• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask an Ujiko

Brinne

An Ujiko (lit. child of the clan) is a term used by many contemporary practitioners of Jinjia Shinto, similar to the term "parishoner." You may ask me any questions here, whether it relates to my faith or not.

Quick info: I am not a member of any shrine officially (though my dream is to live in a place where I may visit Hakone shrine regularly), the kami I enshrine at home are Amatearsu Omikami-sama (Godess of the sun, compassion, light and energy) and Inari Okami-sama (Godess of business success, rice, agriculture, and represented by foxes). I also revere the kami Hachiman (God of protection, archery, warriors, samurai, agriculture, and defender of Japan), Benzaiten (Godess of music, arts, poetry), Tenjin (God of education, learning, and writing), and Sarutahiko no Okami (God of guidance) to name a few. That's not to say I don't think the other kami are important though, I worship them all equally :D

Please note; elements of Buddhism and folk Shinto are weaved into my beliefs as well.

Ask away!

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
An Ujiko (lit. child of the clan) is a term used by many contemporary practitioners of Jinjia Shinto, similar to the term "parishoner." You may ask me any questions here, whether it relates to my faith or not.

Quick info: I am not a member of any shrine officially (though my dream is to live in a place where I may visit Hakone shrine regularly), the kami I enshrine at home are Amatearsu Omikami-sama (Godess of the sun, compassion, light and energy) and Inari Okami-sama (Godess of business success, rice, agriculture, and represented by foxes). I also revere the kami Hachiman (God of protection, archery, warriors, samurai, agriculture, and defender of Japan), Benzaiten (Godess of music, arts, poetry), Tenjin (God of education, learning, and writing), and Sarutahiko no Okami (God of guidance) to name a few. That's not to say I don't think the other kami are important though, I worship them all equally :D

Please note; elements of Buddhism and folk Shinto are weaved into my beliefs as well.

Ask away!

Cool. Of what purpose does human existence serve?

As follow-up... what purpose do you ascribe as any significant importance in consideration of your "answers". Thank you.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Hmm, you say you have elements of Buddhism into your beliefs, so may I ask which parts?

Also, what made you decide on Shinto and were there any parts of it you struggled with?

(Personally, from last I read, I thought the concept of the after-life in Shinto was really harsh, no wonder people in Japan prefer Buddhist funerals!)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
There is a concept of afterlife in Shinto? I did not know that. May you tell me a little about it?

I have a notion about what folk Shinto should be. May you tell me a bit about what differentiates Jinjia Shinto from other forms of Shinto?

Do you find it funny when people ask why Shinto?

Do you find it natural that it is all but impossible to find Shinto practice centers outside Japan (I looked for them in São Paulo, Brazil. Nearly no luck whatsoever)?

How harmoniously do you feel Buddhism to connect with Shinto (it at all)?

Do you have anything to remark about the Shinto Creation Myth?

Brinne

Why Shinto?

Also, what made you decide on Shinto and were there any parts of it you struggled with?

I chose Shinto because I felt a connection whilst I was in Japan. The iconography, architecture, feeling of being around a shrine, festivals, and rituals just everything about it ignited a sort of special feeling within me. It's a nature revering religion which is also very very attractive to me. I felt almost as if Shinto chose me rather than me choosing Shinto.

Early on in my practice (before the days of my kamidana) I mad a prayer to Amaterasu Omikami-sama asking her to make a deal. My friend was about to lose her job (her boss wanted 'the talk') so I prayed fervently to Amaterasu Omikami-sama throughout the night that if my friend didn't lose her job I would lead a life devoted to the kami. So when it was revealed her boss didn't fire her I felt it necessary to keep my part of the bargain. Since then it's been an interesting ride with the kami :yes:

Brinne

Cool. Of what purpose does human existence serve?

As follow-up... what purpose do you ascribe as any significant importance in consideration of your "answers". Thank you.

To help each other and live harmoniously with nature, to honor our ancestors (in one way or another, not necessarily prayer), and live positive lives. There's no real 'endgoal' per say in Shinto or goal of the human race. It's pretty much "Don't be a dick to people or the environment."

I suppose there isn't really any importance; I'm just a practitioner of Shinto in America. My practice began in Japan and I've studies a decent amount about the subject but I don't think I'm in a position to say "my answers represent everyone and are the word of the kami themselves" though. In short I'm just hoping to answer questions people have about Shinto since, for the most part, it's not really seen too much outside of Japan.

Brinne

So, what's your type of girls, ore no tomodachi (or should it be boku wa tomodachi)?

:D

I believe ore wa would be correct though I'm not a master of Japanese in the slightest :p

Haha my type of girls, interesting question. I usually prefer open minded girls who are smart (Not saying they have to be geniuses but some general knowledge is always good) and can joke around and have a good laugh. Someone who is organized would probably be nice for me since I'm quite the opposite of that. Physically speaking I prefer Asian women (that's not to say I'm racist and wouldn't date a white girl or a African american girl, it's all really dependent on the personality tbh) with short hair and short stature, just what I seem to be attracted to :shrug: then again the personality is more important than the physical appearance 100% of the time for me.

Brinne

Hmm, you say you have elements of Buddhism into your beliefs, so may I ask which parts?

(Personally, from last I read, I thought the concept of the after-life in Shinto was really harsh, no wonder people in Japan prefer Buddhist funerals!)

I blend certain Buddhist elements like the belief that the kami are Bodhisattva/Buddhas and the belief that the Bodhisattva/Buddhas are kami. This is a commonly held belief in Japan among many named (Tendai, Shugendo, Shingon) and unnamed traditions. I have a small Buddhist altar (it's really just a scroll on the wall of Bodhisattvas and a small wooden Buddha statue from Bali with some incense) that I meditate and pray towards almost as regularly as I do with my kamidana nowadays.

I also believe in reincarnation. The concept of the after life in Shinto isn't really stressed to much; the World of Yomi is simply stated in the Kojiki to be a dull boring and dirty place for dead spirits to roam. It's headed by Izanami-no-Mikoto the goddess of creation and death. But then again since there is real no main doctrine in Shinto there's no saying that 'If you don't belief in the World of Yomi as a place where you go when you die you can't be part of our religion' or 'if you don't do this this and the other thing you go to Yomi and perish'

Brinne

There is a concept of afterlife in Shinto? I did not know that. May you tell me a little about it?

The World of Yomi is a dirty, boring, dull realm (as it is described in the Kojiki, their words not mine) that is for the dead spirits. When they do their they're greeted by sites of impurity. It is said that Yomi is one of the most impure places. Once one eats from the fruit of the World of Yomi they're destined to stay there forever. There's really not too much said about The World of Yomi as the afterlife and death really aren't too big of subjects in Shinto. It's a more 'here and now' religion focused on ritual and action.

I have a notion about what folk Shinto should be. May you tell me a bit about what differentiates Jinjia Shinto from other forms of Shinto?
'Jinja Shinto' simply means Shrine Shinto. It's the main branch of Shinto and the largest. It's your typical kamidana, shrine, omamori, shrine maiden Shinto.
Do you find it funny when people ask why Shinto?
No, I just think they're curious.
Do you find it natural that it is all but impossible to find Shinto practice centers outside Japan (I looked for them in São Paulo, Brazil. Nearly no luck whatsoever)?
In the U.S. there are three shines. One on the East Coast (New York), one in the mid-west (forget where but this Shrine has been condemned by many because it enshrines Russian folklore spirits alongside Japanese kami which is a big no-no.), and the west coast (Washington's Tsubaki Grand Shrine of America is the biggest, most well equipped, well staffed, shrine in America).

It's to be expected though that Shinto is hard to find outside of Japan. Many don't really know what it is and those who do generally think 'Oh it's only for the Japanese, darn' when in reality the Japanese themselves are quite supportive of American's practicing, as long as they are sincere. I've also heard from many devout followers of Shinto (who are Americans) that their dream is to open up more shrines in the U.S. so maybe we'll see some more ;)

However, this isn't too much of a problem to me. My dream is to live in Japan and there's plenty of shrines over there.
How harmoniously do you feel Buddhism to connect with Shinto (it at all)?
Very! It's almost scary how logically they fit together. Forum user Leftimies summed it up best when he said 'Buddhism is the philosophy of the inside, and Shinto is the philosophy of the outside' which really does make sense if you think about it. You may think it odd of me to say this but I assure you if you venture to Japan ever you'll see for yourself that the two fit together very well.

Shrines are sometimes found on Buddhist temple grounds. Similarly, Buddhist temples have adopted certain Shinto rituals like ritual ablution in the Shinto fashion and selling Shinto amulets and fortunes at Buddhist temples.
Do you have anything to remark about the Shinto Creation Myth?
I think it is interesting. Izanami-no-mikoto and Izanagi-no-mikoto represent yin and yang, the creation and destruction cycle. I believe that their introduction into the universe was essentially the universe starting to take form and losing it's permanence, as the cycle of destruction and creation started things began to change thus creating the world we live in.

I like to look at the creation myth from both a metaphorical and a literal view, I think interesting things can be learned from it. Though I'm not saying it was the absolute only way in which the world could have been created.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I blend certain Buddhist elements like the belief that the kami are Bodhisattva/Buddhas and the belief that the Bodhisattva/Buddhas are kami. This is a commonly held belief in Japan among many named (Tendai, Shugendo, Shingon) and unnamed traditions. I have a small Buddhist altar (it's really just a scroll on the wall of Bodhisattvas and a small wooden Buddha statue from Bali with some incense) that I meditate and pray towards almost as regularly as I do with my kamidana nowadays.

I also believe in reincarnation. The concept of the after life in Shinto isn't really stressed to much; the World of Yomi is simply stated in the Kojiki to be a dull boring and dirty place for dead spirits to roam. It's headed by Izanami-no-Mikoto the goddess of creation and death. But then again since there is real no main doctrine in Shinto there's no saying that 'If you don't belief in the World of Yomi as a place where you go when you die you can't be part of our religion' or 'if you don't do this this and the other thing you go to Yomi and perish'

Sounds really nice to find a way of life that isn't restrictive to what you believe and allows some freedom. I quite like that! I too believe in reincarnation, actually.

My curiosity is piqued. I'd love to know more about it...

Which comes to my next question, so I understand you went to Japan... But in the west isn't it harder to find resources for Shinto? I just quickly Google'd but haven't found much so far.

Brinne

Sounds really nice to find a way of life that isn't restrictive to what you believe and allows some freedom. I quite like that! I too believe in reincarnation, actually.

My curiosity is piqued. I'd love to know more about it...

Which comes to my next question, so I understand you went to Japan... But in the west isn't it harder to find resources for Shinto? I just quickly Google'd but haven't found much so far.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer!

I would recommend the Shinto encyclopedia, it's a website maintained by Kokugakuin Academy which is the most famous/credible university of Shinto studies in Japan. Another website to look into would be the website for the Tsubaki Grand Shrine of America; lots of English resources and an online book (that is posted on the website for free) that describes Shinto practice.

In addition to that there are few Facebook groups that I can recommend to you if you're into that. Lots of interesting information has circulated through three groups I'm in and they're open to people who don't identify as Shinto too.

Hope this could help :)

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
When you were visiting Japan, was it for school, visiting family, or just for a vacation?

What was your first experience with a Kami or Boddhisattva?

What are some stereotypes about Japanese culture or people that are not true? As well as those that are actually true?

Brinne

When you were visiting Japan, was it for school, visiting family, or just for a vacation?
It was for school. However, after that experience I consider my host family a second family. They will be coming to visit the U.S. sometime within the year :D
My first experience with a kami was probably with Okuninushi since that was the first shrine I ever visited. I had a very profound experience at Hakone shrine, I felt very in touch with nature and the kami (the Hakone Okami) and it was a very enjoyable time; a feeling of bliss kind of came out of nowhere and hit me like a truck. It was wonderful.

In the U.S. I started having experiences with kami too when I got back, like they were repaying me after I spent a good 30-40% of my yen at shrines. I was visited by a fox (something I've NEVER seen in my area) that was making a whimpering noise, like it was trying to get our attention. It had been sitting out there from 4 AM until I finally went outside to see what the noise was all about at around 10 AM. When I walked outside it made eye contact me and jumped OVER the stone wall and dashed away. Previously I had been reading about Inari, the goddess of fertility, rice, and prosperity whose messengers are foxes. After that I felt it necessary to enshrine Inari Okami-sama in my kamidana alongside Amaterasu Omikami-sama.

My first experience with a Buddha/Bodhisattva was probably at Kiyomizu Temple in Kyoto. We were told to go into a tunnel that ran underneath the temple and hold onto a rope, it was are only guide through the pitch dark. Halfway we were met with a rock that we were to spin and make a wish, like a prayer wheel. After I came out my guide said "How do you feel? You have just been reborn!" to us which kind of a crazy thing to hear. I walked over and purchased a omikuji (fortune) for 100 yen and was lucky enough to get the rating of "Great Blessing", the highest/best fortune. Afterwards I purified my hands and mouth from a water well with some of the rest of the group. I'm not sure which Bodhisattva or Buddha to accredit the experience in the cave/rebirth with but it was something I will remember for many years to come.

I also had feelings of awe and inspiration when I saw the Great Buddha of Kamakura (Daibutsu), a statue of Amitabha (One of my favorite Buddhas). We were also allowed inside the statue of the Buddha which was just...I mean how many times are you allowed inside those statues? It's not really ornate or anything on the inside, kind of a let down compared to the grandeur of the outside of the statue but I still enjoyed it.

The Buddha of the Todaji in Nara was also just simply amazing. 130 M + and surrounded by various Bodhisattvas. I also remember there was a train station we'd end up at when we switched trains and from the station you could see a pearl white statue of the Buddha peeking his head from behind the mountain. Always a nice view.
What are some stereotypes about Japanese culture or people that are not true? As well as those that are actually true?
The biggest one would be that they view Americans in the stereotypical "stupid gaijin barbarian soiling my culture" view which is completely and utterly false. The Japanese, from my experience, were the kindest most welcoming people I've ever met. They're overjoyed when you know the slightest bit about their culture and language. They're incredibly polite but also shy at times, they don't like to push things on you and they're very apologetic. My friend's host family actually apologized for the events of World War II when they visited a history museum because their family felt obligated to do so. It's quite a culture shock but an enjoyable one. Being surrounded by such friendly and inclusive people is wonderful.

However, on the subways and trains this kindness goes out the window. People will shove you on those trains and if you're standing in the wrong place at the wrong time, prepare to be trampled. I remember some guy shoulder checked me causing me to drop my lunch/snack (some crackers) and almost fall and he didn't even look back. I'm not sure what demon posses Japanese people when they get near trains but it's scary :rolleyes:

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator

I'm guessing that your inquiry was unlikely directed towards me, but some yet apply.

I lived in Japan for four years, but was young and impressionable in that time.

I was exposed to cultural beliefs, but followed no interests in that regard. Not that I didn't care mind you, I just had no interest.

Stereotypes? Really? Some Japanese may have thought (in the popular days of "Bonanza!" ...in Japanese mind you) that most Americans wore 10 gallon hats, cowboy boots, and still rode horses on the prairie.

Even in those earliest of years (first grade), we were instructed and exposed to as many of the current and past cultural aspects of that resident culture as our little minds might digest. I learned far more from my resident "mama-san" (who was an in-house maid, servant, and protector of sorts), and was encouraged to spend time with her (middle-class) family in the outskirts of residential Tokyo. I am told that I was once fluent in the language, and learned many things. I do recall that "stereotypes" often now attributed to Japanese "culture", we just untrue, and ignorant at best. Kinda like the cowboy boots and hats of Americans. :)