ever apologize for her actions and admit that there was no excuse for it? Did your extended family ever apologize for their lack of action?

If the answers to both questions were "No" then have no doubt that you did the right thing.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Coming from a similar background, what I can tell you is this. Despite all the BS you went through, your aunt probably does love you. It sounds like she thought it would be better if she could keep an eye on you, instead of losing you to CPS. It's not right, surely, and their were avenues that she probably could have used to gain custody. But CPS has been demonized, so people are scared to reach out. And sometimes just as scared of the abusive person themselves.

I would reach out to her, but make sure you have clear boundaries on things like God. And maybe, you can find a therapist or counselor that could mediate things between you.

I have a hard time believing that my aunt loves me when she told me to my face that the reason why she didn't report my mom was because my mom is her sister and she didn't want to betray her sister. She left me in an abusive home. What kind of love is that?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I have a hard time believing that my aunt loves me when she told me to my face that the reason why she didn't report my mom was because my mom is her sister and she didn't want to betray her sister. She left me in an abusive home.

What kind of love is that?

Misguided love. Unfortunately. And a love for her sister.

Sometimes we can't break the threads that bind us together (family) when we need to.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I can be a very forgiving person. But this sounds way too excessive. Did your mother ever apologize for her actions and admit that there was no excuse for it? Did your extended family ever apologize for their lack of action?

If the answers to both questions were "No" then have no doubt that you did the right thing.

The answer to both questions is no. My mother wouldn't admit that she abused me even if her life depended on it. My dad wouldn't either. My mom used to tell me when I was a child that I was a bad seed and that not even my real mother wanted me. My biological mother abandoned me when I was 3 1/2 years old. She left me at a friend's house and never came back. Her mother was the person who called CPS and then put me into foster care after that. My adopted mother would tell me I should be grateful that she puts up with me because no one else wants me. I was absolutely terrified of being abandoned while I was growing up. I still have to fight that fear to this day. My extended family has only made excuses for why they never helped me and none of them have ever apologized.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
You don't have to reply right now.

It might be good to think for awhile, on what you want to say, or if you want to say anything at all.

What will be gained by a reply? What will be lost from a lack of one?

Don't rush anything, and don't feel obligated to do(or not do) anything. Just sit with your feelings for awhile... after years of having your feelings disregarded, its time to give them some room.
:glomp:

I just spent about 45 minutes on the phone with my husband talking to him about my aunt messaging me and how I feel about it. He basically told me the same thing. I'm shaking after talking about my childhood with him. I really hope I don't have another nightmare tonight because he's not here to help me and comfort me. He's out of town this week. Maybe I'll stay up all night and try not to sleep.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I wish you all the strength needed in this

I cut of my whole family as well, in my final long letter I ended writing:
"Admit you were wrong and I was not, and say sorry and ask me to forgive you, only then there can be contact again. You are the ones breaking the contact, by not acknowledging you were at fault"

Your situation is different, so you must decide what is best for you, I don't know

I can only hope and wish you find your way to best deal with it. My way is not easy for me, but it feels right for me now, and gives me peace BUT I do not advice others to do it, because I don't know what is right to do. I just do the best I can

Thank you for your kind response. I appreciate it.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Being honest with your aunt sounds like the best thing to do.
I hear also that forgiving people can help you get rid of hurts that these people have caused.
Your aunt sounds sorry for her lack of action on your behalf and probably does think of you and loves you.
We can feel bad about what people have done in our lives and judge them accordingly but it is really hard to know the whole truth and judge people correctly.
Replying to your aunt does not mean that you want to spend time with her.
In honesty you could tell her how you feel about that.
Being honest but nice at the same time can sometimes be hard but honesty does not mean pay back time.

Thank you for your kind advice. I appreciate it.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I just spent about 45 minutes on the phone with my husband talking to him about my aunt messaging me and how I feel about it. He basically told me the same thing. I'm shaking after talking about my childhood with him. I really hope I don't have another nightmare tonight because he's not here to help me and comfort me. He's out of town this week. Maybe I'll stay up all night and try not to sleep.

I've always found music as great therapy. I put on my headphones and start rocking to my favorite tunes. Even as a kid, it was my main escape and a form of solace.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I ceased communicating with family members
who did real harm. The others...I can overlook
shortcomings. This works well for me.
Perhaps not the best approach for all though.
You're the judge for your own situation.

I can't overlook the fact that my extended family knew I was being abused and they still decided to leave me in an abusive home. I also can't overlook the fact that my aunt didn't report my mom to the police or to CPS because she didn't want to betray her sister.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I can sympathize. I also come from an abusive background, and one thing I learned is that it can be even more problematic in the aftermath, years or even decades later, with former abusers/enablers gaslighting or trying to offer some sort of excuse or explanation - at least in my experience. Or sometimes they might not even remember (because they were drunk. although my mother became even more nasty after she joined AA).

I don't think there's any right or wrong answer here. Parents or older relatives might want to have some sense of closure or peace, thinking "Why can't we just let bygones be bygones?" But it's not that easy, since abuse robs a person of a large chunk of their life which they'll never get back. Hurts like hell, and it's very difficult to forgive, impossible to forget.

Thank you for your kind response, Stevicus. I appreciate your willingness to share your story with me.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Misguided love. Unfortunately. And a love for her sister.

Sometimes we can't break the threads that bind us together (family) when we need to.

Her love for her sister was obviously more important to her than saving me from her sister abusing me for 13 1/2 years.