• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask PW about her faith

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
What does your faith say about homosexuality? Or interracial marriage?
I am part Native American... but sadly I don't know anything about my people. I am descended from Mayans and Aztecs.
There is nothing against either. Indeed GBLT people are often held in high regard in native religions.
Some nations feel they bridge the divide between the genders, helping us understand one another. Transgendered people in particular, often had powerful medicine and some religious rituals could only be done by transgendered individuals.
In many other nations they were simply accepted as they were.

One of the issues I have with the Western Cherokee Band is their recent decision to declare marriage "one man/one woman" ignoring tradition ... but most Cherokee are Christians today.

First nations have traditionally accepted anyone into their families.

wa:do

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
Mistakes happen... Thank you for the apology. :D

This is totally unrelated to the thread, sorry about that haha, but I noticed you lived in New Hampshire, and I do too :D I thought that was cool. I live in Littleton (if you know where that is)

It's been said in my family that I am a small percentage of Blackfoot, but it isn't very credible. I think the Native American religions are fascinating though :) My dad is really into Native American religion and customs. He would make traditional moccasins and he would make knives out of arrowheads he found in Ohio and deer antler and sinew.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
This is totally unrelated to the thread, sorry about that haha, but I noticed you lived in New Hampshire, and I do too :D I thought that was cool. I live in Littleton (if you know where that is)
Sure do! I spent several years living in Lisbon. :D

It's been said in my family that I am a small percentage of Blackfoot, but it isn't very credible. I think the Native American religions are fascinating though :) My dad is really into Native American religion and customs. He would make traditional moccasins and he would make knives out of arrowheads he found in Ohio and deer antler and sinew.
I love a good pair of Mocs, they are the most comfortable shoes I've ever found. Though I'm going to try "Five Finger Shoes" soon.

What kind of names do Indians have? I mean... I know the stereotype, but is that true? (God I feel like such a douche for asking such ignorant questions... I am truly sorry :(

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Josh, David, Willma.... Usually normal everyday names.

You can usually spot a "wannabe" by the names they give themselves. "Chief Rainbow Eagle", "Medicine Rain Flower" "Spirit whatever" blah blah...

My forum name here is my half-joking "plastic Indian name", it was given to me by a friend for my "online persona". In real life I just go by my hum-drum everyday name.

ps.. MV I'm with you all the way on the barefoot thing... I hate shoes! (except for one pair which are my "brainy science shoes")

Master Vigil

SHOES ARE EVIL! If I didn't have to wear them at work, I would never have shoes on. But now with the 5 finger shoes, I can be barefoot and have shoes on. :D YAY!!!

Sorry, no more hijacking from me. :D

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Well, my particular style of faith seems to have "evolved" with humanity from our last shared common ancestor with H.neanderthanensis. Though the first clear evidence for animist/shamanistic religious practice in particular comes from this burial from 12,000 years ago.
Skeleton Of 12,000-Year-Old Shaman Discovered Buried With Leopard, 50 Tortoises And Human Foot

In specific, Cherokee faith evolved from the Iraquoian and Mississippian cultures blending in the Appalacia region of the south eastern US.

That faith was of course, given to us in the beginning by the Creator and with very little change over time it still remains with us. :cool:

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
How does your faith feel about other religions? Are they false? True in their own way? Or what?
Creator made nothing in this world that is without variety. We all come from different places and have different needs. The details for someone who lives as a hunter-gatherer in the Arctic or hunter-farmer in the deep forest are going to have to be different for a herdsman who lives in the desert.

The "one true way" for one people may not be the "one true way" for another. However, when you look at the core values of each faith you will find the same things repeated over and over.

I hope this helps.

Danmac

Creator made nothing in this world that is without variety. We all come from different places and have different needs. The details for someone who lives as a hunter-gatherer in the Arctic or hunter-farmer in the deep forest are going to have to be different for a herdsman who lives in the desert.

The "one true way" for one people may not be the "one true way" for another. However, when you look at the core values of each faith you will find the same things repeated over and over.

I hope this helps.

But how can two opposing views both be correct?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
But how can two opposing views both be correct?
Because nothing in the universe is simply black and white.
How can you believe in "thou shalt not murder" as well as "eye for an eye" and going to war?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Hello, PW,

Thank you for doing this thread. I've been hunting around on the board for discussions that are more appropriate to my own animistic beliefs, and I haven't found much I identify with (beyond discussion of science and religion, for example). I find kinship in your explanation of your beliefs, though. I realize this is an older thread, but as I'm new I just came across it. Throughout, I wanted to respond to other people's questions, only to be pleased to read your much more articulate responses. Bravo, and thank you again for bravely undertaking this ordeal.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Thank you. :D

I look forward to discussing various similarities and differences between our practice (at least those that can be discussed in an open forum such as this one). :cool:
For example views on the use of animal parts in worship and how it squares with maintaining a philosophy of honor and respect for nature.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Thank you. :D

I look forward to discussing various similarities and differences between our practice (at least those that can be discussed in an open forum such as this one). :cool:
For example views on the use of animal parts in worship and how it squares with maintaining a philosophy of honor and respect for nature.

Hmmm. Aside from a hide made into a carrying pouch, and sinew to bind things (such as the pouch) together, an occassional feather, and a tortise shell, I don't believe there are many animal parts that I use. Not that there might not be a time or a place, but the spirits have not directed me in that direction. I question whether others truly need to use such items, but they are on their own paths, so I can hardly comment. Unless they are clearly not being respectful to those they are sacrificing and using; I might speak up then.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Hmmm. Aside from a hide made into a carrying pouch, and sinew to bind things (such as the pouch) together, an occassional feather, and a tortise shell, I don't believe there are many animal parts that I use. Not that there might not be a time or a place, but the spirits have not directed me in that direction. I question whether others truly need to use such items, but they are on their own paths, so I can hardly comment. Unless they are clearly not being respectful to those they are sacrificing and using; I might speak up then.
So why use hide and sinew when there are both natural and synthetic alternatives that don't require the death of another living being?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
So why use hide and sinew when there are both natural and synthetic alternatives that don't require the death of another living being?

Well, plants are living beings, too. And since I am an omnivore, I prefer to make respectful use of as much of those who give up their lives to nourish me and my kind as possible. Apologizing to them for harming them, thanking them for their sacrifice on my behalf, and reminding them that I and my kind are and will someday be food for their kinds. I often offer tobacco, sage or other herbs (odd, using one spirit to thank and calm another). That's whether it's plant, animal or anything else.

I tend to think that synthetics are not appropriate for ritual, although again that may just be me and my path. They're fine for everyday use, for me, although I have other reasons for avoiding some of them. Hmm. I haven't figured out how to live without some apparent hypocrisy.