• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask Polymath257 anything

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Which do you prefer more -- digital music or analog music?

I'm really not a big listener. I may listen to music on my own accord once a month or so.

I'm old enough that LPs were the only style when I was young (except for tape). I prefer mp3s, mostly for the convenience. LPs break too easily and are bulky.

Grandliseur

It's the Happy Humanist, representing my ethical position.
Wonder why he looks like an expensive dish at a restaurant where they serve dishes that cost a lot and contains little?!
playing with virtual computers
What is your favorite operating system?
(I spend most of my time reading, but non serious stuff - too much stress in my life the last few years, and now.)
No serious chess?

Last edited:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Wonder why he looks like an expensive dish at a restaurant where they serve dishes that cost a lot and contains little?!
Interpretations vary.

What is your favorite operating system?

I run Linux Mint on all my personal machines. I don't do Windows.

(I spend most of my time reading, but non serious stuff - too much stress in my life the last few years, and now.)

I read anything from technical articles to pulp. After enough reality, a bit of fantasy can be a good thing. And vice versa.

Grandliseur

I run Linux Mint on all my personal machines. I don't do Windows.
I have gotten really tired of Microsoft. But, it seems that it is difficult to find reasonable machines that run Linux. I know they have several versions. I thought that it is Ubuntu that most are sold with, but this is not my specialty.

I live in a place where getting English machines is a bit more expensive, and a little more difficult.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I have gotten really tired of Microsoft. But, it seems that it is difficult to find reasonable machines that run Linux. I know they have several versions. I thought that it is Ubuntu that most are sold with, but this is not my specialty.

Mint is an Ubuntu derivate (which is a Debian derivate) and uses many of the same repositories, so should work on most machines that Ubuntu works on.

I live in a place where getting English machines is a bit more expensive, and a little more difficult.

The language is a software issue, not hardware. The major Linux distros have multiple languages you can select.

Grandliseur

The language is a software issue, not hardware. The major Linux distros have multiple languages you can select.
I know. But, have you ever had to do anything on a Japanese machine? So, finding the English software and knowing how to do this to a Japanese machine is daunting.
I have become fairly capable of operating my Japanese Win 7 machine through its paces, but there are places I don't go, don't touch. In some things I am on par with others and on other things, perhaps considered simple by others, I might lack behind. Every prompt that is common to many apps is in Japanese.

People who have English machines and operate these on a daily basis don't know how much time and effort they are spared. It is one of the reasons I dislike MS intensely, they never paid attention to the fact that people who live in countries not all speak /read & write the language of whichever country they live in.

If I do buy a new machine, I would like it to have pre-installed Linux of whatever version would be the most recommended.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
What would be your goals in life -- the ones you wouldn't mind making public, of course (I never tell anyone about what I'd like to do when I finally get my hands on some fishnet stockings in my size!).

In line with that, what's you ideal for an adult human, if you have one?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
What would be your goals in life -- the ones you wouldn't mind making public, of course (I never tell anyone about what I'd like to do when I finally get my hands on some fishnet stockings in my size!).

In line with that, what's you ideal for an adult human, if you have one?

I want to go to the southern hemisphere and learn the stars. I'm pretty familiar with the northern sky. Now for the rest.

My ideal? To love, to learn, to experience this grand world. Someone who thinks deeply, who cares deeply, and who loves unashamedly.

Fishnet stockings are *not* excluded!

dingdao

The eternal Tao cannot be told - Tao Te Ching
Ok, how about a basic question. H
I know. But, have you ever had to do anything on a Japanese machine? So, finding the English software and knowing how to do this to a Japanese machine is daunting.
I have become fairly capable of operating my Japanese Win 7 machine through its paces, but there are places I don't go, don't touch. In some things I am on par with others and on other things, perhaps considered simple by others, I might lack behind. Every prompt that is common to many apps is in Japanese.

People who have English machines and operate these on a daily basis don't know how much time and effort they are spared. It is one of the reasons I dislike MS intensely, they never paid attention to the fact that people who live in countries not all speak /read & write the language of whichever country they live in.

If I do buy a new machine, I would like it to have pre-installed Linux of whatever version would be the most recommended.

Distrowatch shows 5 Linux distros developed in Japan. Download a few, burn the DVDs, and try them before installing them. DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

Polymath: How do I start a thread?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
When you got your PhD in Math, what was the subject for your dissertation ?

Is it published somewhere online?

Curious George

Veteran Member
How did your parents meet your social needs when you moved to uni at such a young age? Would you have wanted the same for your own children if the possibility had arisen?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
How did your parents meet your social needs when you moved to uni at such a young age? Would you have wanted the same for your own children if the possibility had arisen?

The first year at the university I rented a room from one of the physics professors. That gave me a 'family structure' as a transition into college life. The second year, I moved into the dorms and absolutely hated it. I don't like living in a hive. I ended up dropping out my second year and living with my girlfriend. Long story.. Third year, I had my own apartment and did fine.

I think going to the university early saved me in some ways. I would have been so bored in high school, I probably would have started doing drugs and gotten into a LOT of trouble. Once I was in college, I was stimulated intellectually and could actually talk about things I was interested in talking about.

Yes, skipping high school would be something I would strongly support if my daughter had wanted to.

Social development is something people have to do at some stage. High school is really not the place, though. Too many cliques and nastiness. Better to learn to interact with people of a variety of ages and backgrounds.