• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask any question about Christianity!

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Buttercup said:
Are God and Jesus one and the same person to the LDS?
No, we don't believe they are "one substance." We believe they are physically distinct from one another, but "one" in will, purpose, mind and heart. We believe both are divine and that they share the title, "God." We believe that Jesus Christ is literally the Son of God.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Oh I see.....hmmm, well that must be why the LDS differs from alot of other Protestant churches I suppose. I'm not being judgemental here....not at all. Just trying to figure out why some people don't see LDS as Christians. I imagine the reason why is because most Protestants & Catholics see Jesus, God and the Holy Spirit as one entity. Your definition sounds different.

Yet, your faith believes that you have to go thru Christ to get to God for salvation right?

Abram

Abraham
Katzpur said:
No, we don't believe they are "one substance." We believe they are physically distinct from one another, but "one" in will, purpose, mind and heart. We believe both are divine and that they share the title, "God." We believe that Jesus Christ is literally the Son of God.
Realy? I thought you thought differently. I like this (being that I wanted to be mormon) This was the one thing that kept me away. Please explain more as my ears are up and my interest is all on this. If this is the case you would be a Christian. I thought LDS vision was like the JW's.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Buttercup said:
Oh I see.....hmmm, well that must be why the LDS differs from alot of other Protestant churches I suppose. I'm not being judgemental here....not at all. Just trying to figure out why some people don't see LDS as Christians. I imagine the reason why is because most Protestants & Catholics see Jesus, God and the Holy Spirit as one entity. Your definition sounds different.
Yes, it is different.

Yet, your faith believes that you have to go thru Christ to get to God for salvation right?
Absolutely.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Abram said:
Realy? I thought you thought differently. I like this (being that I wanted to be mormon) This was the one thing that kept me away. Please explain more as my ears are up and my interest is all on this. If this is the case you would be a Christian. I thought LDS vision was like the JW's.
No, we are quite unlike the Jehovah's Witnesses in this regard. I hate to leave it at that, but I really don't want to sidetrack Mark's thread. Would you mind starting a new thread in which we can discuss this? Thanks! ;)

Abram

Abraham
Katzpur said:
No, we are quite unlike the Jehovah's Witnesses in this regard. I hate to leave it at that, but I really don't want to sidetrack Mark's thread. Would you mind starting a new thread in which we can discuss this? Thanks! ;)
Ask any question about Chritianity is the thread. I think anyone looking at this subject should know these things. I think this might be the perfect place for this. I don't want to compare JW and Mormons. I only care what and Who Christ is to you(LDS.)

So Christ in your view was not just a man, right? He was not God but one with God in his nature therefore making him a God?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Abram said:
Ask any question about Chritianity is the thread. I think anyone looking at this subject should know these things. I think this might be the perfect place for this. I don't want to compare JW and Mormons. I only care what and Who Christ is to you(LDS.)
Okay. If nobody minds, I'm fine discussing it here.

So Christ in your view was not just a man, right? He is not God but one with God in his nature therefore making him a God?
He was definitely not "just a man." He was not "God the Father," but He was and is divine and is part of the Godhead. His unity with His Father is almost incomprehensible to us. They are totally, absolutely, perfectly united in every conceivable way -- except physically. Jesus was with His Father in the beginning and created our universe under His Father's direction. He was "the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world." He is our mediator with the Father and the only means by which we may be reconciled to God. It is entirely appropriate to address Him as "God," although we generally are referring to God the Father when we use this title.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Well, that very expressive explanation sounds like they are one and the same basically....and the fact that you need to come to Christ for salvation with God. I don't understand the reason why some Christian denominations would not think your Jesus was the same.

Maybe the reason other denominations squawk is because of the Book of Mormon? Perhaps they see the Bible as they only necessary book. Do you pray to Joseph Smith?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Buttercup said:
Well, that very expressive explanation sounds like they are one and the same basically....and the fact that you need to come to Christ for salvation with God. I don't understand the reason why some Christian denominations would not think your Jesus was the same.
Me neither, to be perfectly honest.

Maybe the reason other denominations squawk is because of the Book of Mormon? Perhaps they see the Bible as they only necessary book.
I think that's a pretty big part of it. It's also hard for me to understand the problem people have with the Book of Mormon, though. Its subtitle is "Another Testament of Jesus Christ." In other words, it exists with the express purpose of acting as another witness to the divinity of Jesus Christ. It's a companion volume to the Bible. It doesn't supplant the Bible or contradict it.
Do you pray to Joseph Smith?
No, we pray to God, our Father in Heaven, and we do so in the name of His Son, Jesus Christ. We believe Joseph Smith to have been a prophet, like Moses, Abraham and the other Biblical prophets, but we don't see him as divine. We don't pray to him or worship him.

Abram

Abraham
Katzpur said:
Me neither, to be perfectly honest.

I think that's a pretty big part of it. It's also hard for me to understand the problem people have with the Book of Mormon, though. Its subtitle is "Another Testament of Jesus Christ." In other words, it exists with the express purpose of acting as another witness to the divinity of Jesus Christ. It's a companion volume to the Bible. It doesn't supplant the Bible or contradict it.
No, we pray to God, our Father in Heaven, and we do so in the name of His Son, Jesus Christ. We believe Joseph Smith to have been a prophet, like Moses, Abraham and the other Biblical prophets, but we don't see him as divine. We don't pray to him or worship him.
This is the best news I've heard all week. You have not idea the battle I've been fighting with this. Katzpur you have made a huge impact on me. Thanks so much. The LDS live so by the book and your familys are so loving and caring I want to raise my family in the same surroundings. You can even look back at posts "has RF ever changed you view" and you will see this has been a issue for me.

This mormon view needs to made a thread to share this view because I'm not the only person with the wrong info. Thanks, thanks, and thanks...

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Abram said:
This is the best news I've heard all week. You have not idea the battle I've been fighting with this. Katzpur you have made a huge impact on me. Thanks so much. The LDS live so by the book and your familys are so loving and caring I want to raise my family in the same surroundings. You can even look back at posts "has RF ever changed you view" and you will see this has been a issue for me.

This mormon view needs to made a thread to share this view because I'm not the only person with the wrong info. Thanks, thanks, and thanks...
Wow! And that's the best news I've heard all week. ;) We are misunderstood. There is no denying that. I'm not trying to play the victim role; I'm just stating the facts as I see them. The doctrine and teachings of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have made a profound impact on my life. I can't imagine how I would be able to live without them. In Mormonism, I find answers, answers that make sense and feel right. These answers sustain, comfort and guide me every day of my life.

May I recommend a book you might enjoy? It's called Latter Days, and was written by Coke Newell. It's several years old, but I'm sure you could find it on Amazon.com.
It's a nice blend of LDS history and doctrine, written in a very understandable way. It's really one of the best introductions to Mormonism I've ever read. It's super easy to get into and will really hold your interest.

Please feel free to ask any of the LDS posters here anything you'd like to know. We really do get a lot of satisfaction in clearing up the multitide of misconceptions there are out there about our beliefs.

Kathryn

Steve

Ok here are some major differences between LDS and Christians. Much can be found at http://www.carm.org/mormon.htm, http://www.carm.org/lds/lds_doctrines.htm,

Jesus and Satan are spirit brothers and we were all born as siblings in heaven to them both, (Mormon Doctrine, p. 163.)

There is no salvation without accepting Joseph Smith as a prophet of God, (Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. 1, p. 188.)

A plan of salvation was needed for the people of earth so Jesus offered a plan to the Father and Satan offered a plan to the father but Jesus' plan was accepted. In effect the Devil wanted to be the Savior of all Mankind and to "deny men their agency and to dethrone god." (Mormon Doctrine, page 193; Journal of Discourses, vol. 6, page 8.)

God used to be a man on another planet, Mormon Doctrine, p. 321. Joseph Smith, Times and Seasons, Vol 5, pp. 613-614; Orson Pratt, Journal of Discourses, Vol 2, p. 345, Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, vol. 7, p. 333.)

God the Father had a Father, (Joseph Smith, History of the Church, vol. 6, p. 476; Heber C. Kimball, Journal of Discourses, vol. 5, p. 19; Milton Hunter, First Council of the Seventy, Gospel through the Ages, p. 104-105.)

God had sexual relations with Mary to make the body of Jesus, (Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 4, p. 218, 1857; vol. 8, p. 115.) - This one is disputed among many Mormons and not always 'officially' taught and believed. Nevertheless, Young, the 2nd prophet of the Mormon church taught it.

God is married to his goddess wife and has spirit children, (Mormon Doctrine p. 516.)

The trinity is three separate Gods: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. "That these three are separate individuals, physically distinct from each other, is demonstrated by the accepted records of divine dealings with man." (Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, p. 35.)

If it had not been for Joseph Smith and the restoration, there would be no salvation. There is no salvation [the context is the full gospel including exaltation to Godhood] outside the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, (Mormon Doctrine, p. 670.)

Bishka

Veteran Member
Steve said:
Ok here are some major differences between LDS and Christians. Much can be found at http://www.carm.org/mormon.htm, http://www.carm.org/lds/lds_doctrines.htm,

Jesus and Satan are spirit brothers and we were all born as siblings in heaven to them both, (Mormon Doctrine, p. 163.)

There is no salvation without accepting Joseph Smith as a prophet of God, (Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. 1, p. 188.)

A plan of salvation was needed for the people of earth so Jesus offered a plan to the Father and Satan offered a plan to the father but Jesus' plan was accepted. In effect the Devil wanted to be the Savior of all Mankind and to "deny men their agency and to dethrone god." (Mormon Doctrine, page 193; Journal of Discourses, vol. 6, page 8.)

God used to be a man on another planet, Mormon Doctrine, p. 321. Joseph Smith, Times and Seasons, Vol 5, pp. 613-614; Orson Pratt, Journal of Discourses, Vol 2, p. 345, Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, vol. 7, p. 333.)

God the Father had a Father, (Joseph Smith, History of the Church, vol. 6, p. 476; Heber C. Kimball, Journal of Discourses, vol. 5, p. 19; Milton Hunter, First Council of the Seventy, Gospel through the Ages, p. 104-105.)

God had sexual relations with Mary to make the body of Jesus, (Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 4, p. 218, 1857; vol. 8, p. 115.) - This one is disputed among many Mormons and not always 'officially' taught and believed. Nevertheless, Young, the 2nd prophet of the Mormon church taught it.

God is married to his goddess wife and has spirit children, (Mormon Doctrine p. 516.)

The trinity is three separate Gods: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. "That these three are separate individuals, physically distinct from each other, is demonstrated by the accepted records of divine dealings with man." (Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, p. 35.)

If it had not been for Joseph Smith and the restoration, there would be no salvation. There is no salvation [the context is the full gospel including exaltation to Godhood] outside the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, (Mormon Doctrine, p. 670.)
Do you have a problem with the LDS church?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Steve said:
Yes, much can be found at carm. Unfortunately, very little of it is accurate.

We are all sons and daughters of the same God. He is the Father of our Spirits.

False.

More or less. You're at least on the right track with this one.

Not LDS doctrine.

Not LDS doctrine.

False.

Yes.

Yes, except that we don't believe in the Trinity. We believe in the Godhead.

A misleading and incomplete explanation.

Thanks for your trouble, but let me make just one quick suggestion. In the future, you might consider sticking to a subject you actually know something about. You own beliefs might be a good place to start. There are at least a half a dozen Latter-day Saints on this forum. I think it goes without saying that any one of us is in a much better position to be explaining Mormon doctrine than you are.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Katzpur said:
Thanks for your trouble, but let me make just one quick suggestion. In the future, you might consider sticking to a subject you know something about. You own beliefs might be a good place to start. There are at least a half a dozen Latter-day Saints on this forum. Believe me, all of us are in a much better position to be explaining Mormon doctrine than you are.
Yay Katzpur. Seriously, listen to her, she knows what she is talking about.:clap

Steve

beckysoup61 said:
Do you have a problem with the LDS church?
I do believe it is wrong in many areas.

Steve said:
Katzpur said:
We are all sons and daughters of the same God. He is the Father of our Spirits.
Christ according to the bible is creator of all things, he is eternal eg existed befor time as we know it, befor he created matter/space/time - not like with us or satan.
Also he is the creator of our spirits and in that sense our father but not in the sense that we also have a godess mother etc

Steve said:
Katzpur said:
Well why is it written in "Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. 1, p. 188"

Steve said:
Katzpur said:
More or less. You're at least on the right track with this one.
So was it satan who tempted us into sin in the first place? Wasnt he at this point already at war with God?

Steve said:
Katzpur said:
Not LDS doctrine.
So why is it written in Mormon Doctrine, p. 321. Joseph Smith and Times and Seasons, Vol 5, pp. 613-614; Orson Pratt and Journal of Discourses, Vol 2, p. 345 and Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, vol. 7, p. 333?
And also if i remember correctly i was told this by mormons who came to my door once too.

Steve said:
Katzpur said:
Not LDS doctrine.
Again many sources, and i think ive heard that myself from mormons befor too.

Steve said:
Katzpur said:
I know its false but it was "your" prophet who taught it.

Steve said:
Katzpur said:
So this Godess wife where did she come from? Is there more then one eternal God? Why isnt she part of your definition of the "Godhead"?

Steve said:
Katzpur said:
Yes, except that we don't believe in the Trinity. We believe in the Godhead.
Which amounts to 3 Gods? plus the wife wherever she fits in?

Steve said:
Katzpur said:
A misleading and incomplete explanation.
Ok well explain it so its not misleading, how would there be no salvation if Joseph Smith didnt do his thing?

Katzpur said:
Thanks for your trouble, but let me make just one quick suggestion. In the future, you might consider sticking to a subject you know something about. You own beliefs might be a good place to start. There are at least a half a dozen Latter-day Saints on this forum. I think it goes without saying that any one of us is in a much better position to be explaining Mormon doctrine than you are.
Ok well ive raise some issues concerning mormonism, all you have replied with for many of them is one word answers, despite the sources etc. If you want to try and explain these doctrines etc go ahead i really am interested in hearing your explanations.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Steve said:
I do believe it is wrong in many areas.
Obviously. But you don't even know what we really believe. You only know what some anti-Mormon website claims we believe.

Ok well ive raise some issues concerning mormonism, all you have replied with for many of them is one word answers, despite the sources etc. If you want to try and explain these doctrines etc go ahead i really am interested in hearing your explanations.
I'll respond to this quote first, even though it was the last thing you said. You have been very outspoken in describing LDS doctrine, but most of what you say we believe, we don't believe at all. There are four volumes of scripture in the LDS canon: The Bible (KJV), The Book of Mormon, The Doctrine and Covenants, and The Pearl of Great Price. If you can find a teaching in one of these four books, it's a safe bet that it's doctrine. If you can't find it in one of these books, I can pretty much guarantee you that it's one man's interpretation of LDS doctrine. It may be an accurate interpretion, but then again, it may not be. It is important for people such as you -- who really don't know what we believe -- to recognize that we have never held any of our prophets to be infallible. We have never claimed -- nor have they -- that every word they ever spoke was directly from God. They were human beings, like you or me. They made mistakes. They had opinions of their own which they sometimes stated. Their opinions are not LDS doctrine unless, as I said before, they can be backed up through one of the books I previously mentioned. (These, incidentally, are known as the "Standard Works." Many of your quotes came from non-doctrinal sources.)

Christ according to the bible is creator of all things, he is eternal eg existed befor time as we know it, befor he created matter/space/time - not like with us or satan. Also he is the creator of our spirits and in that sense our father but not in the sense that we also have a godess mother etc.
According to the Bible, Christ is the creator of our universe. The Latter-day Saints share this belief with all Christians. He was with His Father "in the beginning." But He is not His own Father. He is a separate being, who is perfectly united with His Father in will and purpose. God the Father is the Father of our Spirits. This is entirely consistent with what the Bible teaches. That Jesus Christ was the firstborn of the Father's spirit children is also strictly Biblical. I am not aware of anywhere in the Bible where we are expressly taught that God has a female companion. Are you aware of anywhere in the Bible where we are taught that He does not?

Well why is it written in "Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. 1, p. 188"

So was it satan who tempted us into sin in the first place? Wasnt he at this point already at war with God?

So why is it written in Mormon Doctrine, p. 321. Joseph Smith and Times and Seasons, Vol 5, pp. 613-614; Orson Pratt and Journal of Discourses, Vol 2, p. 345 and Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, vol. 7, p. 333?
And also if i remember correctly i was told this by mormons who came to my door once too.

Again many sources, and i think ive heard that myself from mormons befor too.

I know its false but it was "your" prophet who taught it.
I think I already commented sufficiently on these criticisms. The "Doctrines of Salvation," the "Journal of Discources" and the "Times and Seasons" are not part of the LDS canon. In terms of what you think you remember, I'd suggest you think again. Obviously, your memory is less than perfect.

So this Godess wife where did she come from? Why isnt she part of your definition of the "Godhead"?
I have no idea. We have not been given this information. She is not, however, part of the Godhead. The Godhead is comprised of God the Eternal Father, His Son Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost.

Which amounts to 3 Gods?
Yes, it amounts to three divine beings who share the title of God. You can criticize this belief all you want. But while you're at it, you might try answering the following questions for me, because I've just never been able to figure them out:

Did Jesus pray to Himself in the Garden of Gethsemane and at other times, as recorded in the scriptures?
Did He ask himself to forgive those who nailed Him to the cross?
Did He forsake himself as He was dying?
Did He commend himself into His own hands at the end of His life?

Ok well explain it so its not misleading, how would there be no salvation if Joseph Smith didnt do his thing?
Joseph Smith restored the gospel of Jesus Christ to the earth. Through him, God restored Priesthood authority which had been lost for centuries. It is through the Priesthood that man is given the authority to act in God's name, performing the sacred ordinances that are a vital part of the Savior's Gospel.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Holy smokes Mark, what have you gotten yourself into? :biglaugh:
Opened up a can of worms. Good Luck..

Ody

If G-d (its the religious jew way of typing it) is so rational, so just why does he make it that only those who believe in jesus are saved?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Victor said:
Holy smokes Mark, what have you gotten yourself into? :biglaugh:
Opened up a can of worms. Good Luck..
I suggested that questions on Mormonism be directed to a different thread, Victor, but my suggestions didn't seem to work. (Sorry, Mark.)