• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Asking for advice on jobs

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
So as many of y'all know I'll be starting a job on the 7th of next week. I posted about it yesterday. It'd be my first job. I'll be working at a daycare. Does anyone have any advice on working for the first time? I don't think I'll do terrible. I am in school for early childhood education, I got a job coach from voc rehab to help me out and I even asked RF staff to ban me from RF on the 6th which @Rival agreed to do so I won't get distracted by my phone. I'll return to RF eventually dont worry Rival will unban me after a week or two I'll ask her to on discord when im ready to return. I just know computers were a huge distraction for me when i was in school so I'm having staff ban me briefly from RF so I can get used to not checking my phone every 5 minutes so i wont make the same mistakes as I did in school. I just want to know if anyone got advice that's all for starting a new job or for working for the first time since i never had a job before. Maybe y'all say something that my job coach wouldnt think to tell me.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
So as many of y'all know I'll be starting a job on the 7th of next week. I posted about it yesterday. It'd be my first job. I'll be working at a daycare. Does anyone have any advice on working for the first time? I don't think I'll do terrible. I am in school for early childhood education, I got a job coach from voc rehab to help me out and I even asked RF staff to ban me from RF on the 6th which @Rival agreed to do so I won't get distracted by my phone. I'll return to RF eventually dont worry Rival will unban me after a week or two I'll ask her to on discord when im ready to return. I just know computers were a huge distraction for me when i was in school so I'm having staff ban me briefly from RF so I can get used to not checking my phone every 5 minutes so i wont make the same mistakes as I did in school. I just want to know if anyone got advice that's all for starting a new job or for working for the first time since i never had a job before. Maybe y'all say something that my job coach wouldnt think to tell me.

I'm going back into work after a 6 year break, and like you into an educational setting. Just try to be the best you. You can't learn everything at once, take your time, ask questions about whatever you wish. Good luck. Enjoy it!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's just basic stuff

You'll be learning, don't fake knowledge but accept the knowledge of more experienced workers.

Get to know who is who. Remember names, write them down if you need to

Show up on time, perhaps a few minutes early.

If in doubt, ask.

firedragon

Veteran Member
So as many of y'all know I'll be starting a job on the 7th of next week. I posted about it yesterday. It'd be my first job. I'll be working at a daycare. Does anyone have any advice on working for the first time?

I can share some experiences with you. I started working as a temporary assistant in a computerised environment as a kind of an analyst. Temporary job. I was confident somehow. I really don't understand how. Maybe there was not much work or it was easy or something. But that was only for 4 months. Afterwards, I joined a production oriented factory based operation. I was in the marketing department but I was suddenly dumped into a role previously done by an experienced guy. So many things to do and organise. You know what? I used to get a fever. Everyday when I got to work, I get a fever and after I reach home in the night, it goes away slowly. It was strange. So I went to the doctor and told her that I am getting a fever everyday. She told me it's the new job. :) So I devised a strategy. I decided I am not gonna bow down to anyone. Though I was so young, I will not let people dominate me. somehow, it took two days to recover and afterwards I found that "method is the mother of memory". And once you know your industry well enough, you can thrive.

I just know computers were a huge distraction for me when i was in school so I'm having staff ban me briefly from RF so I can get used to not checking my phone every 5 minutes so i wont make the same mistakes as I did in school. I just want to know if anyone got advice that's all for starting a new job or for working for the first time since i never had a job before. Maybe y'all say something that my job coach wouldnt think to tell me.

Computers can be a huge problem. I mean a distraction and a time consuming addiction. But it also can be one of the biggest blessings if you apply it to learn everyday.

You are gonna be awesome ROL. And one day you will write a book. ;)

I wish you all the very best in the entire universe. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOO

PureX

Veteran Member
Your job will be very different from mine, I suppose. But for me, I make a point to go into work with a positive, relaxed attitude every day. I never get flustered even if someone else is. I understand that people are people, and are not always perfect or logical. And that's OK. So I try to stay relaxed and logical, myself. I want the people I work with to trust that when they interact with me, it will always be a pleasant and productive experience.

I'm on the 'support' side of the business so I keep that in mind. My job is to help the people delivering the essential 'product/service' job easier and more effective. And when I leave work each day I want to feel as if I increased the overall value of the enterprise I work for by my being there. I want to give it a little more in terms of value than I get back in terms of compensation. Otherwise, why should they keep me on? A business is a joint effort and we all need to do our part to keep it up and functioning. Plus a little more, so it can thrive. (And so can we.)

The other thing I've learned about work is to avoid working for any businesses where the people in charge are living off the labor of the people providing the essential product or service. Because that's a recipe for abuse and frustration. Where I work, now, the people in charge ARE the people providing the essential product/service, and the rest of us are all their 'helpers' in one capacity or another. And I find that to be a much more sensible and equitable arrangement. They aren't constantly pushing us to work harder so THEY can make more money. Which is what I too often have experienced in other situations. You don't want to be the oxen pulling the cart, so to speak, if you can avoid it.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
No management potential then :tearsofjoy:

I once went on a management/marketing course where one of the speakers told us , 'you don't have to know or be good at a shop floor task just so long as the workers don't know you don't know. Your job is to manage, not to work.'

I would have left at that moment but the keynote speaker was Corey Rudel

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Employers like workers....the kind of employee who
takes the job seriously.
- Be social, but not to the point of ****ing off.
- Anticipate the employer's needs.
- Be conscientious.
- Be prompt.
- Be presentable.
- Seek to improve.
- And never ever steal, threaten co-workers, or miss work cuz
you're in jail. (Those are big problems I've head with workers.)

Daemon Sophic

What @Revoltingest wrote in post #8 is good.
I think your getting off of computers/mobile devices is a GREAT idea. My own son (age 15 at the time) was let go from his first summer job working at an office last year, because he could not stop looking at his phone, texting friends, and playing YouTube videos all day, when he should have been waiting for work calls and helping customers. :rolleyes::mad::oops: In fact, one day, he had used up his battery power in his cellphone before the end of the day, and therefore couldn’t take any more of the calls from office workers that he was supposed to answer. :facepalm:

Good luck!

Truth in love

SELF CARE!!!!!

Kids can be annoying. Stress puts us into fight/flight mode. In that mode we don't think clearly and tend to over react. Have a plan to calm down and be able to engage soon.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
It's just basic stuff

You'll be learning, don't fake knowledge but accept the knowledge of more experienced workers.

Get to know who is who. Remember names, write them down if you need to

Show up on time, perhaps a few minutes early.

If in doubt, ask.

I'd add helpfulness and gratitude. Of course there can be rare exceptions, but I've found that when I help other co-workers it gets repaid. And thanking people is appreciated as well.

Every job has a different culture. Some have unwritten dress codes, some have other common but undocumented expectations. Many might not be obvious at first but knowing such will exist will keep you mindful.

Also, RELAX as much as possible It's normal to be a bit on edge when starting a job especially a first one. But the more positive you can be while being honest with yourself about your feelings, the better.