• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask me anything about Quakers

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Why are they called quakers?
This one user on the other thread answered that question best:
For those curious about the origins of the term 'Quaker,' here's an excerpt from pendle.net:

The term "Quaker" refers to a member of the Religious
Society of Friends, which is the proper name of the sect.
There are two reputed origins of the term, the first
refers to people "quaking" or trembling when feeling
moved by the Holy Spirit to speak in Meetings for
Worship. The other according to Elfrida Vipont Brown, is:

George Fox was arrested in Derby in October 1650 and
charged with blasphemy. The magistrates who tried him
were Gervase Bennett and Colonel Nathaniel Barton.
George Fox was questioned intermittently over an eight
hour period, during which at one point George Fox told
the magistrates "Tremble at the word of the Lord". It
was Justice Bennett who coined the name "Quakers" for
the followers of George Fox.

VoidCat

Discrimination against Quakers?
I don't know of any discrimination against them except when their beliefs conflict with the law. For example some Quakers as part of the integrity value don't swear or make promises at all. They believe it to be against the Bible and/or they believe it to do so say there is a special times to tell the truth and they feel that is wrong for one should always tell the truth.In court however they have been known in the past for refusing to swear an oath and have in the past been arrested for it. Currently in most countries there have been exceptions made for Quaker regarding this

Last edited:

VoidCat

Hm. What categorizes one as a Quaker specifically?
A belief that their is a little bit of that of God in everyone called the Inner Light.For some Quakers the Inner light may be different but the belief that it is in everyone and can be directly experience and guide you is the same for all of them.A strong desire to follow and grow close to the Inner Light. Following SPICES: simplicity, peace, intergrity. compassion,equality,stewardship. For more on this see my response here:
A Quaker is someone who is part of of the Religious society of Friends. Quaker values are SPICES: simplicity, peace, intergerity, compassion, equality and stewardship. We believe that there is a little bit of that of God's spirit in everyone called the Inward Light,the Inner Light, Spirit or that of God in everyone. We have no set creed or doctrine and there are many different types of Quakers.Quakerism was started by George Fox and Margaret Fell a long time ago. It is also called the Religious Society of Friends. The basic beliefs of most Quakers is this: There is a little bit of that of God in everyone. They believe in SPICES: simplicity, peace, integrity compassion equality and stewardship. There are different branches of Quakers. You have for instance Programmed and Unprogrammed Friends.. Some Programmed Friends do practice silent worship and some don't. All Programmed friends have meetings that involved being lead by a pastor.Some other branches of Quakerism:
*Liberal Friends-Unprogrammed Worship. Some are non-Christians. Empathizes the authority of the Inward Light.
*Conservative Friends-Unprogrammed worship. Tries to conserve the way Quakerism was practice in the mid 19th century. Some practice plain speech or dress.
*Pastoral Friends-Programmed worship. These guys empathize the importance of the scripture. They are involved in ministry.
*Evangelical Friends- Programmed Worship.Strong importance on scripture. More likely to call their gatherings a church then a meeting. Also are Evangelical Christians.
*Convergent Friends-A renewal movement growing across all types of friends.Info on it here: What Canst Thou Say?: Robinopedia: Convergent Friends
Silent worship is where Friends gather in silent expectant waiting for leading from the Spirit. You are allowed to if lead by the Spirit to speak or to sing. Other then that you are silent and waiting for guidance.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Why you don't believe that Jesus is the only way to save? For because Holy Spirit is testify about Jesus and also He is the only the way and the truth?
to believe someone doesn't require idolization; which is forbidden by the whole bible.

I AM is the WAY no one comes to the father except through the infinite I, or 1st person.

Ephesians 4:6
One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

John 14:20
At that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
A belief that their is a little bit of that of God in everyone called the Inner Light.For some Quakers the Inner light may be different but the belief that it is in everyone and can be directly experience and guide you is the same for all of them.A strong desire to follow and grow close to the Inner Light. Following SPICES: simplicity, peace, intergrity. compassion,equality,stewardship. For more on this see my response here:
christ is in all.

there is a ton of youtube videos by quakers for the inquiring.

VoidCat

I don't know of any discrimination against them except when their beliefs conflict with the law. For example some Quakers as part of the integrity value don't swear or make promises at all. They believe it to be against the Bible and/or they believe it to do so say there is a special times to tell the truth and they feel that is wrong for one should always tell the truth.In court however they have been known in the past for refusing to swear an oath and have in the past been arrested for it. Currently in most countries there have been exceptions made for Quaker regarding this

When has this happened?
There I edited it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Here are some sources I'm editing the post to say in the past have been arrested for refusing to swear an oath...That would be better wording...:
Affirmation in law - Wikipedia
Quakers and the Law
I've done the affirmation thingie in court.
I have not, will not, nor ever will take a religious oath.
It's hard to say whether I've endured indirect sanction
or retaliation for this, but there's been nothing overt.

VoidCat

christ is in all.

there is a ton of youtube videos by quakers for the inquiring.

quakerspeak is a good resource through i will add some Quakers don't have all 9 of those core values.(I've watched the video in the past)...He describing most Christian Quakers through.

Call me name

I'm christian
to believe someone doesn't require idolization; which is forbidden by the whole bible.

I AM is the WAY no one comes to the father except through the infinite I, or 1st person.

Well I understand but we are not idolization Jesus. But we are thank Jesus, pray (speak) to Jesus through Holy Spirit.

Also this verse seems you missunderstand it

The I AM does reffers to Jesus. This verse just said that there is no way to saved from banished besides believe in Jesus Christ.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I don't see the difference between that and other abrahamic faiths outside of ways of practice and stewardship.

I was reading it is somewhat of an eclectic religion in defining what the light of god in each person means to the individual Quaker.

But, what makes one a Quaker and not another faith that has similar values with which you described in your posts?

Call me name

I'm christian

That verse is in john 14:6

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
quakerspeak is a good resource through i will add some Quakers don't have all 9 of those core values.(I've watched the video in the past)...He describing most Christian Quakers through.

yes, understandably. there are even some quakers who aren't pacifists. when it comes to christianity; which i'm not exclusive to, my belief system aligns most with quakerism. i would attend service but the closest meeting house is an hour away; which means a two hour trip that i could spend in contemplation alone.

Last edited:

VoidCat

I don't see the difference between that and other abrahamic faiths outside of ways of practice and stewardship.

I was reading it is somewhat of an eclectic religion in defining what the light of god in each person means to the individual Quaker.

But, what makes one a Quaker and not another faith that has similar values with which you described in your posts?
This might help: What Do Quakers Believe? | Quaker Information Center

VoidCat

yes, understandably. there are even some quakers who aren't pacifists. my belief system aligns most with quakerism. i would attend service but the closest meeting house is an hour away; which means a two hour trip that i could spend in contemplation alone.
All Quakers(to my knowledge) believe in peace but you are right not all are against war.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I am glad that you have never had to betray your beliefs by swearing a religious oath in court.
I don't believe it would be wrong for me to falsely swear a religious oath.
But I find it offensive...insulting...weak....to knuckle under to imperious
demands by The Man to feign something I don't believe, ie, a religion.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
That verse is in john 14:6

yes it is but he goes on to say in the same chapter, on that day you will know that the Way is through I AM, self.

20 At that day you will know that, I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you.

if you're looking to go through Jesus to get to the Father, then the WAY is through self to know the real Jesus and Father is to venture inward. Immersion, venturing into the Name, is the WAY. that name is at exodus 3:14

Last edited:

VoidCat

I don't believe it would be wrong for me to falsely swear a religious oath.
But I find it offensive...insulting...weak....to knuckle under to imperious
demands by The Man to feign something I don't believe, ie, a religion.
You posted this twice like I just did with one of the posts on here...And I find that that is a belief that should be respected.