• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask anything about Islam

exchemist

Veteran Member
Why do Muslims call Israel little Satan and the US the great Satan?
I think I can answer that: they don't. It is the muslim governments of certain countries that do that, for geopolitical reasons. It's nothing to do with islam.

After all, nobody asked why "Christians" used to speak of the USSR as an "evil empire".

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Ask any questions related to Islam
I have come to believe that it's impossible for Jews and Christians to debate scripture with Muslims because Muslims claim that the Tanach and the Christian Bible are full of man-made mistakes. Is this so?

exchemist

Veteran Member
I have come to believe that it's impossible for Jews and Christians to debate scripture with Muslims because Muslims claim that the Tanach and the Christian Bible are full of man-made mistakes. Is this so?
I should have thought that by that criterion it is also impossible to debate scripture with other Christians and Jews, too. I think most of them would agree there are man-made mistakes in the bible, at least in the sense of stories that can't be taken literally.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I should have thought that by that criterion it is also impossible to debate scripture with other Christians and Jews, too. I think most of them would agree there are man-made mistakes in the bible, at least in the sense of stories that can't be taken literally.
I'm pretty sure most Christians and all religious Jews agree that all parts of their accepted scripture (to each religion, their own) are infallible.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I'm pretty sure most Christians and all religious Jews agree that all parts of their accepted scripture (to each religion, their own) are infallible.
I suppose it depends what you mean by "infallible". If, for instance, you consider the accounts of creation and Noah's Flood, there is no mainstream Christian denomination, so far as I know, that takes all of those literally. They are considered to be written long ago by people who may have intended them literally, but which we now see as figurative or allegorical.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I suppose it depends what you mean by "infallible". If, for instance, you consider the accounts of creation and Noah's Flood, there is no mainstream Christian denomination, so far as I know, that takes all of those literally. They are considered to be written long ago by people who may have intended them literally, but which we now see as figurative or allegorical.
But Christians will still agree that the text is how it is meant to be, while Muslims, to my knowledge, though perhaps not specifically about the flood, will say that the text was mutilated by various people over the ages. Not the meaning, but the words themselves.

exchemist

Veteran Member
But Christians will still agree that the text is how it is meant to be, while Muslims, to my knowledge, though perhaps not specifically about the flood, will say that the text was mutilated by various people over the ages. Not the meaning, but the words themselves.
OK, I had not appreciated that subtlety. Though it does seem likely that texts evolve over time, especially if they are very ancient. In the case of the New Testament, there is the whole business of translation to consider, for a start. While "mutilation" may be a charged term, it is undeniable that, as there are many translations, these are bound to introduce different nuances at least.

But I don't know the specific nature of the muslim argument on this.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I think I can answer that: they don't. It is the muslim governments of certain countries that do that, for geopolitical reasons. It's nothing to do with islam.

After all, nobody asked why "Christians" used to speak of the USSR as an "evil empire".
But the government and the religion are one, so I'm not sure you can separate them.

So I don't think your answer deals with the question.