• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask Polymath257 anything

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Since I was recently upgraded, I thought it would be a good idea to be open to any questions about me that are out there.

Fire away!
Do you enjoy planting gardens? As a child did you have television? As a child did you live in the city or what? What kinds of schools did you attend? What was the political persuasion of your parents or legal guardians? What was their religious affiliation if any?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Why "polymath. . . "? Do you have a degree in mathematics?

Yes, I do. The moniker is a merging of several different lines.

I am polyamorous. I am a mathematician. And I like to learn about a wide variety of subjects. So polymath is a natural construct.

The 257 is based on what are known as Fermat primes. These are the prime numbers of the form 2^n +1 and only 5 such are known: 3, 5, 17, 257, 65537. Such primes come up in a number of places in mathematics.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you really know 257 different maths, or is that just a little self-horn-tooting?

Explained above. it is a Fermat prime.

I think a polymath is someone who is well versed in a number of sciences or subjects or something.

I try.

Do you enjoy planting gardens? As a child did you have television? As a child did you live in the city or what? What kinds of schools did you attend? What was the political persuasion of your parents or legal guardians? What was their religious affiliation if any?

I am definitely NOT a gardener. I don'tmind walking in them or eating the results, but the gardening itself isn't something I enjoy.

I am old enough that the TV when I grew up was black and white at first. I remember when the first color TV came into the house.

I was raised by my grandparents in a small town in central Kansas and attended public school with some Sunday and Wednesday school thrown in (Trinity Lutheran).

I don't recall politics ever being discussed at my grandparent's home. Well, except when Nixon stepped down. My grandfather was concerned whether Ford would be a good president (as opposed to being a good man).

David T

Premium Member
Since you are in training Can ignore your forum violation when it's sent? I am still working on my" that is the dumbest f@@king idea I have ever heard of you biblical half wit moron." responses. Apparently sometimes they aren't structured correctly!! Maybe f££King is more acceptable but I don't know.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? (In a 10 year period.) :)

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh, I forget to say *which* math degree I have. I got a PhD in math in 1986. My specialty at the time was abstract harmonic analysis. Since then, I have done work in measure theory and in special functions.

I've also taken the PhD qualifying exams in physics (and passed them), but do not have a PhD in physics.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Math quiz....

1) 10 crows sit on a telephone wire.
If I shoot one, how many are left?

2) I just dug a hole which is 1/pi wide x pi/e long x e deep.
How much dirt is in it.
(You may use approximate values for pi & e.)

3) What is pi + e?