• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask me anything about my religious beliefs

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Do you feel "God" needs to be part of your belief and if so why?
Yes, my belief in God means that everyone is made of the same 'stuff'. All of creation is one interconnected family. ( Well, that's how I feel, at least. )

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
How do you describe Panentheism?
In simplest terms, God is Brahman ( The Hindu concept of the ultimate source of creation ). All of creation is God; but, God is not limited to creation.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Feel free to ask me anything about my religious beliefs.
Do you have empathy for people in the future who will be born after you are no longer around? Why worry about them when they have done nothing for you?

Why do you believe in diversity? Why not uniform thinking instead?

If I had an ancient scripture which advised "Let your beans be beans and your breads be breads" would you find value in it? What is the best interpretation of the advice in such a scripture:
  • A person should either eat beans or eat bread and once they have eaten a bean they should never eat bread thereafter
  • Never mix bean dough with bread dough
  • Don't eat beans and bread at the same meal
  • Don't call beans bread and don't call bread beans
  • People who eat beans must not marry people who eat bread
  • Never speak of both bread and beans in the same conversation
  • It means all things must be divided into either bean or bread related categories
  • Something else (what?)

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Do you believe in God or gods? If so do you believe that he/they are;
1. Angry
2. Kind
3. Indifferent
I am going to answer literally and briefly. Please ask for more info if needed

"Do I believe in God or gods?" Yes.

"If so are they: Angry, Kind, Indifferent?" Yes.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
@Brickjectivity

A brilliant set of questions, honestly. I could riff on those questions for days.

Please forgive me for breaking up the questions, and potentially answering them out of order.

If I am too brief, I invite you, please ask follow-up questions? Or call me out for apparent contradictions? I am at your service. And

I trust you.

You are welcome to be, funny, blunt, insidious, sharp, in any and all of your replies to me now and in the future. I mean that sincerely.

Why do you believe in diversity? Why not uniform thinking instead?

Here is the simplest answer, and then I will provide quotes and links that I find to be descriptive of where my head is at on "diversity" and why I believe in it.

Why diversity? It encourages resiliency and flexibility.
Why not uniformity? Monsanto... know what I mean?

"Organisms face a succession of environmental challenges as they grow, and show adaptive plasticity as traits develop in response to the imposed conditions. This gives them resilience to varying environments."

Adaptation - Wikipedia

"Process philosophy — also ontology of becoming, processism, or philosophy of organism — identifies metaphysical reality with change. In opposition to the classical model of change as illusory (as argued by Parmenides) or accidental (as argued by Aristotle), process philosophy regards change as the cornerstone of reality—the cornerstone of being thought of as becoming."

Process philosophy - Wikipedia

Note the keywords: Adaptive, Organic. Then look at how I describe my beliefs below:

When asked to describe my beliefs, I choose to describe them as adaptive, organic, and in flux.

I will continue to answer your questions in another reply.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Do you have empathy for people in the future who will be born after you are no longer around? Why worry about them when they have done nothing for you?

"Do I have empathy for people in the future?" yes.

"Why worry about them when they have done nothing for you?" Are you serious? I feel like the answer is obvious. But if you want details, please ask?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Are there any ways in which your religious beliefs have changed over time? Any conversion/deconversion/reconversion etc? Or have you always had the same basic paradigm?
Great question!

OMG!

"Are there any ways in which your religious beliefs have changed over time? "

Yes.

I just typed so many words, multiple paragraphs and deleted it ALL.

HAH! too many words.

-------------------------------

I Just did it again... I started typing and it turned into an essay, and I deleted everything.

OK...

simple answer:

No... no conversion, re-conversion, nothing like that.

Same basic paradigm? That is the part is what has rendered all the verbosity. No. not the same basic paradigm, but also no conversions.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
If I had an ancient scripture which advised "Let your beans be beans and your breads be breads" would you find value in it?

Hmmmmm

I am thinking.

It sounds really simple and obvious, and yet, that makes me feel like there is more to it.

Because of this: You asked: "Would I find value in it?" Yes, because it is mysterious. :)
What is the best interpretation of the advice in such a scripture:
  • A person should either eat beans or eat bread and once they have eaten a bean they should never eat bread thereafter
  • Never mix bean dough with bread dough
  • Don't eat beans and bread at the same meal
  • Don't call beans bread and don't call bread beans
  • People who eat beans must not marry people who eat bread
  • Never speak of both bread and beans in the same conversation
  • It means all things must be divided into either bean or bread related categories
  • Something else (what?)

"What is the best interpretation of the advice in such a scripture?"

well... the first gut response I have is, "I don't know" lack of data.

I am still trying to figure out the ramifications of the scriptural message "Let your beans be beans and your breads be breads".

This is my flaw. My brain... :confused::confused::confused: ... is my biggest flaw ( and asset ).

But in this case, I am stuck. I can't get past the first question and move forward to answer the next.

Maybe that in itself is enough of an answer? :oops:o_O:rolleyes:

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If I had an ancient scripture which advised "Let your beans be beans and your breads be breads" would you find value in it? What is the best interpretation of the advice in such a scripture:

But in this case, I am stuck. I can't get past the first question and move forward to answer the next.

My questions to you resulting from the question asked and your answer, are these.

Firstly did you find the scripture inspiring enough to give it due thought?

If it sparked an interest, would you ask as to what was the source of that advice?

If you were given the source, would you enquire as to the validity of that source?

Regards Tony

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Don't take this the wrong way, but whichever religious path you decide... I still have my suspicions you dress up like Batman at night and live a double-life.
That avatar picture of his sort of does resemble a younger Michael Keaton.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
That avatar picture of his sort of does resemble a younger Michael Keaton.

65725.jpg

Keaton.jpg

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, my belief in God means that everyone is made of the same 'stuff'. All of creation is one interconnected family. ( Well, that's how I feel, at least. )
OK. So you do believe in the biblical God. Somebody else mentioned we both shared that belief. I was not posting too seriously and was more focused on your views about cheese.