1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask any question about Christianity!

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Mark1615, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Buttons*

Buttons* Glass half Panda'd

Ratings:
    +1,263
    .... you think?

The fulfilled prophecies could be because Yeshua never existed, a make believe person can do anything you want them to do.

The Bible has nothing to do with science, and there shouldn't have to be proof for faith.

It's supernatural like any other religion, mythology, or belief system. There is nothing unique to Christianity. Most of the concepts preached in the NT were there before Yeshua was supposed to have been alive. There were mythological figures of Greece who performed many miracles that Yeshua was said to have performed, including a god-man who was crucified.

"The Jesus Mysteries" -- Timothy Freke & Peter Gandy

• Like Like x 1
  2. Buttons*

Ratings:
    +1,263
    that, in no way, shape, or form answered Halcyon's question

3. Buttons*

Ratings:
    +1,263
    That's nice, but that doesn't prove that he even ever existed, you take that upon faith.

Anyone can write, "God said" on a piece of paper, does that mean that God actually did? No. This is known as a "rhetorical question"

Those "prophecies" from Paul were written after all of the events happened. Check your dates. He could have simply written down what happened at Tyre and said that Yeshua predicted it. Paul never even met Yeshua, so how could he know what Yeshua said?

4. Buttons*

Ratings:
    +1,263
    Therefore, we have contradictory statements. Halcyon asked which one was more accurate, you have a habit of not answering the question asked.

5. Buttons*

Ratings:
    +1,263
    From the Gnostic stand point, death equates sleep, which means ignorance. To "raise someone from the dead" would be to wake them up from their ignorance into understanding/light/holy spirit. He is truly the Christ because Christ is a title, not a person's name. Christ is "the annointed" and therefore Yeshua is no more than an annointed, and knowledgable Jew who understood the mysteries. This made his actions eminate Silence's ultimate truth. Unfortunatley, men were too focused on Jewish law to see clearly what Yeshua told them, so he used parables.

The story of Yeshua and Miriam of Magdala is an allegory for enlightenment. Miriam is a parable for Sophia, and Yeshua for Seth. He never lived, pagan gods were used and transformed into what we now know as Jesus. Of course he can fit any prophecy if he's made up.

Gnostic Christianity pre-dates the time when Yeshua was said to have even been alive.

6. angellous_evangellous

Ratings:
    +0
    This is patently untrue.

There's a gap in your "logic" here. No one doubts that Plato and Aristotle are ancient documents because they are quoted by other ancients.

Isn't P46 the oldest at 150?

You forgot to mention that no two MSS of your 30k+ MSS are exactly the same. Therefore, your conclusions don't match your evidence. We don't know exactly what the original MSS said because we don't have them. All we have is best guess.

Welcome to fantasy land. There is no ancient writing outside of the NT that confirm his birth, death, ministry, and resurrection. There may be a hint of his existence.

Pliny mentions Christians, not Jesus. Josephus simply mentions that Christians believe that Jesus rose from the dead, but this source is dubious. Seutonius mentions rebellions incited by Chrestus - hardly confirmation of Christ's ministry. The Annals of Tacitus mention Christ? Where?

The rest of the post hardly deserves response.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ody

Ody Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279
    No one answered my question!!!!!!!!!

8. Buttons*

Ratings:
    +1,263
    Marks point was not valid, AE was just speaking his mind. That's completely rude and uncalled for to say that Christ is ashamed of anyone. AE is one of the better Christians in this place!

9. darkwaldo

darkwaldo Member

Ratings:
    +16
    How do you know Mary wasn't cheating on Joseph?
    If a woman today said she was a virgin while being pregnent or, that the child came from god, she would either have to be artificially incementated or lying.

10. James the Persian

James the Persian Dreptcredincios Crestin

Ratings:
    +656
    No, Gnosticism pre-dates Christ, the term Christianity wasn't coined until after the time of Christ and hence Gnostic Christianity can't possibly pre-date Him. Given that Gnosticism is more a group of related cults than an actual religion, each sharing a certain emphasis on gnosis, or enlightenment, and given that the Gnostic mystery cults were amazingly syncretistic, borrowing deities from whichever other religious traditions seemed appropriate at the time, the fact that a version of Gnosticism including Christian elements arose after Christ is not surprising but nor can it be said to constitute any evidence whatsoever either for or against the historical existance of Jesus Christ. In actual fact there was more than one Gnostic Christian cult in the early years of the Church, and some lasted until quite late, often with widely differing mythologies, moral values and doctrines. Gnostic Christianity (at least historically speaking, I'm still not clear on how unified neo-Gnostic beliefs are) is a catch all term for such groups rather than a religion per se, in much the same way as Protestantism is a catch all term for the western churches who broke away from Rome. In neither case does the catch all term give you much of an idea, in and of itself, as to what the group actually believes, though it does narrow the possibilities (a little).

James

11. michel

michel Administrator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,658
    Hi robosnail,
    As I notice that this is your first visit here, I thought I would take the opportunity to welcome you to Religious Forums;
    I hope that you would feel able to introduce yourself to the other members of the forum, by posting on:- Are you new to ReligiousForums.com?

Please feel free to ask questions, if you have any. You might like to check out our article with links for our newer members; from there, there is also a link to the forum rules which you ought to look at.

I hope you will enjoy being a member here. ;)

12. Mark1615

Mark1615 Member

Ratings:
    +8
    ;) Buttons...drinkin' the "Haterade?"

13. muslimbrother

muslimbrother Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I do not know much about other religions (outside my own), so I am here to just learn from you guys.

Questions: What is the difference between the New and Old Testament, and why did the Old Testament have to be changed.

(This question has probably been asked a million times but I still struggle understanding it)

Jesus never said "I am God, Worship Me." But yet he is considered God and is begin worshipped?

If anyone can answer those questions it will help me with my homework, lol

Thanks and Peace to all of you.

14. angellous_evangellous

Ratings:
    +0
    Being a Christian is no excuse to push basless propaganda that suppots your view.

15. angellous_evangellous

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Buttons.

16. Buttons*

Ratings:
    +1,263
    you're completely right, sorry for my mis-information. I was tired when i posted it, wasnt really thinking....
    :eek:

17. Buttons*

Ratings:
    +1,263
    No, i cant stand the taste of it *bleh*... *smiles*

18. angellous_evangellous

Ratings:
    +0
    ...but I have .... muwhahahahahahaha :149:

:biglaugh:

19. Ody