• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask me anything within reason

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
My name is Adrian and I’ve been active on RF for nearly two years now. I’m sure one or two of you have seen me around.:)

I’ve been a Baha’i for nearly 30 years but grew up as a Christian. I went through a period of search for about 5 years where I explored my Christian roots, Buddhism, Hinduism and atheism before becoming a Baha’i. During the years of search I lived for over 2 years in relative isolation meditating and contemplating the meaning of life.

Ironically I wasn’t at all interested in religion in my teens being much more interested in music, sport, studies and friends. I did OK at school which led me into medicine. I’m a GP now but spent 7 years as a psychiatry intern.

I married in my mid 30s and have two teenage sons. My wife is half Japanese and I’m of European descent. We’ve all been to Japan a few times now.

Being on RF has been a great place to learn about different Faiths. I’ve learnt so much from many people here so thank you. I do enjoy debates but please accept my apologies for those I’ve offended. It’s never been my intention.

Anyway, I thought I’d introduce myself:cool:

Last edited:

Earthling

David Henson
Did the 2 years in isolation help you find any meaning to life, and why do you think so many people are plagued by this illusive meaning?

Also. You suggested I chill out and I took that to heart, how do you think I'm doing?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
What, if anything, did you take away from Buddhism?

What do you like best about Japanese culture?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Did the 2 years in isolation help you find any meaning to life,

After about 20 months I became an atheist, developed severe depression and felt suicidal. I felt as if I had completely failed in what I had devoted all my energies too. I returned to civilisation dejected. Then I started praying again and returned to church (Baptist). My spirits lifted and I felt confident enough to explore other faith communities including the Buddhists and Baha'is. I realised in hindsight that my period of retreat had enabled me to stand back detached from everything and consider reality more objectively.

and why do you think so many people are plagued by this illusive meaning?

Religion has fallen into disrepute for all sorts of reasons. All the main world faiths have their roots in a social setting very different from today. As religions adjust to the modern world the challenge is to reconcile to modernity. All the major faiths are struggling for relevance IMHO and to work out which teachings to keep and what to discard.

Also. You suggested I chill out and I took that to heart, how do you think I'm doing?

I think you are fundamentally a descent person and its good to have you here. We're all human and every now and then people get under our skins and push our buttons. You seem to be doing well.:)

How are you feeling about being here?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
What, if anything, did you take away from Buddhism?

I learnt to meditate and to be detached or step back from everything, including my own psychological processes.

What do you like best about Japanese culture?

The food.

Beyond that I think the Japanese people are amazing to have recovered so well after WWII and become such a major player in the world economy.

Earthling

David Henson
After about 20 months I became an atheist, developed severe depression and felt suicidal. I felt as if I had completely failed in what I had devoted all my energies too. I returned to civilisation dejected. Then I started praying again and returned to church (Baptist). My spirits lifted and I felt confident enough to explore other faith communities including the Buddhists and Baha'is. I realised in hindsight that my period of retreat had enabled me to stand back detached from everything and consider reality more objectively.

Religion has fallen into disrepute for all sorts of reasons. All the main world faiths have their roots in a social setting very different from today. As religions adjust to the modern world the challenge is to reconcile to modernity. All the major faiths are struggling for relevance IMHO and to work out which teachings to keep and what to discard.

I think you are fundamentally a descent person and its good to have you here. We're all human and every now and then people get under our skins and push our buttons. You seem to be doing well.:)

How are you feeling about being here?

Thank you for some interesting answers. How do I feel about it? I'm glad that I can deal with this subject now without becoming very frustrated and acting like a spoiled child. On the other hand my heart is no longer in the discussion of religion and the Bible. The latter which I especially used to love to discuss and study.

I'm a shadow of my former self when it comes to that, and I miss it. I hope I get it back. On the other hand I feel as if I've released a tremendous weight of a massive chip on my shoulder. I didn't realize how bad it had gotten until you pointed it out and several people agreed.

David T

Premium Member
My name is Adrian and I’ve been active on RF for nearly two years now. I’m sure one or two of you have seen me around.:)

I’ve been a Baha’i for nearly 30 years but grew up as a Christian. I went through a period of search for about 5 years where I explored my Christian roots, Buddhism, Hinduism and atheism before becoming a Baha’i. During the years of search I lived for over 2 years in relative isolation meditating and contemplating the meaning of life.

Ironically I wasn’t at all interested in religion in my teens being much more interested in music, sport, studies and friends. I did OK at school which led me into medicine. I’m a GP now but spent 7 years as a psychiatry intern.

I married in my mid 30s and have two teenage sons. My wife is half Japanese and I’m of European descent. We’ve all been to Japan a few times now.

Being on RF has been a great place to learn about different Faiths. I’ve learnt so much from many people here so thank you. I do enjoy debates but please accept my apologies for those I’ve offended. It’s never been my intention.

"please accept my apologies for those I’ve offended. It’s never been my intention."

Oh its been totally thoughtless offenses. Seems kinda ameeeerican!!!!

Ok i hope you know if i havent already said it, i Highly regard and repect your perceptions. (notice i disregard beliefs) i totally pay zero attention to beliefs i dont care. Neither do the trees nor my daughter.. . I do mean absolute Zero.

i do have a spiritual question. Because our Your strong cultural symbiosis with the native maori(sp) as a new zelander, does that impact your perception as a semi balding anglo european?

Btw if i ever make it down under for a grand motorcycling adventure i would enjoy meeting you! Love whale rider btw. Along with hobbit tales!!! ¡ Peace.

Btw Americahas also have at least 1% of its population that is sane!!! I like to" believe"i am that.

Last edited:

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
"please accept my apologies for those I’ve offended. It’s never been my intention."

Oh its been totally thoughtless offenses. Seems kinda ameeeerican!!!!

Ok i hope you know if i havent already said it, i Highly regard and repect your perceptions. (notice i disregard beliefs) i totally pay zero attention to beliefs i dont care. Neither do the trees nor my daughter.. . I do mean absolute Zero.

i do have a spiritual question. Because our Your strong cultural symbiosis with the native maori(sp) as a new zelander, does that impact your perception as a semi balding anglo european?

Btw if i ever make it down under for a grand motorcycling adventure i would enjoy meeting you! Love whale rider btw. Along with hobbit tales!!! ¡ Peace.

Btw Americahas also have at least 1% of its population that is sane!!! I like to" believe"i am that.

I'm a New Zealander and 16% of us are Maori. Beyond that we have 10% of our population that is Asian and about 7% Pacific Islanders. We are a cuturally diverse country amidst the vast ocean. Maori culture is very much woven into the fabric of who we are as New Zealanders. Traditional Maori beliefs have similarities to Shintoism. Besides we have the Ratana church with is an amalgamation of Christian and Maori spirituality.

Because of my English heritage, I don't like to offend poeple and am reserved. So I suppose we are opposites to some of the more brash Americans. Regardless, I love Americans but abhor racism and nationalism.

I would love to meet you David if you ever made it here. I don't have a motorcycle at the moment but we could hire a couple and go on a road trip.

DustyFeet

पैर है| outlaw kosher care-bear | Tribe of Dan
I do enjoy debates but please accept my apologies for those I’ve offended. It’s never been my intention.

kind... gentle... reasoned... solid gold...

post #4 yafeh, achi ( beautiful, brother )

"Ask me anything within reason"
the Baha'i perspective on the meaning of life?
the adrian009 perspective on the meaning of life?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
kind... gentle... reasoned... solid gold...

post #4 yafeh, achi ( beautiful, brother )

"Ask me anything within reason"
the Baha'i perspective on the meaning of life?
the adrian009 perspective on the meaning of life?

Thanks brother. Its always good to talk to a universalist from whatever Faith or worldview.

The purpose of life from a Baha'i perspective is to know and worship God. Practically that means serving humanity in whatever capacity I feel God is asking of me. Practically that means serving the community from my work as a medical doctor, being a decent husband and father, assisting with interfaith activities in my city, working alongside my Christian brothers and sisters, working alongside a Jewish brother to design am interfaith space as part of my cities new hospital, helping my wife assisting Muslim Syrian refugees relocate into our city, and helping my Baha'i sister assist the Hindus with their local temple project.

I'm good with the Baha'i perspective on life because it means being a good citizen and striving to be a better human being. Life is short and I'd rather sacrifice the short time I have on this earth for the betterment of others than become too preoccupied with my own stuff. On a personal level I try to sacrifice my life sensibly and avoid the ever present risk of burnout. :)

DustyFeet

पैर है| outlaw kosher care-bear | Tribe of Dan
avoid the ever present risk of burnout

i'm learning from the Buddhists here, "burnout" is not always "pejorative" :)

much luv from the pacific northwest

thank you ayye InfiniteSpirit where ever you are

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Hmm. What does bahaism give you in contrast to Buddhism (assuming the similar one your wife follows?) and hinduism?

Dont worry. Im only insulted for 2hrs, 5mins, and 33sec with a grace period. ;)

Goodnight/morning

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Hmm. What does bahaism give you in contrast to Buddhism (assuming the similar one your wife follows?) and hinduism?

Dont worry. Im only inhttps://www.religiousforums.com/threads/ask-me-anything-within-reason.215073/#post-5868784sulted for 2hrs, 5mins, and 33sec with a grace period. ;)

Goodnight/morning

LOL.

The concept of Eternal (Sanatana) Dharma makes sense. Buddha became enlightened and taught the Dharma. The Dharma has now decayed as far as I can see. The transcendant spiritual teachings are what's required not just at a personal level but at all levels of community from a neighbourhood to the global community. The Baha'i faith provided me with something Buddhism couldn't.

During my search, the Tibetan Buddhist community was the only establsihed Buddhist community in town. There wasn't even a Hindu community. To become Buddhist mean chanting Suttas in Sanskrit and adopting cultural practices unfamiliar to my Christian/Western background. The cultural gap was significant. The Tibetan Buddhist community with its monks and nuns and teachings from a Tibetan teacher that needed translation appeared attractive yet foreign. Some essential truths I had learnt and knew from Christianity were absent.

OTOH the Baha'i Faith had successfully establshed itself and adapted to Western culture nearly 100 years ago. The integration between Christianity and the Baha'i Faith was seemless. I came to appreciate Baha'u'llah had renewed the Eternal Dharma and reframed its basic tenants to meet the needs of a modern world.

I hope that didn't insult you too much.:D

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
LOL.

The concept of Eternal (Sanatana) Dharma makes sense. Buddha became enlightened and taught the Dharma. The Dharma has now decayed as far as I can see. The transcendant spiritual teachings are what's required at a personal level but at all levels of community from a grass roots neighbourhood to the global community.

The Baha'i faith provided me with something Buddhism couldn't. During my search, the Tibetan Buddhist community was the only establsihed Buddhist community in my town. There wasn't even a Hindu community. To become Buddhist mean chanting Suttas in Sanskrit and adopting cultural practices alien to my Christian/Western background.

The cultural gap was significant. The Tibetan Buddhist community with its monks and nuns and teachings from a Tibetan teacher that needed translation appeared anachronistic. Some essential truths I had learnt and knew from Christianity were absent.

OTOH the Baha'i Faith had successfully establshed itself and adapted to Western culture nearly 100 years ago. The integration between Christianity and the Baha'i Faith was coherent and clear. In regards Buddhism I came to appreciate Baha'u'llah had renewed the Eternal Dharma and reframed its basic tenants to meet the needs of a modern world.

I hope that didn't insult you too much.:D

Yeah. That is a challenge for me too. The Buddhist communities here (Kadampa/tibetan, Zen Monastary, and Shoshu respectively) the first two practitioners arent native english speakers. The abbot at the Zen temple speaks some english but she is always traveling that I cant talk to her about getting more intimate in the community and finding a teacher.

Kadampa is Tibetan but an off shoot. The Dali Lama seperated from them over a political issues (same as Nichiren practitioners) So they both are native english because they adapted to western culture, but by far not the Dharma practice I am famliar with.

But, yeah, its black and white switch so its good you went to something more familar.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah. That is a challenge for me too. The Buddhist communities here (Kadampa/tibetan, Zen Monastary, and Shoshu respectively) the first two practitioners arent native english speakers. The abbot at the Zen temple speaks some english but she is always traveling that I cant talk to her about getting more intimate in the community and finding a teacher.

Kadampa is Tibetan but an off shoot. The Dali Lama seperated from them over a political issues (same as Nichiren practitioners) So they both are native english because they adapted to western culture, but by far not the Dharma practice I am famliar with.

But, yeah, its black and white switch so its good you went to something more familar.

I had a strong sense of a spiritual light within Buddhist and Hindu teachings. The ethical/moral teachings are both profound and practical. The theism didn't resonate though. Buddhism can border on atheism and Hinduism's polytheism appears mythical. The Theism of the Abrahamic Faiths is something I believe in. The ethical/moral teachings strike the right balance between working it out for yourself while providing a clear framework.

The Baha'i Faith acknowledges the spiritual origins of Buddhism and Hinduism. Christianity as traditionally understood, rejects these religions...along with everything else apart from itself. As a universalist, the choice was an obvious one.

However I do believe Buddhism is the best religion for you. Belief in God is not something that happens like switching on a light or by an act of will.

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Ironically I wasn’t at all interested in religion in my teens being much more interested in music, sport, studies and friends.
To me this does not seem ironic, because there is limited time for teenagers. There is so much to compress, and school takes up many hours.

I’m a GP now
...then I guess you've seen all kinds of ailments and know a lot of terminology. In addition you are Baha'i and learn all kinds of terminology about religions. Is this easy for you?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
To me this does not seem ironic, because there is limited time for teenagers. There is so much to compress, and school takes up many hours.

That is true.

...then I guess you've seen all kinds of ailments and know a lot of terminology. In addition you are Baha'i and learn all kinds of terminology about religions. Is this easy for you?

Being a GP involves seeing 20 + people each day who could attend with any possible medical or non medical problem. Its a challenging role. I spent 6 years completing a medical degree, 2 years as a junior doctor working in hospitals, and it takes at least 3 years to complete a post graduate fellowship in general practice. That's at last 11 years training. Being trained and having recognised qualifications help. Working in general practice is now a very familiar role, one that I enjoy, and a privilege to be part of.

I've been a Baha'i for nearly 30 years. I grew up Christian and spent 5 years investigating religion and spirituality before becoming a Baha'i. Being a Baha'i and learning about the Baha'i writings is similar to other Abrahamic Faiths. However to truly understand the Baha'i writings entails a sound understanding of Christianity, Islam and Judaism as well. Its impossible to understand Christianity fully without having a deep appreciation of Judaism. Knowledge of history and science are essential too. Having a sense of how Hinduism and Buddhism works helps. So its as easy or hard as we want it to be. Personally I find God is challenging me to have a world embracing view. That's both rewarding and challenging at the same time.

How easy is it for you being a Christian?