• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask the Jews

Flankerl

I agree yet its been "everywhere" where we went for the last 500 years. I think that pretty much qualifies.

Crandle

Oooo, ask the jews.

From a Christian point of view, I have understood that Jesus is the Messiah prophesied the Scriptures, all I would like to know is. Why is Jesus not the Messiah?

I do not want to offend, I would simply like to understand what I believe and what you believe better, thanks for you replies.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
I hope this hasn't been asked yet (but if it hasn't, I'd be a bit shocked), but as far as the general Jewish community is concerned, did Satan (or, the satan) fall from Heaven? Is he (are they) an adversary of God, or just men?

Levite

Higher and Higher
I hope this hasn't been asked yet (but if it hasn't, I'd be a bit shocked), but as far as the general Jewish community is concerned, did Satan (or, the satan) fall from Heaven? Is he (are they) an adversary of God, or just men?

No. We don't believe in fallen angels. We don't believe in a devil, or in Hell.

The Hebrew word satan is not a name, it is a title, meaning roughly "prosecutor." It is an office taken on by many different angels at different times, and is chiefly denotive of being the "patron angel" of the chaotic impulse in human beings, and being the primary agent of God when he wishes to test the faith of particularly righteous individuals; and some say that the satan also acts as opposing counsel when one defends one's life before the Seat of Judgment in the afterlife.

Levite

Higher and Higher
Oooo, ask the jews.

From a Christian point of view, I have understood that Jesus is the Messiah prophesied the Scriptures, all I would like to know is. Why is Jesus not the Messiah?

I do not want to offend, I would simply like to understand what I believe and what you believe better, thanks for you replies.

Here are a few posts where I discussed Jesus and his status in Jewish thought.

elmarna

QUOTE-"Only 1 contradiction is necessary to show it to be false"
to have to points of veiw is a conflict that will only lead to frustation if the 2 points can not agree. How is it explained how you are to realize who's judgements are false?
to stand in poor judgements & insist upon them will only lead to a lot of crying out & frustrations.
It is best to consider & listen.
Pay attention to the understandings that must be found .
how can you improve upon if you insist on a formula that may not be placeing you wise?
to insist you must use a certian tree & continue to chop it down because it is in a code of rules you live by may have you supporting your judgement with a smile at 1st!
If the tree falls victum to extintion what then of your judgement????
I do not find these words inlightening.
I do not want to cry out or be frustrated.
I want to understand & inspire a enlightenment that lets the good judgements speak!
I will listen.
i will understand.
i will capture a service that will carry me to the higher good of all mankind in a positive manner.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
to have to points of veiw is a conflict that will only lead to frustation if the 2 points can not agree. How is it explained how you are to realize who's judgements are false?
to stand in poor judgements & insist upon them will only lead to a lot of crying out & frustrations.
how can you improve upon if you insist on a formula that may not be placeing you wise?
to insist you must use a certian tree & continue to chop it down because it is in a code of rules you live by may have you supporting your judgement with a smile at 1st!
I want to understand & inspire a enlightenment that lets the good judgements speak!
I will listen.
i will understand.
i will capture a service that will carry me to the higher good of all mankind in a positive manner.
( Perhaps this could be moved to a more appropriate forum. )

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
No. We don't believe in fallen angels. We don't believe in a devil, or in Hell.

The Hebrew word satan is not a name, it is a title, meaning roughly "prosecutor." It is an office taken on by many different angels at different times, and is chiefly denotive of being the "patron angel" of the chaotic impulse in human beings, and being the primary agent of God when he wishes to test the faith of particularly righteous individuals; and some say that the satan also acts as opposing counsel when one defends one's life before the Seat of Judgment in the afterlife.
As I thought. Thanks.

Rakhel

I will listen.
i will understand.
Huh? Do you have a question or what?

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
I will listen.
i will understand.
You asked me to read and respond, but I'm not sure what question you're asking. Further, I couldn't make sense of the post, therefore, I'm unsure how to respond.

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
Question with respect to Levite's explanation of Satan what is the actual definition of Satan? I've seen words like Satan'il not sure if that is correct spelling but Christians have the understanding that Satan is a real entity who is an enemy of humans and so if angels take the title of prosecutor, is the concept of Satan as we know today just purely a medieval belief? Or is there a real enemy entity of humans e.g. demonic entities etc

Levite

Higher and Higher
Question with respect to Levite's explanation of Satan what is the actual definition of Satan? I've seen words like Satan'il not sure if that is correct spelling but Christians have the understanding that Satan is a real entity who is an enemy of humans and so if angels take the title of prosecutor, is the concept of Satan as we know today just purely a medieval belief? Or is there a real enemy entity of humans e.g. demonic entities etc

The word satan (sin-tet-nun, or sometimes samech-tet-nun) as a noun is derived from the verb li'ston, meaning "to oppose" or "to stand as an adversary."

It seems to be largely during the later period of Biblical composition that an angel, given the title ha-satan ("the opposer," or "the adversary"), becomes a recognized phenomenon. Some time during the middle Tannaitic period (during the period of mishnaic composition, let's say, give or take, around 100 CE) it seems to begin to be common for the Rabbis to associate the satan with the "patron" angel of the yetzer ha-ra, which literally means "urge to do evil," but in actual usage and understanding, means something more akin to "chaotic impulse:" more or less, the Id.

I am not enough of a scholar of early Christianity to know when ha-satan (or satanas, as transliterated by the Septuagint) for them became conflated with the diabolos (which seems in its early phase to have been more or less akin to a demon king) and when both became conflated with the storied fallen angel, Lucifer. But it certainly seems to have happened relatively soon, since "Satan" as a name for "the devil" seems to crop up in the writings of the Church Fathers that I have read.

There do seem to have been occurrences on and off in the Middle Ages and Renaissance of Jews portraying the satan just a little more akin to the Christian devil, but this seems clearly to have been borrowed from Christianity, likely in an attempt to culturally assimilate a bit. Some of these portrayals made it into the ascetic homiletical literature known as mussar, and because there has been a re-embracing of the mussar literature in the Haredi (ultra-Orthodox) world over the majority of the last century, such portrayals do pop up in the Haredi communities to this day.

However, even so, there still is no real Jewish belief in such a concept as "the devil," and Jewish demonography (because yes, traditionally, Judaism has acknowledged the existence of demons, though few in the non-Orthodox world believe in such a thing today) has always portrayed demons as being sort of naturally "wild" entities, who are nonetheless required to obey God, and required to submit to His Names if bound with them. And while there have certainly been various folk beliefs over the centuries about demons being responsible for this misfortune, or that evil occurrence, or what have you, there has never really been a mainstream embrace of the idea of evil having a primarily supernatural origin, or of people's evil acts originating in any way from outside themselves. Rather, the constant term used has always been yetzer ha-ra, which firmly locates the source of evil or chaotic impulses in the human heart. And if the satan is the "patron" angel of the yetzer ha-ra, that is not any different from anything else, since, in classical Rabbinic Judaism, everything has its "patron" angel.