• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask Anything about Me or my Religion (Restored Gospel/Mormonism).

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
No.

Religious clothing worn by LDS Christians is clothing, nothing magical about it. It's purpose is to help that person remember the promises they made with God. Speaking personally, I actually like the fact that this clothing is worn under your "normal" outer clothes-- it's a private thing, not one I wave around boasting "look how righteous I am!".

I kinda think the concept is neat.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Is that true that you have magic underwear protecting you from bullets, atomic bombs, and all that?

Ciao

- viole
In my Hinduism my "underwear (God-wear)" indeed protects me from esp. your atomic bombs. But it needs the "God-wear" of "Total Surrender". Even Covid protection is included with this "underwear".

This insurance is the full package and even free of $$$ charge. Total protection.

Baroodi

I have noticed there are recent posts about Mormonism written by non-members.

Most information shared has misrepresented our actual beliefs

If you really want to know source beliefs from an active Elder of the Church who served a two-year mission in Russia and lives in Utah. I'm all ears. I can answer as much as I have knowledge of about the History of the Church, its doctrine, and the political, cultural, and social environment within highly concentrated LDS populations. (Utah, Idaho, North America, South America)

If you know everything about the Church already, I'm impressed and would like to hear something you think I haven't heard before about my Church so I can confirm if I had heard it before or not.

Oh and if you just have questions about me and why I personally am a member, I will try to answer that as well to the best of my knowledge.

Prohibition of Alcohol, no sex before marriage, decent women dress, cordial connection with people and specially with relatives among many other good values are shared between between LDS and Islam at the level of social life. These are part of the real teachings of Jesus which were abandoned by so many Christians of today. Of course at the level of creed, there is total difference

Neuropteron

If you really want to know source beliefs from an active Elder of the Church who served a two-year mission in Russia and lives in Utah. I'm all ears. I can answer as much as I have knowledge of about the History of the Church, its doctrine, and the political, cultural, and social environment within highly concentrated LDS populations. (Utah, Idaho, North America, South America)

If you know everything about the Church already, I'm impressed and would like to hear something you think I haven't heard before about my Church so I can confirm if I had heard it before or not.

Oh and if you just have questions about me and why I personally am a member, I will try to answer that as well to the best of my knowledge.

Hi,

Is it true that the tablet revealed to Joseph Smith were hidden/taken back and not shown publicly?

If so why, and how can we ascertain the truthfullness of the claim that they actually existed ?

In comparison the stone tablets given to Moses were made public for all to see and kept in the temple.

Jane.Doe

Hi,

Is it true that the tablet revealed to Joseph Smith were hidden/taken back and not shown publicly?

If so why, and how can we ascertain the truthfullness of the claim that they actually existed ?

In comparison the stone tablets given to Moses were made public for all to see and kept in the temple.
There are statements of those that saw the plates: Witnesses of the Book of Mormon

But to be honest, I'm not particularly interested in the statements of men. Rather my focus listening to God's witness directly.

Jacob Samuelson

I am not anti-Christian. But I hold Joseph Smith to be a liar. He wanted to create a new Old Testament
in place of the new covenant given to us in the Gospels.
Should any group from the Old World, Bronze or Iron Age, have made it to the New World then their
technologies would have SPREAD. Imagine the native Americans, especially the Aztecs, learning of
iron smelting then the Aztecs would have had a far superior weapon to the wood sticks with obsidian
blades glued to them.
The Book of Mormon answers why technology didnt spread after 600 AD. The conquering Lamanites were an idolatrous lazy people. They were naked with the exception of a loin cloth. They took from others for their own living like the scavengers on Tatooine. They weren't industrious as the Nephites. When the Nephites were killed so was the spread of the Technology. What was a Lamanite going to do with a broken or rusty sword? They would just throw it away. They didnt know how to replicate armor or weaponry like the Nephites, and with the absence of a central enemy there wasnt a need to. Most Native Americans were gatherers harvesters and hunters with only a small few war promoting. So there wasnt need for R&D in the war aspect.
When you refer to the New Covenant, are you referring to Peter's revelation to preach the Gospel to every nation, Jew and Gentile, Baptising them unto repentance? Or are you referring to the covenant that Jesus fulfilled all righteousness so we dont have to? Joseph Smith was met with so many ideologies of the Bible and he was willing to pick whichever God told Him to pick. It would have saved Joseph his life and so much trouble if God just said they were all good so it doesn't matter which you picked. He probably would have been the best missionary any Christian Church could ask for and still be written in the History Books of Religion and politics. But alas, God didnt will Joseph to chose what Joseph wanted. He willed what God wanted. I hold belief to that true will of God just as strongly as any prophet that is written in the Bible, despite the retribution it has caused for Joseph and other members in current and past centuries

Jacob Samuelson

Is that true that you have magic underwear protecting you from bullets, atomic bombs, and all that?

Ciao

- viole
No. Our garments are akin to a garb worn by monasterial monks who have taken a vow of humility and removal of worldly possession. In our case, the underwear we wear is for spiritual awareness of the covenants we have made in God's temple and to never forget them and keep them sacred. God has given a promise to those that respect the garment and covenant, it would be a shield against evil and temptations (no mention of nuclear warfare, although if it did I would hope everyone gets a pair just in case). The closest Christian practice of this physical manifestation of covenants is partaking of the sacrament. While the bread and wine symbolize the flesh and blood of Jesus Christ. The garment symbolizes the clothing of skins given to Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden in Genesis 3, to protect and remind them of the Love God has for us since the very beginning up to the Love He had for us giving up His Son.

Jacob Samuelson

Do LDS members believe in a hell place of eternal torment?
edit: @janedoe interpreted this question a bit differently than I did. I completely agree with her answer, yet am referring to the eternal state mentioned in your question rather than the temporary state of spirit prison that she was referring to which is an entire other layer in itself that I skipped mentioning. (My Answer ahead) Absolutely. Our terminology uses the word Outer Darkness to specify the type of hell you are referring to. People claim they exist in hell on earth without even having to die, because of the misery that unfortunately many experiences given their life circumstances. I agree with them. However, in a postmortem judgement, God who knows all and sees all is best fit to determine which of His creations have merit for Outer Darkness. In my interpretation, Outer Darkness is the estate for any spirit or soul that has whole-heartedly and in perfect conscience refused any source of light in their lives. We look to Lucifer to illustrate. Lucifer was an angel that was in the presence of Light, the Son of the Morning. He understood completely the brilliance of God and his wisdom in a plan to offer free-will to his creations as was a universal law, yet Lucifer believed He could change the laws and still come out on top, literally. He wanted the glory for Himself without acknowledging what it would do for any other of Gods creations. When his plan was rejected, He then rejected God and fled to Earth, never to achieve any further knowledge or truth, but became the Father of Lies and Deceptions. There was no redemption made for Satan as he was later called. Outer Darkness perhaps could be anywhere in time/space therefore I don't think of it as a place more than an estate of spiritual awareness of those that are so stuck in their ways, they reject the very essence of truth though it shines like the sun before their very eyes. Another character that shares this attribute would have been Judas Iscariot. He followed the exact same pattern of Lucifer, where he thought he could change the Plan by betraying Jesus. When what he attempted to do (provoke divine interference toward the Roman oppressors). was rejected he hung himself completely denying the Spirit of Christ's and God's mission.

Last edited:

Jane.Doe

Absolutely. Our terminology uses the word Outer Darkness to specify the type of hell you are referring to. People claim they exist in hell on earth without even having to die, because of the misery that unfortunately many experiences given their life circumstances. I agree with them. However, in a postmortem judgement, God who knows all and sees all is best fit to determine which of His creations have merit for Outer Darkness. In my interpretation, Outer Darkness is the estate for any spirit or soul that has whole-heartedly and in perfect conscience refused any source of light in their lives. We look to Lucifer to illustrate. Lucifer was an angel that was in the presence of Light, the Son of the Morning. He understood completely the brilliance of God and his wisdom in a plan to offer free-will to his creations as was a universal law, yet Lucifer believed He could change the laws and still come out on top, literally. He wanted the glory for Himself without acknowledging what it would do for any other of Gods creations. When his plan was rejected, He then rejected God and fled to Earth, never to achieve any further knowledge or truth, but became the Father of Lies and Deceptions. There was no redemption made for Satan as he was later called. Outer Darkness perhaps could be anywhere in time/space therefore I don't think of it as a place more than an estate of spiritual awareness of those that are so stuck in their ways, they reject the very essence of truth though it shines like the sun before their very eyes. Another character that shares this attribute would have been Judas Iscariot. He followed the exact same pattern of Lucifer, where he thought he could change the Plan by betraying Jesus. When what he attempted to do (provoke divine interference toward the Roman oppressors). was rejected he hung himself completely denying the Spirit of Christ's and God's mission.
Out darkness isn’t really the equivalent to the Protestant view of Hell.

Jacob Samuelson

Out darkness isn’t really the equivalent to the Protestant view of Hell.
Understood @Jane.Doe! I didn't see which faith the person was asking from so I generalized based on the question itself. Eternal Torment is the natural consequence of Outer Darkness, because it is the antithesis of the purpose of our creation which undoubtedly causes a soul torment. I think of the look of Anakin Skywalkers face when he say I Hate you to Obiwan of the torment that exist in his heart with that statement.

Jacob Samuelson

Hi...... Do you accept the gospels first, or some book or message above them?
I don't believe in a hierarchy of God's word. It would be like asking do I accept the Fourth Harry Potter Book over the First One. You need all books to create a narrative. If JK Rowling produces a Sequel Book, I would be grateful and not so invested in her older works to reject reading more of her, and that is just from a worldly perspective. Even more am I with God's Word. I'm a fan of God, if He decides to give me new-old scripture, you best believe I would camp out for years to be the first in line. Our current prophets fulfill most of that excitement in me as well every General Conference.

Jacob Samuelson

Prohibition of Alcohol, no sex before marriage, decent women dress, cordial connection with people and specially with relatives among many other good values are shared between between LDS and Islam at the level of social life. These are part of the real teachings of Jesus which were abandoned by so many Christians of today. Of course at the level of creed, there is total difference
In many ways, I think Joseph Smith would have been an ideal Muslim. He completely submitted to Allah even when everyone around him was not. He was commanded to repair the Injeel of how it was supposed to be. Muhammed had a similar task but for the Quran. I think the parallels are astounding which make me feel Muhammed very well could have been the prophet sent to the Arab nation, broken off from Abraham through the line of Ishmael.

Jacob Samuelson

Too bad this isn’t a debate forum.

Are you interested in a debate?
I find there really is nothing good that comes from debates. I don't mean to be rude to politicians, If there was once something good about debates, they have really squeezed the life out of it. Plus, in written median I think any answer has already been published so I wouldn't be presenting new information just as you wouldn't be given me what has already been discussed about the subject of my religion. If there is something new you think I haven't heard, I welcome to place it on the table, but to debate about whether what I believe is what I believe has never been a positive experience for me.

InChrist

Free4ever

Thank you for answering questions concerning The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Is Jesus’ death on the cross as the payment for the sins of the world and His victory over death and resurrection to life sufficient to save one who believes and trusts Him as their Savior for eternal life?
According to LDS church doctrine, is Jesus Christ enough?

Jacob Samuelson

Hi,

The Gold Plates that were dug up from Joseph Smith were to be hidden from any person. Only a handful of witnesses were allowed to view the plates with their own eyes and their unified testimony is recorded in the front of the Book of Mormon.

We can ascertain the truthfulness of the claim the same way we can ascertain the truthfulness of Bible. While we have more physical evidence of the Bible than the Book of Mormon, we still, after almost 2000 years, cannot confirm how accurate to the original source the authors of the Bible were writing. The scrolls for the New Testament that we have are at best about 50 years apart from when they occurred. Play a game of telephone for 50 years and see how the message turns out. For many events in the Old Testament they are well over 1000 years difference. This makes the claims very difficult to accept as fact or legend from a historical point of view. Even recent studies have found reason to believe whether the women caught in adultery actually happened or not John 7:53-8:11 - The Woman Caught in Adultery: Is it Authentic? - Reading Acts More information and study brings out more physical truths.

In Defense, the Book of Mormon is a relative newcomer to historical scrutiny. I think in time, most if not all event outlined in the Book of Mormon will be discovered, just as I believe evidence showing Moses existed and the Exodus happened. It is only a matter of time.

For now, I think faith is the criteria God is looking for in mankind right now. Just as Christ died for 3 days causing doubt in many of His words He spoke about resurrection, the same is what God is evaluating about the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon's existence. Life is a test of whether to doubt or believe.

As for the Stone Tablets, Do we have them today? Where did they go? Even if they were seen publically, how can we be sure they even existed? Were they really written in God's handwriting?

Colt

edit: @janedoe interpreted this question a bit differently than I did. I completely agree with her answer, yet am referring to the eternal state mentioned in your question rather than the temporary state of spirit prison that she was referring to which is an entire other layer in itself that I skipped mentioning. (My Answer ahead) Absolutely. Our terminology uses the word Outer Darkness to specify the type of hell you are referring to. People claim they exist in hell on earth without even having to die, because of the misery that unfortunately many experiences given their life circumstances. I agree with them. However, in a postmortem judgement, God who knows all and sees all is best fit to determine which of His creations have merit for Outer Darkness. In my interpretation, Outer Darkness is the estate for any spirit or soul that has whole-heartedly and in perfect conscience refused any source of light in their lives. We look to Lucifer to illustrate. Lucifer was an angel that was in the presence of Light, the Son of the Morning. He understood completely the brilliance of God and his wisdom in a plan to offer free-will to his creations as was a universal law, yet Lucifer believed He could change the laws and still come out on top, literally. He wanted the glory for Himself without acknowledging what it would do for any other of Gods creations. When his plan was rejected, He then rejected God and fled to Earth, never to achieve any further knowledge or truth, but became the Father of Lies and Deceptions. There was no redemption made for Satan as he was later called. Outer Darkness perhaps could be anywhere in time/space therefore I don't think of it as a place more than an estate of spiritual awareness of those that are so stuck in their ways, they reject the very essence of truth though it shines like the sun before their very eyes. Another character that shares this attribute would have been Judas Iscariot. He followed the exact same pattern of Lucifer, where he thought he could change the Plan by betraying Jesus. When what he attempted to do (provoke divine interference toward the Roman oppressors). was rejected he hung himself completely denying the Spirit of Christ's and God's mission.
So LDS’s don’t believe in a final death, cessation of existence, annihilation?

Jacob Samuelson

Thank you for answering questions concerning The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Is Jesus’ death on the cross as the payment for the sins of the world and His victory over death and resurrection to life sufficient to save one who believes and trusts Him as their Savior for eternal life?
According to LDS church doctrine, is Jesus Christ enough?
This goes to a previous comment I mentioned only reverse about hell or not being saved. Being saved is a relative term in itself just as someone can say they live in hell on earth but not really referring to a place more to a state of misery they are experiencing, the same can be said for being saved. Jesus saved everyone from the sting of death by resurrection. Both good and evil souls will be resurrected. Acts 24:15. Christ paid for that. Now to be saved in your context I would imagine suggests to be completely free or saved from Sin. Jesus is 100% the only way to be saved from sin 2 Nephi 25:26, yet no one is free from sin, purely because there exists freedom to choose. Jesus Christ CAN through His atonement save you from sin, but ultimately it is your decision whether to accept His love and atonement for the rest of your life, and in so doing keep His commandments. in other words, this 'spiritual' save on your life is not given freely like the 'physical' save yet Christ is sufficient for both.
There are other 'saves' that exist as well to mention. The 'save' from ignorance, where God gives knowledge and light. the 'save' from personal weaknesses. where we will grow our own strengths. Jesus is sufficient for these as well, but they are also not freely given, only by obeying the precepts of the Laws and Ordnances of the Gospel.

Jacob Samuelson

So LDS’s don’t believe in a final death, cessation of existence, annihilation?
No. Even Satan will and has continued existing post his Judgement. This is why eternal torment is mentioned in the Bible. The wicked will continue existing yet never feel true joy, which in my mind is so much worse of a thought, but the Laws of Morality and the Universe must be adhered to. A payment must be made, redemption could not save them from paying that debt to those Laws.

Colt

No. Even Satan will and has continued existing post his Judgement. This is why eternal torment is mentioned in the Bible. The wicked will continue existing yet never feel true joy, which in my mind is so much worse of a thought, but the Laws of Morality and the Universe must be adhered to. A payment must be made, redemption could not save them from paying that debt to those Laws.
So both the saved and the unsaved are saved and resurrected? Do LDS’s believe in a heaven somewhere else or resurrection for everyone on earth? Just trying to envision the billions of rebellious souls who don’t want salvation sitting on their butts somewhere unhappily doing nothing for eternity.

Jacob Samuelson

I only have 1 question:
Do you believe that your Religion is the only way leading to "God" or do you believe that other Paths also lead to "God"

e.g.: Some people eat mainly bread, others eat mainly rice. Some eat vegan, others eat vegetarian or meat etc. But all live many years on it. So, there are many (food) paths all giving us the needed energy
I believe knowing, following, and believing in Jesus Christ is the only way to lead to God. Period. I will add, however, that if Jesus Christ is the map to God that doesn't mean people don't exist on it. I believe everything good is a testimony of Christ's teachings and therefore although different terminology is used Universe/God, Reincarnation/Spiritual Rebirth, Moral Compass/Holy Spirit. People can be really close to God, but will never have the X on the map that Jesus has put in His relation to God, which indicates His exact position.