• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Im dyslexic and lack confidence in writing, but i am improving.

What is it like being dyslexic for you?

I transpose numbers a lot. Kind of weird I didn't think about it until I got older. However at some point I started saying the numbers out loud, kind of unconsciously. People would kid me about talking to myself. I've realized I started doing this because hearing the number out loud helped me to write it correctly.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

I transpose numbers a lot. Kind of weird I didn't think about it until I got older. However at some point I started saying the numbers out loud, kind of unconsciously. People would kid me about talking to myself. I've realized I started doing this because hearing the number out loud helped me to write it correctly.

I understand transposing numbers and/or letters is fairly common, i know 2 people with the same problem. If reciting the number works for you then dont worry what people say.

With me the letters blur so a word runs together and looks like a grey smudge. Green is my key to un-blurring. If the paper or screen is green the blurring reduces enough to make out the letters. I wear green eye glasses and have green filters i can use.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Im dyslexic and lack confidence in writing, but i am improving.
My best friend of many decades is also dyslexic.
Back in the 50's in school one was considered as stupid instead of dyslexic.
In the 60's there was a talk show by a David Suskind.
A guest doctor starting describing a person with dyslexia, and I could easily see my best friend being described.
For years, my friend did Not want to hear what I have learned from that show, then finally it sunk in that knowing the condition was Not being named as stupid but actually had its own 'name' made a big difference.
Funny how that so-called 'stupid ' friend graduated from high school with a scholarship.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

After my dyslexic best friend went to college in NYC (back in the 60's too expensive to talk long distance on phone) so we had a cassette we would snail-mail back and forth to each other. That way we could re-tape on it and keep up to date.
Can you paint? My friend does some nifty animal paintings.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
With me the letters blur so a word runs together and looks like a grey smudge. Green is my key to un-blurring. If the paper or screen is green the blurring reduces enough to make out the letters. I wear green eye glasses and have green filters i can use.

Curious how you came to discover or learn about the help from the color green for you.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Difficult, i think ive done all i want and more. Thinking...
Ok, watch the sunrise from the top of Everest. Not ever going to happen though

Now, if one believes that Earth will become a beautiful paradisical garden as Eden was a sample start, then there is the hope of watching the sunrise from the top of Mt. Everest, it could very well happen.
The happy climax of the book of Revelation is the coming of a paradisical earth as mentioned at Revelation 22:2.
Such a paradisical earth is why we are invited to pray the invitation of Rev. 22:20 for Jesus to come !

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Difficult, i think ive done all i want and more. Thinking...

Ok, watch the sunrise from the top of Everest. Not ever going to happen though
Once, to see if you can do it...
Twice, to see if you like it...
Three or four thousand times more to make absolutely sure...:D

ChristineM

Premium Member
My best friend of many decades is also dyslexic.
Back in the 50's in school one was considered as stupid instead of dyslexic.
In the 60's there was a talk show by a David Suskind.
A guest doctor starting describing a person with dyslexia, and I could easily see my best friend being described.
For years, my friend did Not want to hear what I have learned from that show, then finally it sunk in that knowing the condition was Not being named as stupid but actually had its own 'name' made a big difference.
Funny how that so-called 'stupid ' friend graduated from high school with a scholarship.

I think your friend was typical for the time, schools in the 70s and 80s (and churches) were the same. My early years were horrible because of so called adults mocking me. i was written off as unteachable. Diagnosed at 14, by the time i was 23 i had my first degree. That showed em!

ChristineM

Premium Member
After my dyslexic best friend went to college in NYC (back in the 60's too expensive to talk long distance on phone) so we had a cassette we would snail-mail back and forth to each other. That way we could re-tape on it and keep up to date.
Can you paint? My friend does some nifty animal paintings.

No, i dont paint, my art is CG.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I think your friend was typical for the time, schools in the 70s and 80s (and churches) were the same. My early years were horrible because of so called adults mocking me. i was written off as unteachable. Diagnosed at 14, by the time i was 23 i had my first degree. That showed em!

Congrats! on your degree. If you don't mind your degree in __________

Wow, since David Suskind's talk show in the late 60's (My best remembering guess would be 1968) one would think by the 70's/80's things would have gotten better. I guess with my friend to hear the word dyslexic was more like a disease or something rather than at first be happy to here the condition was something actual and help available.

By your saying ' unteachable ' that is pretty much what my friend's father was told by the teacher in the late 50's.
Don't spend the money to send his child to the city for help.
Thankfully he did Not listen, because whatever class was given did help.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Congrats! on your degree. If you don't mind your degree in __________

Wow, since David Suskind's talk show in the late 60's (My best remembering guess would be 1968) one would think by the 70's/80's things would have gotten better. I guess with my friend to hear the word dyslexic was more like a disease or something rather than at first be happy to here the condition was something actual and help available.

By your saying ' unteachable ' that is pretty much what my friend's father was told by the teacher in the late 50's.
Don't spend the money to send his child to the city for help.
Thankfully he did Not listen, because whatever class was given did help.

BA Art and Animation.
BSc Computer animation
BA 3d Animation

MSc Art and Animation
MSc Animation in Industrial Graphics

Having doctors make discoveries and announcing them publicly to being generally accepted by joe public can take many years.

Some of the greatest minds have been/are dyslexic Galileo, DaVinci, Einstein, i am pretty sure that like your friend and me they had a hard time as children

ChristineM

Premium Member
You're pretty aware.
Most don't know that it's metallic under high pressure.
But it's not all that easy to carry (no handle).

Real easy, just put it in a bucket ;-)

That was a stroke of luck, i didnt see the word metallic.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Real easy, just put it in a bucket ;-)

That was a stroke of luck, i didnt see the word metallic.
I've used hydrogen to run antique engines.
It would fly right out of a bucket. So it must be compressed,
& stored in heavy steel tanks. And getting it out requires
a fancy pressure regulator.