• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask me anything about my religious beliefs

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Firstly did you find the scripture inspiring enough to give it due thought?
Beans are Beans, and Breads are Breads. You are asking me if it was inspiring enough to give it due thought.

I read the question, thinking about @Brickjectivity . I asked myself. What is Brick asking me, what does brick want to know about my beliefs? The mystery is relevance.

I didn't read the question and assume that this is a real scripture. I read the question and put myself in Brick's position. Based on what I now about Brick, I asked myself, what is Brick really asking me right now.

That's how I approached the question. So for me... it is inspiring because of all the factors involved.

OK.

Now from a different perspective.

I'm at the book store, and I'm looking at the shelves of used books. And here's a book of scripture in the religious section. And it says: "Beans are Beans and Breads are Breads" on the cover.

Based on the title alone, I would completely skip it. Beans? Breads? The statement resembles A=A and B=B in my mind. There's lots of weird scripture out there. So, I would just skip that one.

But, if it is worn, and looks like the book has had many owners or an interesting life of it's own... I might pick it up and flip thru the pages.
If it sparked an interest, would you ask as to what was the source of that advice?
Would I ask the source?

Understand, that I am doing the same thing for your question ans I did with Brick's. I am thinking about you, Tony. What do I know about you, and what are you asking me? What do you want to know?

I am seeking the spirit of your question....

If I answer the spirit of your question, the answer is no. The source is not important to me. #1 priority, is it practical. #2 priority, does it add evidence to a theory I have in my own spiritual beliefs, #3 does it cause me to think and add anything new to my beliefs. maybe a distant 4th, is what is the source.

But back to the simple book store analogy: I don't care 1 tiny iota about the source.
If you were given the source, would you inquire as to the validity of that source?

If the message of the scripture is useful, then the validity of the source is not important. The source could be a dream, and epiphany, or the result of a life long spiritual pursuit. I do not care at all.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Dang. He is Batman.
Nope... Mr. Mom.

upload_2019-6-28_14-47-52.jpeg

upload_2019-6-28_14-48-2.jpeg

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
OMG, I was just thinking that!
Its like you gave me your thoughts which leads to the next question.

Have you had drug-free experiences which have made you question the consistency of day to day reality?

Secondly how much notification is reasonable, if someone were trying to let you know that you were not living in a consistent reality strictly following laws of Physics. Would they have to make your bicycle hover in the air, or would you notice a subtler hint? What would it take?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Have you had drug-free experiences which have made you question the consistency of day to day reality?
Like all the time man.

But seriously. yeah, I have. And I'm completely stone cold sober, straight-edge.

No drugs, virtually no alcohol.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Secondly how much notification is reasonable, if someone were trying to let you know that you were not living in a consistent reality strictly following laws of Physics. Would they have to make your bicycle hover in the air, or would you notice a subtler hint? What would it take?
I have to think about this. I'll report back.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
@dybmh How do you feel about the human capacity to "overthink" things?

It occurs to me that we take too much time imputing things to God without really knowing what motivates him or what his intentions were in putting us here on planet earth in the first place.

With the Creator as a timeless being, and we who are totally limited by it, shouldn't that in itself be a factor in our failure to understand our place in the big scheme of things? Because we misunderstand why we are limited in time, when God never intended us to be....we lose sight of his bigger picture. We want things to happen now, but its been thousands of years in the outworking of a detour in human experience that God never wanted to happen, but it did, and now we are close to the finish line of getting back to what we were suppose to enjoy in the beginning (according to my studies.)

Let me explain what I see as the main dilemma....please bear with me...

If God created humankind in his image and likeness, it was obviously for a reason. He assigned the humans to be caretakers of his creation. They alone were given his attributes so that they could care for things here the way he would. They were originally to be his representatives here on planet Earth. But in making them like himself, he had to give them free will so that decisions could be made on the spot if circumstances warranted them.

God's name means "I Will Be What I Will Be" (according to the Tanach)....meaning that he will be whatever he needs to be in any given circumstance in order to accomplish his will and purpose. (Isaiah 55:11) (BTW His name never meant "I Am")

As a consequence of this faculty, (free will) there had to be rules in place for its exercise. Hence the command concerning the TKGE. God placed the decision about what was good and what was evil in his own jurisdiction because abusing free will could lead to catastrophe. Placing that knowledge behind a severe penalty should have been enough to dissuade any disobedience because nothing the Creator did was ever sinister or harmful in its nature. He was a loving Father who only wanted the best for his 'children'.

Enter a jealous spirit creature who became God's adversary (also free willed) and who by lying, caused the woman to "overthink" that simple command. It got her to believing that there was a sinister motive in it....so she was led to break it. She influenced her husband to break it too, making him an accomplice and both would have to suffer the stated penalty. Why? because they were without defect, so they did not make a mistake...they made a choice, and all choices have consequences. We have been living in the consequences that resulted from their actions, ever since. There is so much more, but I too can write volumes...:D

Suffice it to say, we humans were designed by God to be educated, gradually building our knowledge base as time went on to accomplish more and more and to advance more and more as our intellect was stimulated to explore this amazing planet and its study its creatures and their environment.

Our capacity now to "overthink" everything does us no good it seems. The more intelligent we become, the less inclined we are to suffer being told what to do....even by God (for those who still believe in him) God's identity has been so skewed by all these different 'overthinkers' that its nigh on impossible to find the proverbial diamond in the pile of broken glass. :(

The one thing that comforts me is that God himself doesn't require overthinking. He is what he is, and we can't make him into something that suits us....it is we who have to make ourselves into something that is acceptable to him. Most people just don't get that.

It is he who also "draws" us to his truth...granting an understanding of it, (John 6:44; 65) which I believe conversely that God can also repel those in whom finds no redeeming qualities. IOW, He himself keep the 'riff-raff' out....choosing the citizens of his Kingdom by allowing them to be caught in the act of being themselves.

Sorry for the novel, but my passion gets in the way a lot of the time. I am no good at one liners. :oops:

Does any of that make sense? :shrug:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Moi???? :D:p:D It's like yer reading mah'mind bro...:cool:

I always overthink things. Like always. Like right now... I'm always thinking.

With the Creator as a timeless being, and we who are totally limited by it, shouldn't that in itself be a factor in our failure to understand our place in the big scheme of things?
Agreed.
Because we misunderstand why we are limited in time, when God never intended us to be....we lose sight of his bigger picture. We want things to happen now, but its been thousands of years in the outworking of a detour in human experience that God never wanted to happen, but it did, and now we are close to the finish line of getting back to what we were suppose to enjoy in the beginning (according to my studies.)
OK, I was with you, but my brain got in the way when you said, "God never wanted..." You know why I got stuck there... i won't dwell on it. I'm continuing to read....

If God created humankind in his image and likeness, it was obviously for a reason. He assigned the humans to be caretakers of his creation. They alone were given his attributes so that they could care for things here the way he would. They were originally to be his representatives here on planet Earth. But in making them like himself, he had to give them free will so that decisions could be made on the spot if circumstances warranted them.

OK, this whole paragraph is a condition for the substance of your message. Because of the way my brain works, it got hung up a few times... but I'm going to ignore it, and keep going...

God's name means "I Will Be What I Will Be" (according to the Tanach)....meaning that he will be whatever he needs to be in any given circumstance in order to accomplish his will and purpose. (Isaiah 55:11) (BTW His name never meant "I Am")
I do not disagree, not yet... continuing to read...
As a consequence of this faculty, (free will) there had to be rules in place for its exercise. Hence the command concerning the TKGE. God placed the decision about what was good and what was evil in his own jurisdiction because abusing free will could lead to catastrophe. Placing that knowledge behind a severe penalty should have been enough to dissuade any disobedience because nothing the Creator did was ever sinister or harmful in its nature. He was a loving Father who only wanted the best for his 'children'.
getting into hazy territory for me. ... but I'm going to continue reading...
Enter a jealous spirit creature who became God's adversary (also free willed) and who by lying, caused the woman to "overthink" that simple command. It got her to believing that there was a sinister motive in it....so she was led to break it. She influenced her husband to break it too, making him an accomplice and both would have to suffer the stated penalty. Why? because they were without defect, so they did not make a mistake...they made a choice, and all choices have consequences. We have been living in the consequences that resulted from their actions, ever since. There is so much more, but I too can write volumes...:D
I'm listening to the story... cautiously optimistic that the punchline of your reply is going to be something we can both agree on...
Our capacity now to "overthink" everything does us no good it seems. The more intelligent we become, the less inclined we are to suffer being told what to do....even by God (for those who still believe in him) God's identity has been so skewed by all these different 'overthinkers' that its nigh on impossible to find the proverbial diamond in the pile of broken glass. :(
Uh-oh... :) I understand what you're saying, but... well.... uuuuh.... ( I don't need to share my objections. I'm enjoying that you are sharing this with me.)
It is he who also "draws" us to his truth...granting an understanding of it, (John 6:44; 65) which I believe conversely that God can also repel those in whom finds no redeeming qualities. IOW, He himself keep the 'riff-raff' out....choosing the citizens of his Kingdom by allowing them to be caught in the act of being themselves.
OK, I understand what you are saying. But I am not built in a manner where what you are saying fits into my heart-places. I understand the concept.

Sorry for the novel, but my passion gets in the way a lot of the time. I am no good at one liners. :oops:
No apologies, I like you. One thing I feel confident about you. Is, your words and your intention is not about self-gratification. It is not indulgent. It is for me, for us, for people, for everyone. You, IMHO, are speaking to me, as a public service.
yes, it makes perfect sense, I understand what you are saying. And there is nothing wrong or bad with it.

but,

it's not my story of service to God. Not in this life.

If what you are saying is true.

I am OK being left behind.

I'm OK with it.

Last edited:

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Uh-oh... :) I understand what you're saying, but... well.... uuuuh.... ( I don't need to share my objections. I'm enjoying that you are sharing this with me.)

Please share your objections...I am learning new things all the time about why people believe as they do. It helps me understand.

OK, I understand what you are saying. But I am not built in a manner where what you are saying fits into my heart-places. I understand the concept.

So are you saying that these things do not resonate with you at all? In what 'manner' are you 'built' then?
What are you seeking? A 'box' to fit the Creator in? Does such a box exist?

No apologies, I like you. One thing I feel confident about you. Is, your words and your intention is not about self-gratification. It is not indulgent. It is for me, for us, for people, for everyone. You, IMHO, are speaking to me, as a public service.

Thank you, its nice not to be misunderstood. I see myself as just a messenger, so whether I am heard or not, I have still fulfilled my obligation to my Creator whose will it is that all be saved (2 Peter 3:9).....but because God forces no one to even believe in him, we can do nothing but sow the seed....if it germinates, it has nothing to do with the sower. (1 Corinthians 3:6-7) "God makes it grow".

yes, it makes perfect sense, I understand what you are saying. And there is nothing wrong or bad with it.

but,

it's not my story of service to God. Not in this life.

If what you are saying is true.

I am OK being left behind.

I'm OK with it.

What do you imagine "left behind" means? As far as I know, scripturally, there are none who are "left behind". We either inherit the promises because we have proven that the devil is a liar....or we inherit nothing. We either accept God on his terms....or we don't accept him at all and try to chase after other gods.

Scripturally speaking, there is just life and death. (Deuteronomy 30:19-20) God says to choose life because who would choose the alternative? Is what God is offering so repulsive so as to not even bear consideration?

If you understand what God offered to mankind in the beginning....unending life in paradise conditions on earth (not in heaven) then he will take us back there because his purpose will not go unfulfilled. (Isaiah 55:11) But it will go ahead with us or without us....we choose our own destiny by our own choices. How could God be fairer than that? He doesn't really have to judge us.....we either judge and convict ourselves...or we are free to walk out of this prison we call life at present. (Revelation 21:2-4) The future will be all that we could have hoped for and more.....why throw it away? Why are you OK with it?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)

It occurs to me that we take too much time imputing things to God without really knowing what motivates him or what his intentions were in putting us here on planet earth in the first place.

With the Creator as a timeless being, and we who are totally limited by it, shouldn't that in itself be a factor in our failure to understand our place in the big scheme of things? Because we misunderstand why we are limited in time, when God never intended us to be....we lose sight of his bigger picture. We want things to happen now, but its been thousands of years in the outworking of a detour in human experience that God never wanted to happen, but it did, and now we are close to the finish line of getting back to what we were suppose to enjoy in the beginning (according to my studies.)

Let me explain what I see as the main dilemma....please bear with me...

Suffice it to say, we humans were designed by God to be educated, gradually building our knowledge base as time went on to accomplish more and more and to advance more and more as our intellect was stimulated to explore this amazing planet and its study its creatures and their environment.

The one thing that comforts me is that God himself doesn't require overthinking. He is what he is, and we can't make him into something that suits us....it is we who have to make ourselves into something that is acceptable to him. Most people just don't get that.

Yes, it does. :)

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Yes, it does. :)

Thank you....was there anything there that you found hard to understand? I say too much, (its a fault of mine) but its hard to condense the truth down to a few words. The interesting things to me are in the detail. ;)

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Please share your objections...I am learning new things all the time about why people believe as they do. It helps me understand.
OK, well.

Here's what you said:

"Our capacity now to "overthink" everything does us no good it seems. The more intelligent we become, the less inclined we are to suffer being told what to do....even by God (for those who still believe in him) God's identity has been so skewed by all these different 'overthinkers' that its nigh on impossible to find the proverbial diamond in the pile of broken glass. :("

Maybe the word objection is not a good word. The reason I use it, is because when I read the paragraph above, my brain stops on two parts. It stops on "being told what to do" and it stops on "God's Identity".

Being told what to do is not a problem, for making a peanut butter jelly sandwich. Ya know, it's just a sandwich. It needs bread, and peanut butter, and jelly. Done.

But that's not how I view life, it's a lot more than making a sandwich.

Here's another problem I have with "being told what to do". Sometimes, it makes matters worse. Sometimes it's best to relax and go with the flow.

Regarding God's identity, because I believe that everything is God, a name is just a name.
So are you saying that these things do not resonate with you at all? In what 'manner' are you 'built' then?
What are you seeking? A 'box' to fit the Creator in? Does such a box exist?

I think the best way to answer all of these is to skip to the last question and only answer it.

I am not seeking anything.

What do you imagine "left behind" means? As far as I know, scripturally, there are none who are "left behind". We either inherit the promises because we have proven that the devil is a liar....or we inherit nothing. We either accept God on his terms....or we don't accept him at all and try to chase after other gods.
When I said left behind, I was speaking about the "Kingdom" I hear about. I was speaking about it as if it is a real place and ignoring the metaphor.

But using the word 'inherit'. I do not need any inheritance. I am happy with what I have now. It's enough. I'm grateful for all of this. I could die today perfectly happy. It's not that I don't have regrets. I would do so so many things differently. But, I don't need or want anything more.
Scripturally speaking, there is just life and death. (Deuteronomy 30:19-20) God says to choose life because who would choose the alternative? Is what God is offering so repulsive so as to not even bear consideration?
It's not repulsive, my friend. I believe that everyone is different. What brings life to you, could be deadly to me. I know that this is contrary to your beliefs, and I'm sorry to put it so bluntly.

It's like sunlight. No matter how hard I try I will never be able to photosynthesize sunlight. I just can't. There's nothing wrong with me because I can't. But it's just a matter of how I am made. there's nothing wrong with you because you can synthesize sunlight.

I can go out in the sun and I get tan and I never burn. My wife, burns instantly in the sun. It's like that.

Maybe you can go to God and it doesn't burn you up. But for me, for what ever reason. I need to stay closer to the earthly matters. Taking care of people, making them happy. Figuring out what they like to eat. And making it for them. Making people feel accepted, and loved, and safe. That's what i can do. Doing more than that, for what ever reason, I get burned, like, right away. Like getting a sunburn, but in my heart.
If you understand what God offered to mankind in the beginning....unending life in paradise conditions on earth (not in heaven) then he will take us back there because his purpose will not go unfulfilled. (Isaiah 55:11) But it will go ahead with us or without us....
This is the part where I say, I'm OK being left behind. The paradise, I'm OK with missing out on paradise. I am happy now, here. And as long as I can make other people happy. And do a little bit of good consistently each day. That works best for me.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I already believe that we are not living in a consistent reality strictly following laws of Physics.

But each individual claim of inconsistency would have different metrics.

Examples:

If someone says, I'm a little psychic. I am open to that, maybe they are.

If someone says, I spoke to God, and I know the truth. I am pretty skeptical of that.

I honestly don't think anyone can fly or levitate bicycles. I would need to see that for myself.