• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask me stuff about the bible?

3rdAngel

Hi Guys, haven't been here before. Thought this might be a nice informal place for a chat if anyone is interested. I do not claim to know everything as I am only learning (a disciple). But what I do know I am happy to discuss and what I do not happy to look into :)

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Hi Guys, haven't been here before. Thought this might be a nice informal place for a chat if anyone is interested. I do not claim to know everything as I am only learning (a disciple). But what I do know I am happy to discuss and what I do not happy to look into :)

I noticed on another thread that you used a video explaining what is essentially an orthodox view of the Bible’s teaching on “hell”.

On what scripture do you base your belief in such a place and how does this fit with the personality of the God of the Bible in your opinion?

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
To what extent does the OT foreshadow the NT?
A lot. Even a lot more than you'd get in many articles or books about that, though on the other hand the contents of Hebrews chapter 11 does help point at one way that is less obvious without it. Keeping Hebrews 11 in mind, you can see more often how the issue at hand in a situation in the OT is about faith or not having faith. Even in the Garden also, for instance. Can we be brought back into trust with God, as Adam and Eve before they broke trust.

halbhh

Hi Mest, a sinful heart (thoughts and feelings).
1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. By craving it, some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many sorrows.

One thing I found was that every study book about the bible or a book in the bible was always less informative than simply reading through that particular scriptural book fully, with a listening attitude. There is just more than than the summaries capture, over and over.

3rdAngel

I noticed on another thread that you used a video explaining what is essentially an orthodox view of the Bible’s teaching on “hell”.

On what scripture do you base your belief in such a place and how does this fit with the personality of the God of the Bible in your opinion?

Hi Deeje, how are you. Are you sure that was me? I do not normally post many videos. :)

3rdAngel

To what extent does the OT foreshadow the NT?
In my view according to the scriptures the Old testament (OT) scriptures point to the new and much (not all) of the OT is fulfilled in the new. For example the OT pointed to the promised Messiah through much of the Sanctuary services and sin offerings and God's plan of salvation which is revealed in the NT scriptures. So those who lived before Christ looked forward to the promised Messiah (Christ) while those who live after Christ look back to the cross and the new administration that JESUS is doing on behalf of all mankind in the heavenly Sanctuary being our true sinless sacrifice (Lamb of God - John 1:29)

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
The question still stands though.....what is your view of the Bible's hell?

3rdAngel

1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. By craving it, some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many sorrow.

My understanding here is that the Greek words here translate “a root of all evil,” instead of “the root,” making this alteration on the ground of the article not being prefixed to the Greek word rendered “root.”

From another source..

The love of money—not the money itself, but the love of it—the wishing to be rich (1Ti 6:9)—"is a root (Ellicott and Middleton: not as English Version, 'the root') of all evils." (So the Greek plural). The wealthiest may be rich not in a bad sense; the poorest may covet to be so (Ps 62:10). Love of money is not the sole root of evils, but it is a leading "root of bitterness" (Heb 12:15), for "it destroys faith, the root of all that is good" [Bengel]; its offshoots are "temptation, a snare, lusts, destruction, perdition." (JFBM)

Last edited:

3rdAngel

The question still stands though.....what is your view of the Bible's hell?

Good question though and an interesting one.

My understanding is that the english word for hell in the OT is from the Hebrew word used as שׁאול שׁאל; she'ôl she'ôl (H7585) which means the world of the dead, including its accessories and inmates: - grave, hell, pit. The Greek words used is ᾅδης hadēs G1492; properly unseen, that is, " Hades" or the place (state) of departed souls: - grave, hell. When you look at the word meanings for both the Hebrew and Greek the word use and application refers to the place of the dead being the grave. I do not believe in the Catholic Church's teaching on Hell, burning in Hell and the state of the dead etc. It is not biblical and a false doctrine IMO.

halbhh

My understanding here is that Greek words translate “a root of all evil,” instead of “the root,” making this alteration on the ground of the article not being prefixed to the Greek word rendered “root.”

From another source..

The love of money—not the money itself, but the love of it—the wishing to be rich (1Ti 6:9)—"is a root (Ellicott and Middleton: not as English Version, 'the root') of all evils." (So the Greek plural). The wealthiest may be rich not in a bad sense; the poorest may covet to be so (Ps 62:10). Love of money is not the sole root of evils, but it is a leading "root of bitterness" (Heb 12:15), for "it destroys faith, the root of all that is good" [Bengel]; its offshoots are "temptation, a snare, lusts, destruction, perdition." (JFBM)
Interesting. I think of money both as one thing, but also second as a stand in for all sorts of stuff in the world, here. Does one love sports more than God for instance. Or most generally: does one love worldly, fleshly things more than the wondrous good things of God? (the "more" matters) The rich young man who asked what more he could do, and Christ's message for him in particular was that he should choose whom he loved more, God or money, or as in another place, one cannot "serve 2 masters".

3rdAngel

Interesting. I think of money both as one thing, but also second as a stand in for all sorts of stuff in the world, here. Does one love sports more than God for instance. Or most generally: does one love worldly, fleshly things more than the wondrous good things of God? (the "more" matters) The rich young man who asked what more he could do, and Christ's message for him in particular was that he should choose whom he loved more, God or money, or as in another place, one cannot "serve 2 masters".
Absoultely good post. This is also where I am coming from as well which is outlined in JESUS sermon on the mount in MATTHEW 5. The root of all evil is a sinful heart (thoughts and feelings). This is why JESUS says unless your righteousness exeeds the righteousness of the scribes and pharisees we will not enter into God's Kingdom. Also the thought and desire for sin is where sin comes from (eg, Adulter and anger) and elsewhere by JESUS; For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashed hands defiles not a man (MATTHEW 15:19-20).

halbhh

Absoultely good post. This is also where I am coming from as well which is outlined in JESUS sermon on the mount in MATTHEW 5. The root of all evil is a sinful heart (thoughts and feelings). This is why JESUS says unless your righteousness exeeds the righteousness of the scribes and pharisees we will not enter into God's Kingdom. Also the thought and desire for sin is where sin comes from (eg, Adulter and anger) and elsewhere by JESUS; For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashed hands defiles not a man (MATTHEW 15:19-20).
The 'thought and desire for sin' -- something to think on, yes with the verses you point to about the heart. Plenty to think on, since in the OT we learn there is a promise for a new heart, to replace a heart of stone (lacking love, compassion?) with a 'heart of flesh'.

coconut theology

coconuts for Jesus
Malo. 3rd Angel. I send you a message:

Jdg 7:5 So he brought down the people unto the water: and the LORD said unto Gideon, Every one that lappeth of the water with his tongue, as a dog lappeth, him shalt thou set by himself; likewise every one that boweth down upon his knees to drink.
Jdg 7:6 And the number of them that lapped, putting their hand to their mouth, were three hundred men: but all the rest of the people bowed down upon their knees to drink water.​

Take your eyes not off of the hills, the enemies of Israel are looking for any vantage, and in many cases make them up. The "stones" here are very "hard".

You ought know what this means.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
how did jesus turn water into wine?