• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask the Staff Anything About RF

ExVasterist

Ex-Member of RF (I'm a Ghost)
1. I read when first visiting the Forum site RF that you could Chat with people in chat rooms, then after signing up, I searched for Chat Rooms and found a thread about this explaining that they were removed.
If that is true, why is the Forum site still displaying that message as if its still working?

2. Already asked this in my introduction, but figured I'd ask here just in case. Is cursing allowed? I understand starting Flame Wars is a big no no, but I just mean cursing in general like "BLEEP I had a BLEEPY day". Just wanting to know if I have to censor myself or not.
Just in case, other forums allow cursing while others don't, dunno which side of the fence RF stands on in terms of cursing.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
1. I read when first visiting the Forum site RF that you could Chat with people in chat rooms, then after signing up, I searched for Chat Rooms and found a thread about this explaining that they were removed.
If that is true, why is the Forum site still displaying that message as if its still working?
I'm not sure on this one. Might be something the site owner needs to do, there might the something in the works to replace the prior chat function or it's just something on the to do list. I'll try and get back to you on that. :)
2. Already asked this in my introduction, but figured I'd ask here just in case. Is cursing allowed? I understand starting Flame Wars is a big no no, but I just mean cursing in general like "BLEEP I had a BLEEPY day". Just wanting to know if I have to censor myself or not.
Just in case, other forums allow cursing while others don't, dunno which side of the fence RF stands on in terms of cursing.
Cursing is generally fine, there is an on-board profanity filter that will catch things "**** I had a ****ty day" (this is due to arrangements with our server provider and their ad services to keep things PG). Less interested in the words and more in if they're being used to attack other members or groups. :) Hope that helps.

ExVasterist

Another bit to do with Chat - is there an external Chat room or Chat room site that everyone goes to specifically or does everyone go to whatever is available?

Why not make a Profanity filter that works for those under the age of 18 - They see the stars, whereas anyone over 18 doesn't see the stars?

Also, I heard mention of the "Eros Room" but I can't find it. I'm 33 (1984) btw.

ExVasterist

(Dunno if Double post is allowed but can't predict when people are gonna respond or not)

1. Why is Wicca in a different category than Magic & Divination? Wicca is basically modernized Witch craft after all.Just seems a little silly to keep them in different categories rather than the same category.

2. Should be a Suggestions Sub-forum where people can post suggestions or requests for RF, also allows for entire community to give their opinions on whether the suggestion/request should be put on RF.

2a. So I got a response about the Eros Room, apparently I gotta make a thread to join it? That honestly feels like a waste cause if a person doesn't know about it and doesn't know where they should make a thread about it, they could post it where ever til someone responds and even if RF Staff can delete the threads, having to hunt for those threads just sounds like a pain in butt from hell.
Why not just make it automatically available to anyone over the age of 18 OR add it as an option to turn on/off in profile settings? Would honestly make things a helluva lot easier for RF Staff and would save the forum from being overloaded with "Can I join Eros Room?" threads.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Another bit to do with Chat - is there an external Chat room or Chat room site that everyone goes to specifically or does everyone go to whatever is available?

We do have a chat room that corresponds with RF. People are typically invited to join once they are established here. If you are interested, here is a link with a list of people to approach.

Bad Chat is back

I won't speak for all members there, but I prefer to see how one conducts oneself here at RF before I would extend an invitation to join the chat.

Why not make a Profanity filter that works for those under the age of 18 - They see the stars, whereas anyone over 18 doesn't see the stars?

As @ADigitalArtist mentioned above, the site is PG 13 in accordance with our agreement with our server provider.

Also, I heard mention of the "Eros Room" but I can't find it. I'm 33 (1984) btw.

Please feel free to create a thread in Site Feedback requesting to join.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
(Dunno if Double post is allowed but can't predict when people are gonna respond or not)

1. Why is Wicca in a different category than Magic & Divination? Wicca is basically modernized Witch craft after all.Just seems a little silly to keep them in different categories rather than the same category.

Wicca is not "basically modernized Witch craft." Wicca is a dogmatic religion with established structured practices and beliefs. Therefore it has its own separate category.

2. Should be a Suggestions Sub-forum where people can post suggestions or requests for RF, also allows for entire community to give their opinions on whether the suggestion/request should be put on RF.

There is. Site Feedback

2a. So I got a response about the Eros Room, apparently I gotta make a thread to join it? That honestly feels like a waste cause if a person doesn't know about it and doesn't know where they should make a thread about it, they could post it where ever til someone responds and even if RF Staff can delete the threads, having to hunt for those threads just sounds like a pain in butt from hell.
Why not just make it automatically available to anyone over the age of 18 OR add it as an option to turn on/off in profile settings? Would honestly make things a helluva lot easier for RF Staff and would save the forum from being overloaded with "Can I join Eros Room?" threads.

See my post above.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
To avoid accidental posting in DIR forums, one must first register as a member.
Why isn't this extended to non-religious forums?
(Is it cuz you get paid by the infraction points issued?)

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
To avoid accidental posting in DIR forums, one must first register as a member.
Why isn't this extended to non-religious forums?
(Is it cuz you get paid by the infraction points issued?)
The DIR selection panel in user preferences is something put together by @Brent W. You'd have to ask him why the non-religious 'only' rooms didn't make it in there.

ExVasterist

New DIRs to be added: Kheperu & Necromancy

Also, what is the Dos & Don'ts of "Media Profile", is there rules associated with that part of it? And can the pictures be anything (like cool art, your drawings, food pics, pictures of you, etc) (within reason of course)?

Also, were you guys aware that there's a similar forum to this one? Its called Occult Forums, basically the same thing, just different rules and the staff of that forum isn't as engaging as RF staff. But pretty much about the same, just different forum names.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
New DIRs to be added: Kheperu & Necromancy

We're unlikely to create subforums for practices this specific. There wouldn't be a population to sustain them. Both are more or less covered by this forum - Other Religious Movements and Practices DIR - and/or its subforums.

Also, what is the Dos & Don'ts of "Media Profile", is there rules associated with that part of it? And can the pictures be anything (like cool art, your drawings, food pics, pictures of you, etc) (within reason of course)?

We don't have specific policies governing it outside of the general forum rules. Not many members use it to any great extent. There was one case where we had someone abusing the gallery and we had to intervene. I'm talking something on the order of a several hundred images of food they were cooking, which treated hard into Rule 4 territory. We pointed out to them that RF is not the proper outlet for that sort of thing... and then they rage quitted. :sweat:

ExVasterist

We're unlikely to create subforums for practices this specific. There wouldn't be a population to sustain them. Both are more or less covered by this forum - Other Religious Movements and Practices DIR - and/or its subforums.

Oh ok.

We don't have specific policies governing it outside of the general forum rules. Not many members use it to any great extent. There was one case where we had someone abusing the gallery and we had to intervene. I'm talking something on the order of a several hundred images of food they were cooking, which treated hard into Rule 4 territory. We pointed out to them that RF is not the proper outlet for that sort of thing... and then they rage quitted. :sweat:

Basically they were trying to advertise their stuff to sell? Never will understand why people don't just go to Facebook, Myspace, or Youtube for that sorta stuff. Its the most common rule for all forums lol.

But I mean like if I uploaded something like this for just sharing art:
https://artfiles.alphacoders.com/521/52140.jpg (didn't use image code cause dunno if acceptable or not)

And if there was a rule associated with RF that involves sharing pictures that I didn't make but someone else did.
And I do have drawn artwork that have nudity in them, but am guessing regardless if they are human or not, no nude period whether real or drawn.

Just thinking rules should be applied or at least posted to the media profile aspect of RF cause I'm sure I'm not the only one who's asked these sorta questions.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Basically they were trying to advertise their stuff to sell? Never will understand why people don't just go to Facebook, Myspace, or Youtube for that sorta stuff. Its the most common rule for all forums lol.

Nah, it wasn't advertising. Rule 4 covers spammy behavior as well. When I say this user had hundreds of images, well... it was closer to a couple thousand. RF is not an image hosting site, the content wasn't relevant to the forum mission, and we felt we needed to draw a line.

I don't have a problem with an art-share thread, though there are likely better venues for that (is DeviantArt still a thing?). For better or worse, it'd need to be sans-nudity also.

Just thinking rules should be applied or at least posted to the media profile aspect of RF cause I'm sure I'm not the only one who's asked these sorta questions.

To my knowledge, you're the first. :D

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I wonder of some think that a DIR is about recognizing a group's existence?
As I understand it, the DIR is to eschew debate when preventing it has become necessary.
It's not a slight if one doesn't have a DIR.
Is this correct, Quinty?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I wonder of some think that a DIR is about recognizing a group's existence?
As I understand it, the DIR is to eschew debate when preventing it has become necessary.
It's not a slight if one doesn't have a DIR.
Is this correct, Quinty?

The intent of DIRs is pretty much this - Why There are DIRs, Explained...

It's to provide a space for like-minded members of a group to discuss things that are important to them... without being derailed and interrupted by outsiders.

What groups get a DIR is one part user demand, one part need, one part practicality, and perhaps a few other things. I did some restructuring of that area... what... a year or so ago? I'm cool with additional suggestions and feedback for changes.

ExVasterist

Nah, it wasn't advertising. Rule 4 covers spammy behavior as well. When I say this user had hundreds of images, well... it was closer to a couple thousand. RF is not an image hosting site, the content wasn't relevant to the forum mission, and we felt we needed to draw a line.

(dunno why, but my text just turned this color) So would my albums for my story world be "out of bounds"?
My story world does have pantheons in it, but is still fantasy & made up.
Not trying to advertise or anything like that, just feel like sharing it with other writers & possible D&D-like players.

But, where can I find this mission? I've read the rules of the forum, but didn't see anything do with a specific mission.

I don't have a problem with an art-share thread, though there are likely better venues for that (is DeviantArt still a thing?). For better or worse, it'd need to be sans-nudity also.

So basically, Cleavage but no nipples?

Personally never used DeviantArt cause compared to most, my artwork (if you can call it that) is amateurish at best. And yeah it is still a thing.

To my knowledge, you're the first. :D

That's definitely surprising. Guess as you said, not many people actually use it.

ExVasterist

It's to provide a space for like-minded members of a group to discuss things that are important to them... without being derailed and interrupted by outsiders.

I kinda doubt though that people are just gonna come to talk about things they agree with, most as far as I've seen do go to DIRs (not just this forum, but pretty much all of them) that they are not like-minded with and are the outsiders. Seen it happen on a similar forum to RF called Occult Forums, like Christians going to Satanist subforum when they themselves are not in any way Satanist.

New ideas, new arguments, and differing points of views is what I think drives most to go to areas they do not personally belong or have a stake in.

ExVasterist

Is there a reason to becoming a Premium Member?
Also, as a Staff Member of any position, does the Premium Membership matter?
I'm assuming that once you become a Staff member that you gain many of the benefits that non-Staff Premium Users have.

Cary Cook

Hello and welcome to RF, new members!

This thread is for you to ask the mods anything about RF. This can include questions about the rules, the forum history, or the different forums in general.

A note for all members: Please keep in mind that only staff members may answer questions in this thread. Any answers by non-staff members will be deleted.

Thank you,

Debater Slayer, on behalf of the RF staff.
What does DIR stand for?