• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask about Jehovah's Witnesses

SoulTYPE

Witnessdude, I do have a question on jehova's witnesses themselves.

Why do they feel they have to "doorknock" to convince families to believe in God? Should they not accept people's own religions, and not think that the "Jehova's Witness" way is THE RIGHT way?

Druidus said:
But did you not say that you believe in the bible 100%? Therefore, since these were the words and commandments of God, you would be disobeying him, no? How can you say that these rules are not to be followed and others are? Why don't we not follow other rules, and say we can "still learn from them"?
You have not been reading what I have been writing. The Bible itself say's that the Mosaic laws are no longer applicable - and that's why we don't follow them anymore. There is no other part of the Bible that does this - but only for the Mosaic law. By not following the Mosaic law, we are are following the Bible even more closely than most people, not disobeying it

Ahh, but to say that you accept the bible in full, and then not to follow it literally would be hypocritical. You are not to eat the blood, it doesn't say you can't recieve transfusions. Every peice of meat you eat will have some blood in it. That's where the taste comes from (hemoglobin from the blood). Are you all vegetarians? There is also blood in eggs (chicken menstruation), and milk (Cows regularily have bleeding sores, because they have been engineered to have udders far too large for their bodies. Some of this blood and pus get in the milk.). Before you say that these are animals, and thus, do not count, read your quote again. "YOU must not eat the blood of any sort of flesh...". It says "any sort of flesh". I presume meat is flesh.

Act 15:29 says: To keep abstaining from things sacrificed to idols and from blood and from things strangled and from fornication. If YOU carefully keep yourselves from these things, YOU will prosper. Good health to YOU!" Nowhere in this scripture does it refer to food consumption only, it is a full command to abstain altogether. Ask yourself this: Do you think that God after banning blood from food, would be happy for his servants to accept blood through a needle?!

Zathutra (sp?), a prophet from around the same region as the biblical prophets, was killed for his predictions, because they were against the bible. The predictions came true. Show me these "predictions" that came true. What about the Vedic texts? The myriad other "holy" books? I recall, one of them had drawings of flyable aircraft!
I have never heard of Zathutra, there is no reference to him in the Bible.

Nostradamus also predicted much. However, biblical predictions are even more vague then his, and thus, open to speculation, not considered fact. The bible's message is harmonius? Why was the God of the old testament more like a sadistic ruler who favoured one child, and the God of the new testament like a loving martyr who favoured none? It's works and fruitage? Why aren't the other holy books considered the word of God to you, then?
As for Nostradamus, I would not consider him "a prophet". Of the alleged 946 predictions attributed to Nostradamus, only about 70 are considered to have had some kind of fulfillment. That works out to less than a 7-percent success rate. However, regarding the ‘successes,’ M’Clintock and Strong’s Cyclopædia comments that many are considered to be the "bold forgeries" of his interpreters, including the prediction of his own death. Others were "composed after the events to which they seem designed to refer." Some are "strained" in their application and some are shown to have ‘fulfillments’ in a number of different events.When astrologers predict future events, it is not always possible to determine their accuracy since it may require waiting centuries for the fulfillment, if there ever is a fulfillment.

The God of the OT was not being "tyrannical", despite what it seems. The fact that the first born was favoured was not something that God set in motion, it was actually the local Israelite tradition at the time, among many other traditions. From God's point of view, he was not going to "change" the culture of his people, however, he was going "regulate" it so that it was a fair system. If you read the other passages of the OT, this "OT God" is the same God that makes sure the poor people have food to eat and makes sure slaves are treated fairly and are set free after seven years, among many other things.

SoulTYPE01 said:

Jah dude thinks I am invisible.
:D

It's not that I am ignoring your question, it's that I have yet to answer the questions before yours. Once I have answered their's, then I will answer yours. I have not got a a-lot of time to come on here, which is why the response is slow.

Ronald said:
In your condescending Laymans terms or any other terms, Show me where anyone goes to heaven EXCEPT He who Came Down From Heaven!!!! Seems to me you have a SECRET BIBLE, because I've never read one that sats "Go to Heaven" you me or anyone else. (Joh 3:13 No one has ascended intoheaven but he who descended from heaven, the Son of man.)
WitnessofJah likes to ADD also! :162:
You're taking what I say out of context - which you done with my every response so far. Your response of John 3:13 has nothing to do with your original question of the first resurrection. To be able to understand John 3:13 correctly, you have to understand the context it was in first and also, and look at the prior scriptures. John 3:9-13 says: " In answer Nic·o·de´mus said to him: "How can these things come about?" 10 In answer Jesus said to him: "Are you a teacher of Israel and yet do not know these things? 11 Most truly I say to you, What we know we speak and what we have seen we bear witness of, but YOU people do not receive the witness we give. 12 If I have told YOU earthly things and yet YOU do not believe, how will YOU believe if I tell YOU heavenly things? 13 Moreover, no man has ascended into heaven but he that descended from heaven, the Son of man".

In other words, Jesus was telling Nicodemus that he, whose dwelling had been in heaven with his Father from the beginning of creation, had descended from heaven and was in position to instruct him about heavenly matters; but if Nicodemus was not going to accept his instruction, then there was no other way he could gain the knowledge he wanted, because no man had at any time ascended to heaven in order to get such knowledge and come back down here with it. Jesus was not discussing any previous ascension on his own part.

robtex said:
I understand that Jehovah's witness cannot box, wrestle or study martial arts. Is this true? I also understand that they are discouraged from marrying outside of their faith...how true is that? When was Jesus last on earth and where?
That's many questions in one small paragraph. :)

First of all, the Bible condemns violence many times in the Bible. For example: Psalms 11:5 says: "Jehovah himself examines the righteous one as well as the wicked one,and anyone loving violence His soul certainly hates." So this verse actually says that 'anyone loving violence, God certainly hates'. With that in mind, do you think that god would actually approve of boxing, wrestling, or for that matter, any type of violence? God is not one to be mocked, and if people continue to do these things despite what his word says, they will have to answer for their error with no excuses when the time comes.

Regarding marrying outside of the faith, 1 Cor 7:39 says: "A wife is bound during all the time her husband is alive. But if her husband should fall asleep [in death], she is free to be married to whom she wants, only in [the] Lord." We are encourged to marry within the Lord, but we are not absolutely barred from marrying someone on the outside, but it is for our own spiritual good. For example, by marrying someone outside of what you believe in, you risk being turned away from the faith by your partner and losing your relationship with God. This "advise" is not to segregate ourselves from society, but is actually for our own spiritual good.

When was Jesus last on earth? Well, according to Biblical scripture, the last time he was on earth in a human form would have been around 33-34 C.E., soon after he died and at the time of the ascension.The account of the ascension is actually in Acts 1:1-11. The last appearance of Jesus was when he went up to the heavens never to be seen in human form again. Verse 9: "And after he had said these things, while they were looking on, he was lifted up and a cloud caught him up from their vision.. If you are asking instead about Jesus appearance on earth in spirit after that time period until now, there is no record. However, Jesus will return some day in the future to cleanse the earth of it's wickedness.(Rev 16:16)

linwood said:
Are you saying that the New World Translation is not inerrant?
I have never heard a JW under any circumstances admit to this and I`ve argued it with quite a few.
No I am not saying this at all. If you read my prior response carefully, I was actually talking about the the ancient Greek texts. By comparing many of these Greek copies, we were able to compare them accurately to uncover the correct text. As I said in my previous response: 'From this we should not take the view that the text of the Christian Greek Scriptures has suffered measurably in transmission. Scholar Jack Finegan has stated: "The total number of New Testament manuscripts is very impressive. . . . No other Greek book has anything like this amount of testimony to its text. It is true that there are numerous textual variations among these different New Testament manuscripts, but the majority of them are of a relatively minor character . . . As a matter of fact, it has been estimated by careful students that there are substantial variations in hardly more than a thousandth part of the entire text."—Light from the Ancient Past, page 352.

It is entirely true.
Many sects do not want their flock to marry any of a different faith but the JW`s are extremely strict about it.

JW`s disparage most influence outside of their faith.
Read my response to "Robtex". We do no "enforce" anything and only "advise". To make anybody do anything would be wrong on our part.

a2ndson said:
May I ask, how do you feel about the jw's common practice of telling their flock to shun those who don't agree 100% with their doctrine?
We don't "shun" anybody. I have been going to Kingdom Hall meetings for years and I have never been told by any elder in the congregation to shun/ignore non-believers. On the contrary, we are told to to have good conduct and be kind to non-believers. 1 Peter 2:12 says: "Maintain your conduct right among the nations, that . . . they may as a result of your right works . . . glorify God." As JW's we actually frown upon and condemn other JW's who act in a bad manner to non-believers.

linwood said:
Witness what is your opinion of the Silent Lambs and their efforts?
The Silent Lambs are what we call "apostates". We have no hatred toward them at all but we frown upon their accusations because they are unfounded. A few of these Silent Lamb "members" were actually former JW'S which have an axe to grind because they were expelled for serious wrongdoing. The Bible even foretold that these people would exist: "For many deceivers have gone forth into the world, persons not confessing Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is the deceiver and the antichrist." (2 John 7)

Do you know that these people have never confronted our society with names, facts, and places? The reason why is because none exist. If they did exist, we would be more than happy to cooperate and to expel these people. The Silent Lambs ride on publicity alone and nothing else.

SoulTYPE01 said:
Witnessdude, I do have a question on jehova's witnesses themselves.

Why do they feel they have to "doorknock" to convince families to believe in God? Should they not accept people's own religions, and not think that the "Jehova's Witness" way is THE RIGHT way?
The reason why we preach and knock on people's door is because the Bible COMMANDS us to do so many times. Jesus himself even preached in his era. Matthew 24:14 says: "And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come."

We don't try and force people to listen to our message. If they are not interested, we move on to the next person. As the time of the end in now approaching, we hold ourselves responsible for not spreading the word and talking to people about the kingdom message because at the end of the day, it is commanded of us.

mrscardero

Kal-El's Mama
SoulTYPE01 said:

Jah dude thinks I am invisible.
I don't think you are the only one...ask carrdero. Plus...patience is a vertue :D

I have a question...I always used to having JW come knocking on our door, but for some reason, we have been receiving phone calls for bible studies. When did they start this and why?

SoulTYPE

Maize said:
Why do JWs believe the end is near?
I don't want to interrupt Jah's reign in this thread, but perhaps I can answer it Maize. They do so because the time when God is returning to the World, he will destroy it and mould it into his image. He will remove all evil and cleanse it, making it a "newer" world. Therefore, it is the end of the "worl" we currently live on

Scott1

Just want to pop in here and say that I have great respect for you WitnessofJah.

Thanks so much for posting your beliefs here.... it takes a lot of courage to post when sometimes it seems everyone is "against" you.

POST ON!
Scott

SoulTYPE

SOGFPP said:
Just want to pop in here and say that I have great respect for you WitnessofJah.

Thanks so much for posting your beliefs here.... it takes a lot of courage to post when sometimes it seems everyone is "against" you.

POST ON!
Scott
I feel that way too, but remain.

a2ndson

jw, thanks for the reply, you are a true jw. after reading your response to my question and linwoods as well, I've decided that if I need anymore questions answered with half truths I'll ask them later. My emotions seem to be getting the best of me here, but losing my sister because she was pressured by her elders to shun her family seems to have clouded my judgement.

Maize said:
Why do JWs believe the end is near?

We know the end is now near because of Bible prophecy. The prophecies that the Bible foretold are coming true for the first time in 2000 years. 2000 years ago, the disciples of Jesus asked him "Tell us, When will these things be, and what will be the sign of your presence and of the conclusion of the system of things?(the end). Jesus responded: "For these things must take place, but the end is not yet."(Matt 24:3-6). Therefore, Jesus knew that the end of this system would not occur until the following prophecies took place. What were these prophecies? Jesus goes on to tell us these prophecies:

Matthew 24:7: "For nation will rise against nation and kingdom against kingdom."Up until recent times, war has been unparalleled. We have had more war and more casualties than any period of time put together. In the last 100 years, the earth has experienced World Wars I and II which casualties go over 100,000,000, the vietnam war, the Iraq war I and II (now), and the Falklands war. This does'nt include the uncountable civil wars in many countries including Africa. Also in the last century has been the invention of the nuclear bomb. Surely, if this world was to go on forever we would eventually destroy eachother with nuclear warheads - which God will not allow - which is why the system has to be brought to soon - very soon.

Matthew 24:7(latter): "And there will be food shortages and earthquakes in one place after another." This also has achieved record levels in history. Up to the 50% of the people on this planet live in poverty and struggle to have a few full meals a day, if any. If you look at the situation in Zimbabwe, where children are starving to death, you can really see that this situation is really coming to a crescendo and can't go anymore. As for earthquakes, there has been more destructive and more repetitive than any comparable time in human history (Tokyo, Mexico City, LA). When Jesus spoke these words, there were earthquakes, but none which could hold a candle to todays' ones.

When the above prophecies start happening, Jesus says "the end will come"(Matt 24:14). When Jesus spoke these prophecies they were some 2000 years before now. It would have been impossible to "predict" these things so far into the future! Could you tell me what the earth would be like in the year 4000? No way! So this shows that Jesus must have been given divine inspiration from God.

Also the prophecies of Jesus Christ collaberate with today's scientists. If you look at the consumption of oil, wood, water supply and also the pollution (ozone layer), the greenhouse effects, the destruction of wildlife, what conclusion do the scientists draw? Scientist say we have only have until 2025 to clean up our act, otherwise the earth will be permanently damaged. Some scientists say that the prediction of the year 2025 is too conservative and we have less time! Whatever the case, we have'nt got long.

The prophecies Jesus spoke in Matthew are just a few of the prophecies mentioned in the Bible, there are many more to support the case. If we look at the world around us, the end is not only near - but inevitable.

mrscarrdero said:
I don't think you are the only one...ask carrdero. Plus...patience is a vertue :D

I have a question...I always used to having JW come knocking on our door, but for some reason, we have been receiving phone calls for bible studies. When did they start this and why?
If they are ringing you against your consent and you have told them not to ring again, I find that hard to believe. However, if you say something to the extent of "I don't mind you ringing again" - then they probably will. Ringing people by phone is not something we do unless consent has been given. Did you give them your phone number? Because if you did, this probably explains it. We don't ring people out of the blue like we are salesman - we just simply don't do that and never have.

What did they say to you on the phone?

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
You have not been reading what I have been writing. The Bible itself say's that the Mosaic laws are no longer applicable - and that's why we don't follow them anymore. There is no other part of the Bible that does this - but only for the Mosaic law. By not following the Mosaic law, we are are following the Bible even more closely than most people, not disobeying it
Ok, I understand this point now.
</FONT>
Act 15:29 says: To keep abstaining from things sacrificed to idols and from blood and from things strangled and from fornication. If YOU carefully keep yourselves from these things, YOU will prosper. Good health to YOU!" Nowhere in this scripture does it refer to food consumption only, it is a full command to abstain altogether. Ask yourself this: Do you think that God after banning blood from food, would be happy for his servants to accept blood through a needle?!

Alright, but what about the other stuff? Are you vegetarians? Do you drink milk or eat eggs? If so, you have undoubtably eaten/drinken blood.

I have never heard of Zathutra, there is no reference to him in the Bible.

What about the other holy texts? They predict as much, or more then the bible. And at least one predicted planes and guns. Are these not valid too?

As for Nostradamus, I would not consider him "a prophet". Of the alleged 946 predictions attributed to Nostradamus, only about 70 are considered to have had some kind of fulfillment. That works out to less than a 7-percent success rate.
However, some are very specific, such as the one where he predicts that Napolean will be exiled to the island of Elba, even going so far as to use Napoleans symbol and the name of the island.

The God of the OT was not being "tyrannical", despite what it seems. The fact that the first born was favoured was not something that God set in motion, it was actually the local Israelite tradition at the time, among many other traditions. From God's point of view, he was not going to "change" the culture of his people, however, he was going "regulate" it so that it was a fair system. If you read the other passages of the OT, this "OT God" is the same God that makes sure the poor people have food to eat and makes sure slaves are treated fairly and are set free after seven years, among many other things.

What I mean is, why did he show such disdain for non-Israelites? Why did he favour one people over another? Especially if he is an all-loving God.

By the way, are you allowed to play such games as "Dungeons and Dragons"?