• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask Me Stuff, Hammer Edition

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
That book got you, too? Mr. Greer's book drew me into Druidry for a good number of happy years. :)

That book really drew me into the Magic and Power of Symbolism and Stories; as well as making your Religion as a lifestyle choice and not just a label you wore. I've moved on from JMG, and follow a more Isaac Bonewits[ian] path at the moment, having allied myself with the ADF organization.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Username: The Hammer (obviously). Meaning - Originally, I was part of a very short lived pair with my friend being here as The Sickle, and yes we were trying to draw a bad Communism parallel. We had both defected (ie. got banned 'multiple' times), from a '9/11 conspiracy theory (truther)/Christian-End-of-the-World' website; run by a nutter named Mark Dice (probably a pseudonym), that shortly shut itself down due to trolls
This? -> Mark Dice - Wikipedia

My buddy, almost never showed up here, and I stuck around, but never bothered to change my username. I've been in and out, on and off of the forums since 2010, but have slowly turned into a regular. And in a stroke of luck, I had a 'calling' to the Norse Gods, of which the Hammer is a symbol, and I now find it a lovely coincidence.
We joined around the same time. I don't remember many users. I remember you though. I'm not sure why, but it seems like we hit it off....at least back then. Chat room maybe. I'm not sure, but I remember some positive exchanges that cemented you into my mind.

About me: I'm a 10 year Navy Veteran, and while I didn't enjoy 60% of my time in, I wouldn't trade the experiences for the World. Nothing beats the sky at night out to sea, or a sunset, or a sunrise (if you catch my drift). I was rated (job) as a Fire Controlman and ultimately did maintenance and repair on electronics and computers that managed the Tomahawk Missiles System. On the side I took on duties as a Maintenance Supervisor, worked the ships Armory on my duty days, and taught others to shoot during live fire exercises. Eventually, I ended my tour teaching introductory Sailors how to be and Act like Sailors, while the were living and going to their technical schools right after Boot Camp. This consisted of basically micromanaging 300 17-25 year olds, many of whom had just left home for the first time, through their day to day activities.
I spent a lot of time in Va Beach which was right next to Norfolk Naval Base.

I've considered myself a Pagan and Druid for the last 15 and 13 years respectively. Although my devotion to the Gods has grown and, sometimes even disapated over time; it has ultimately been Strengthened through engagement and connection with others on this forum.
I have met several online druids since about 2007 or so and one in real life. I also encountered a neighbor that was a druid! I think you folks are rare, so its odd that I actually had a neighbor. I haven't met enough to have a strong intuition about the reappearance of druids. Its curious but people I encounter have an impulse to research various pre-christian groups. My experience indicates that there are a large number of people doing this, but perhaps my experience is not representative.

I am currently attending University, and it is taking up a large percentage of my time. I am studying Anthropology and minoring in Archaeology.
University should theoretically take up all of one's time and a double major should be absolutely crippling. Many students don't bother doing laundry and just buy new clothing or wear the same ones until they are mistaken for homeless people, thrown into jail and rinsed with hoses just like in Rambo Firstblood. Another hallmark of modern campuses is to see students wandering about in pajamas. I think those are the freshmen who haven't yet given up on doing laundry.

Political Views: Mostly Progressive, Left-Leaning, but fairly close to Moderate/Center, IMO.
Me, too. Ban alcohol and bikinis, absolutely. What are those damn conservative politicians thinking. What's needed is a decent subsidy for our bowling alleys that have been failing ever since celluloid was banned by conservatives. Its perfectly good, cheap plastic that only explodes if you don't respect it.

Interests: Nature, Plants and Animals. Open World video games, mostly the Elder Scrolls and Mass Effect franchises. Listening to music. I also love to read, when I actually have the time to do so outside of school. I usually read non-fiction (science, psychology) , Religion, and Mythology, oh yeah RF is also mandatory reading for mods :p.

Random fact: I have a dog named Loki, with whom I couldn't share a more Pure love for, and him in turn for me. Relax, I'm talking about Storge and Philia, or Familial, and Friendship love.

So, now that you've made it to the end, please feel free to ask me anything else.
Are you going to name your first child 'Brick'?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
This? -> Mark Dice - Wikipedia

We joined around the same time. I don't remember many users. I remember you though. I'm not sure why, but it seems like we hit it off....at least back then. Chat room maybe. I'm not sure, but I remember some positive exchanges that cemented you into my mind.

I spent a lot of time in Va Beach which was right next to Norfolk Naval Base.

I have met several online druids since about 2007 or so and one in real life. I also encountered a neighbor that was a druid! I think you folks are rare, so its odd that I actually had a neighbor. I haven't met enough to have a strong intuition about the reappearance of druids. Its curious but people I encounter have an impulse to research various pre-christian groups. My experience indicates that there are a large number of people doing this, but perhaps my experience is not representative.

University should theoretically take up all of one's time and a double major should be absolutely crippling. Many students don't bother doing laundry and just buy new clothing or wear the same ones until they are mistaken for homeless people, thrown into jail and rinsed with hoses just like in Rambo Firstblood. Another hallmark of modern campuses is to see students wandering about in pajamas. I think those are the freshmen who haven't yet given up on doing laundry.

Me, too. Ban alcohol and bikinis, absolutely. What are those damn conservative politicians thinking. What's needed is a decent subsidy for our bowling alleys that have been failing ever since celluloid was banned by conservatives. Its perfectly good, cheap plastic that only explodes if you don't respect it.

Are you going to name your first child 'Brick'?

Holy ****! Yes, that Mark Dice... He is the reason why I have such a distaste for right wing politics.

I am pretty sure I remember us hitting it off as well Brick. Possibly chat room, we should bring that feature back.

Norfolk huh? "Dogs and Sailors Keep Off Grass" signs still out and about?

There has been a strong push and resurgence of interest in the Tribal Religions that were overtaken by Christianity. Druidry among them. I find it interesting when I can see people openly wearing Pentagrams and such, such as the 7/11 night clerk down the street. I also served with quite a few open Pagans. Before I got off of FB I was even regularly starting to see Pagan stuff make an appearance, which means it's gained some mainstream acceptance, and I am wondering what is next for the Religion as a whole, in terms of growth and structure. What I think all Religions need to do to stay relevant in the future is to keep Mother Nature at the forefront.

Uni has been absolutely crazy. Even having taken Community College before, I was not quite expecting the pace of my courses, but I am and have learned a ton so far.

Bowling Alley Subsidies? Have you never Wii bowled? ;)

If you pay me enough I might make Brick their middle name :p

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
4. I have not been to Papua New Guinea, but I have been near those water. What I do know is that of the roughly 7000 spoken languages around the world, they (PNG) contain around 6000 of them.

Oooh...kinda.
So, it's by far the most linguistically diverse place on Earth. Not even close.
But it's more like 900 actual languages. Throw dialects into the mix, and the number explodes.

Still, 900 languages, across 8.4 million people is insane when you think about it.
I taught up there in a single teacher school, got upto 13 kids at it's maximum size, ages 5-15. I taught in English, Australian curriculum. So the kids would of course talk to each other in Tok Pisin (pidgin), when they wanted to make cunning plans, or not have me listen in. Once I figured that language out enough to understand, they switched to Tok Ples (which just means local language). That slowed them down, though, since none of them could all speak the same third language, so they'd have to pass little daisy chain messages around and interpret for each other.

It was pretty amusing to watch, really.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Oooh...kinda.
So, it's by far the most linguistically diverse place on Earth. Not even close.
But it's more like 900 actual languages. Throw dialects into the mix, and the number explodes.

Still, 900 languages, across 8.4 million people is insane when you think about it.
I taught up there in a single teacher school, got upto 13 kids at it's maximum size, ages 5-15. I taught in English, Australian curriculum. So the kids would of course talk to each other in Tok Pisin (pidgin), when they wanted to make cunning plans, or not have me listen in. Once I figured that language out enough to understand, they switched to Tok Ples (which just means local language). That slowed them down, though, since none of them could all speak the same third language, so they'd have to pass little daisy chain messages around and interpret for each other.

It was pretty amusing to watch, really.

I'll give you that, I was taught that they were languages, and I would say that a Dialect is a language, once it starts to exclude others of the same language family from understanding, mutual intelligibility. Which almost seems to be the case considering as you said none of the kids spoke the same third language.

But yes, it would be amusing to watch. We are amazingly complex creatures even at a young age, and quite adept at language, when given the chance.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
But yes, it would be amusing to watch. We are amazingly complex creatures even at a young age, and quite adept at language, when given the chance.

Good point. I lectured in language development for a short while. The ability of very young people to develop different sounds from multiple languages and then use them is amazing. We tend to see it as a mark of intelligence (and to some degree all language use is) but take someone young enough, and immerse them fully enough, and they learn this basically universally. Pretty amazing.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Good point. I lectured in language development for a short while. The ability of very young people to develop different sounds from multiple languages and then use them is amazing. We tend to see it as a mark of intelligence (and to some degree all language use is) but take someone young enough, and immerse them fully enough, and they learn this basically universally. Pretty amazing.

A group of deaf kids who had never learned language, or met each other before, were put together on a bus to a an Orphanage. By the end of the bus ride to the Orphanage, the kids developed their own unique version of sign language.

Nicaraguan Sign Language, the language developed by the deaf children of Nicaragua in complete isolation

amorphous_constellation

that's good, I tend to think some 20 year olds need that kind of structure, maybe not enough get it

Other than your love of the sea sky, are you into any terrestrial recreation? Maybe like deep woods camping, mountain climbing etc ?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Have you ever played Zelda Breath of the Wild or Xenoblade?

I haven ever played either of those games. The last iteration of a Legend of Zelda game that I played was Twilight Princess, and I loved it, just as I have every other LoZ (accept 2, because that **** is hard, and who side scrolls Zelda?).

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
What are you planning to do with your degree? What's your area of interest? What's your fantasy find of a lifetime?

Not sure, as to what I am planning on doing with my degree at the moment. But I have always loved the idea of working for or with the National Geographic organization. Areas of interest are Religion (should be obvious), and Language. As far as Archaeology goes, I like Medieval (5th-15th CE) period but will probably not get the chance to work those types of sites, as I don't live in Europe. I also have an interest in Indigenous History of the Americas, but I am only recently starting to delve into this.

Fantasy find of a lifetime? Material evidence of some previously undiscovered Culture would be awesome.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
that's good, I tend to think some 20 year olds need that kind of structure, maybe not enough get it

Other than your love of the sea sky, are you into any terrestrial recreation? Maybe like deep woods camping, mountain climbing etc ?

That sort of structure is good for some, and detrimental to the growth of others.

I used to be an much more avid hiker (arthritis/tendonitis), and I try to go camping a couple times a year. I am also starting a foray into Edible Mushroom foraging, and also regularly go walk the trails at the park with my Dog.