• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask Me Anything with Left Coast

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
3) Are the rumors about you @Quagmire true?
I started them, and they are true. They did together adopt an orangutan, and now the kid just surfs the internet all day and all night long. They never see him.

Buttons. Who has velcro on their shirts? What are you, in a hospital?
I didn't want to make a false assumption, and you might have been Lada Gaga. I wasn't sure.

I assume all regular RFers are brains in vats, don't you?
I could wish they were pizza. A pizza is well rounded, and you can excuse it for being a flat earther or revolutionist. Either way its just a pizza.

Is there an RF rule against asking too many questions? :p If so I'm reporting you!
Sometimes I wish there were a rule against answering too many, so that I could get a word in edgewise.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
No, can't say I have. I've had what I would describe as deep emotional experiences, or feelings of profound peace or joy, but I'm not sure if they qualify.

It's quite possible. Such an experience doesn't necessarily have to be a 'god' experience. There have been atheists that have had what I would consider to be a mystical experience.

I think such experiences may might be quite similar, but one's worldview may apply different interpretations to said experience.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Hmmm ... what is beauty to you, then?

I thought that might be your follow-up. ;)

This is completely off the cuff without any googling: beauty is that which is aesthetically or experientially pleasing.

PureX

Veteran Member
I thought that might be your follow-up. ;)

This is completely off the cuff without any googling: beauty is that which is aesthetically or experientially pleasing.
Sadly, I knew you would say that, as most people do. And unfortunately, it tells us nothing. :)

However, I still hold the hope that what you find "pleasing" about experiencing a work of art is being able to experience the gift of being, through the 'being' of someone else (i.e., the artist). Like getting a very special kind of ticket into thoughts and emotions of another person, for a moment. And returning to yourself feeling like you're not so alone. That your humanity is a shared condition, even as it is an amazingly unique experience for each of us.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Sadly, I knew you would say that, as most people do. And unfortunately, it tells us nothing. :)

I disagree. But hey, get your own thread!

However, I still hold the hope that what you find "pleasing" about experiencing a work of art is being able to experience the gift of being, through the 'being' of someone else (i.e., the artist). Like getting a very special kind of ticket into thoughts and emotions of another person, for a moment. And returning to yourself feeling like you're not so alone. That your humanity is a shared condition, even as it is an amazingly unique experience for each of us.

That's certainly a lovely sentiment. To me, that could describe any moment of interaction with another person. And I suppose you could see all of life as art or beauty, but that sort of cheapens the artistic experience from my perspective, makes it less salient and special. Art, to me, refers to something that requires intention, skill, creativity, something designed to provoke the intended response in the consumer.

But what do I know? :shrug:

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I didn't want to make a false assumption, and you might have been Lada Gaga. I wasn't sure.

Oh stahp, you're too kind! :kissingheart:

I could wish they were pizza. A pizza is well rounded, and you can excuse it for being a flat earther or revolutionist. Either way its just a pizza.

Speaking of pizza, I recently discovered a local vegan pizza place which (hear me out) is legitimately delicious. Would recommend!

Sometimes I wish there were a rule against answering too many, so that I could get a word in edgewise.

Listen you. :p

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
A follow-up to the dialogue with @PureX:

Do you consider yourself artistic? If so, in what ways?

Thank you,

PureX

Veteran Member
To me, that could describe any moment of interaction with another person. And I suppose you could see all of life as art or beauty, but that sort of cheapens the artistic experience from my perspective, makes it less salient and special. Art, to me, refers to something that requires intention, skill, creativity, something designed to provoke the intended response in the consumer.

But what do I know?
Why didn't you just say this in the first place? :)

The reason I get so persnickety about this is because claiming that, "art is whatever I like" (or think is pretty), or that, "art is whatever I say it is" cheapens and demeans the artistic endeavor, horrendously. To the point, really, of presuming it to be meaningless titillation. And as an artist who knows how much thought and effort real artists put into making real art, I find that both dishonest and offensive.