• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask about Jehovah's Witnesses

averageJOE

zombie
Our belief is that everyone who has died in the past, will receive a resurrection during Christs 1,000 year millennial reign. That means people such as Noah, Abraham, John the baptist, Alexander the great, Elvis Presley, ...people of all nations, past and present, will be resurrected at that time. However, for all who are alive during the battle of Armageddon, God will decide their individual fates. This is why it is important that we still obey God now...because if Armageddon comes tomorrow or next week or next year, whatever our attitude is toward God will be how he will judge us. If we are unworthy, we will not be permitted to live nor will we receive a resurrection.
Will people maintain their original memories after their resurrection?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Sadly, unscrupulous religious leaders have twisted and change the meaning of hell/grave to mean a terrible place of torment and fire...this is untruth at his worst...any church who continue to teach hell to be such should have sanctions imposed on it immediately and they should be barred from owning a bible :D

Hell is not a fearsome place where devils reside...it is a peaceful resting place for those who are awaiting a resurrection. :)
So if hell isn't a terrible place of torment, exactly what was the place where the rich man was tormented after death while Lazarus looked on from Heaven?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Will people maintain their original memories after their resurrection?

yes surely they will

the bible indicates that the life of the individual - the spirit - returns to God when we die. It is that spark of life that lives in Gods memory. It will be that same spark that he will use in the resurrected body.

and when we think about how specific an individuals DNA is, and how the genes dictate how a person looks, we can assume that God will rework the same dna into the new body he creates so that the person can look the same as they did before too. (without any defects they may have had in their original body of course)

tomato1236

Ninja Master
Are Jehovah's witnesses encouraged to pursue higher education, including sciences like biology, philosophy and psychology?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
So if hell isn't a terrible place of torment, exactly what was the place where the rich man was tormented after death while Lazarus looked on from Heaven?

that parable is an illustration...it was not a literal account

It can be seen to be an illustration by the hyperbol Jesus used when he said "the rich man asked for a drop of water for his tongue" to alleviate his suffering . If you were in a burning room, i think you'd be asking for more then 1 drop of water to alleviate the burning.

Also, it is incompatible that a God of Love would torment and burn people. We have the example of the ancient nations of who used to offer human sacrifices on the fire. God told the Isrealites never to do such a thing it was something detestable to him

Deut 12:29 “When Jehovah your God will cut off from before you the nations to whom you are going to dispossess them, ... after they have been annihilated from before you, and for fear you may inquire respecting their gods, saying, ‘How was it these nations used to serve their gods? And I, yes, I, will do the same way.’ 31 You must not do that way to Jehovah your God, for everything detestable to Jehovah that he does hate they have done to their gods, for even their sons and their daughters they regularly burn in the fire to their gods"

When the Isrealites turned to pagan worship of these gods, Jehovah condemned them because of the human sacrifices they were putting on the alter
Jeremiah 32:35 Furthermore, they built the high places of Ba′al that are in the valley of the son of Hin′nom, in order to make their sons and their daughters pass through [the fire] to Mo′lech, a thing that I did not command them, neither did it come up into my heart to do this detestable thing, for the purpose of making Judah sin.’

So it is completely contrary to what we know of Jehovah from the Hebrew scriptures. He would never approve of such a thing as burning someone in fire...not even the animals for sacrifice were allowed to suffer...they were killed before they were put on the alter so that they did not have to needlessly suffer. There is no way that God would do such a thing....the only god that enjoys such suffering is Gods enemy Satan...he is the instigator of such sacrifices and he loves to see mankind burn in hell which is why he keeps such teachings alive.

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Are Jehovah's witnesses encouraged to pursue higher education, including sciences like biology, philosophy and psychology?

I wouldnt say encouraged to do so, no.

We are encouraged to make a career of the ministry of God first and foremost. but in saying that, it doesnt mean that we cannot go to uni if we choose to. I have known a few JW's who have gone onto colleges or university to obtain degrees in various fields.

i personally know 1 witnesses who has done psychology... it put her $70,000 in debt and unable to get her diploma because she couldnt do the 400 hours of practical placement (she's a single mum with a fulltime job and couldnt take time off work)... so she feels that she wasted the past 4 years for nothing. She cant even get a job as a telephone counselor for groups like 'lifeline' because she doesnt have her stamped certificate and she passed every subject with honors and high distinctions.

Last edited:

averageJOE

zombie
yes surely they will

the bible indicates that the life of the individual - the spirit - returns to God when we die. It is that spark of life that lives in Gods memory. It will be that same spark that he will use in the resurrected body.

and when we think about how specific an individuals DNA is, and how the genes dictate how a person looks, we can assume that God will rework the same dna into the new body he creates so that the person can look the same as they did before too. (without any defects they may have had in their original body of course)
So if we retain our memories how would one go about living happily if certain loved ones are not or never resurected? Like you brought up Elvis, what about his memories of sex, drug use, and the pure enjoyment of being on stage? Or me. When I was in Iraq I missed beer every single day I was there. If I'm ressurected what happens to my memories of enjoying a beer?

confusedius

The Shadow
I feel like I should start a thread that reads:

If my mom was a proper and more devout Jehovah Witness I would have died as a healthy child after being cured from cancer because she refused a blood transfusion for her son.

What if a Jehovah Witness mother needs a C Section and loses enough blood that she needs some blood to be there for her child... God says let her die? God says use the rod?

I was a Jehovah Witness for most of my religious life and this belief that humans should die rather then accept a blood transfusion is not only immoral but is in my opinion criminal.

I was a Jehovah Witness for many years, growing up in the faith. I left because I couldn't hold the thoughts of an all-powerful God and a faith that finds stumbling blocks in cross/stake, boy scouts and countless other red herrings, together in my mind.

For me, the sadness is that essentially these were very good people. The JW faith is certainly not an armchair faith. You LIVE it every day, every moment. It has much to offer and many, many good points.

Unfortunately it is all to common that a good concept falls to minutia. I have seen it happen not just in religion but in many human endeavors. We defend to the death useless trivia, who knows why.

The film of Mr. Russell was startling to me, bringing so clearly to my mind that here was a man who created this in his mind. Like most religions, I imagine, but how clear this made it for me.

I could relate a number of sad true stories related to the above post. At the top for me is my grandmother, the only grandparent I ever knew, dying for need of a blood transfusion. She was convinced she had no other choice. A few years back, someone made that decision for me at a time I was unconscious, or I would be dead now.

It is a tough faith, but I just can't believe God intended it that way. How could a benevolent Creator ghost-write, if you will, a rather ambiguous instruction manual and then take humans, many of whom can't even read (and fewer reason), to task for what seem to be rather trivial issues. I will never buy into the Trinity, however...

James

p.s. thanks for that video!

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
So if we retain our memories how would one go about living happily if certain loved ones are not or never resurected?

we can be fairly certain that everyone who has died will be resurrected because Gods word tells us that all our sins are forgiven when we die, so everyone we may have known in the past will very likely be brought back. God will not bring back those who have committed unforgivable sin, but very few imperfect people actually do that...the far majority of mankind simply sin because it is inherent in us.

Like you brought up Elvis, what about his memories of sex, drug use, and the pure enjoyment of being on stage? Or me. When I was in Iraq I missed beer every single day I was there. If I'm ressurected what happens to my memories of enjoying a beer?

people will be resurrected back with the same character/personality/talents & interests they always had

They will be given the opportunity to learn about Jehovah, they will be given time to make an informed decision on whether they want him as their God and if they want to be a part of Gods cleansed earth and will be given time to make the needed adjustments. Many will reject him as they may have done in this life, but many will accept his offer.

there's nothing wrong with enjoying a beer...Jesus turned water into wine...im sure when you have a lifetime to perfect the art of beer making you'll be enjoying the best beer you've ever tasted ;)

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
And that truth did not need any other witnesses. His assertion was enough.

ok

so can you explain then why God had John the Baptist declaring the imminent arrival of the Messiah?

Why was John giving witness testimony that Jesus was the Son of God?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I could relate a number of sad true stories related to the above post. At the top for me is my grandmother, the only grandparent I ever knew, dying for need of a blood transfusion. She was convinced she had no other choice. A few years back, someone made that decision for me at a time I was unconscious, or I would be dead now.

It is a tough faith, but I just can't believe God intended it that way. How could a benevolent Creator ghost-write, if you will, a rather ambiguous instruction manual and then take humans, many of whom can't even read (and fewer reason), to task for what seem to be rather trivial issues. I will never buy into the Trinity, however...

James

p.s. thanks for that video!

Hi Confusdius,

I appreciate your comments to this subject, i know its a difficult one for all of us. I just wanted to ask what you think about those who die for their faith by other circumstances

for example, Jehovahs witnesses in Germany during the 2nd world war chose death over joining the nazi's...all they had to do was sign a piece of paper and they could be released from the concentration camps (you likely know this)
There were many JW's who refused to sign hitlers release form, and as a result died in the camps, what do you think of their decision to die rather then give up their faith?

diosangpastol

Dios - ang - Pastol
ok

so can you explain then why God had John the Baptist declaring the imminent arrival of the Messiah?

Why was John giving witness testimony that Jesus was the Son of God?

The Lord Jesus gave several testimonies to the Pharisees who refused to believe in Him.

1. The Father bore testimony of Christ (John 5:37).
2. The Old Testament bore testimony of Christ (Luke 24:44).
3. Abraham bore testimony of Christ (John 8:56).
4. Moses bore testimony of Christ (John 5:46).
5. David bore testimony to Christ (Luke 20:41-44).
6. John the Baptist bore testimony of Christ (John 1:15).
7. Christ bore testimony of Himself (John 8:14).

These Pharisees had an abundant amount of evidence given to them by Christ about Himself. When one breaks it down the testimony comes from the greatest Being (God), from the greatest Writings (The Old Testament), from the greatest patriarchs (Abraham, Moses and David) and from the greatest prophet (John cf. Luke 7:28).

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Has that JWs organisation ever taught anything that was scripturally incorrect, and later admitted it was so?

yes sure

the understanding of truth is progressive... God only tells us what we need to know so if we speculate on some details, which has occurred in the past, then we have to readjust those things when more light is shed on them.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
The Lord Jesus gave several testimonies to the Pharisees who refused to believe in Him.

1. The Father bore testimony of Christ (John 5:37).
2. The Old Testament bore testimony of Christ (Luke 24:44).
3. Abraham bore testimony of Christ (John 8:56).
4. Moses bore testimony of Christ (John 5:46).
5. David bore testimony to Christ (Luke 20:41-44).
6. John the Baptist bore testimony of Christ (John 1:15).
7. Christ bore testimony of Himself (John 8:14).

These Pharisees had an abundant amount of evidence given to them by Christ about Himself. When one breaks it down the testimony comes from the greatest Being (God), from the greatest Writings (The Old Testament), from the greatest patriarchs (Abraham, Moses and David) and from the greatest prophet (John cf. Luke 7:28).

John the baptist gave witness about Jesus.
then people who were cured by Jesus gave witness about him
And Gods voice from heaven gave witness on 3 separate occasions about Jesus
2 demons gave witness about Jesus when they called him the 'son of God'
The angel Gabriel gave witness to Mary about who her unborn child was
Angels appeared to the shepherds in the field to proclaim Jesus birth

It wasnt only Jesus giving witness about himself...many people did so.

diosangpastol

Dios - ang - Pastol
John the baptist gave witness about Jesus.
then people who were cured by Jesus gave witness about him
And Gods voice from heaven gave witness on 3 separate occasions about Jesus
2 demons gave witness about Jesus when they called him the 'son of God'
The angel Gabriel gave witness to Mary about who her unborn child was
Angels appeared to the shepherds in the field to proclaim Jesus birth

It wasnt only Jesus giving witness about himself...many people did so.

No kidding! That is why a listed several in my last post.
But to claim that His witness was alone to be accepted is a claim that He is God...somethig which the heretical Watchtower will not allow.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
No kidding! That is why a listed several in my last post.
But to claim that His witness was alone to be accepted is a claim that He is God...somethig which the heretical Watchtower will not allow.

i think you have the context wrong

anyone who stands up in court is asked to enter a plea... to assume that, by him entering a plea, makes him God is ludicrous

averageJOE

zombie
we can be fairly certain that everyone who has died will be resurrected because Gods word tells us that all our sins are forgiven when we die, so everyone we may have known in the past will very likely be brought back.
Does that include those JW's who have had a blood transfusions?

Mr Orange

Meditate
I feel like I should start a thread that reads:

If my mom was a proper and more devout Jehovah Witness I would have died as a healthy child after being cured from cancer because she refused a blood transfusion for her son.

What if a Jehovah Witness mother needs a C Section and loses enough blood that she needs some blood to be there for her child... God says let her die? God says use the rod?

I was a Jehovah Witness for most of my religious life and this belief that humans should die rather then accept a blood transfusion is not only immoral but is in my opinion criminal.

(I use to be a JW myself) on the blood 'issue' JW eat meat therefore take blood. Am sure there is a more indepth scripture quote explaining not to eat (take) blood (not in Acts) To me there is no difference if someone eats meat why not take a transfusion-if needed? (meat has blood in it and always will have no matter how much you cook it)I understand that 'Jehovah' explained to Noah that after the flood it was ok to eat meat. Yet in the 10 commandments 'Thy shall not kill' Doesn't say 'Thy shall not kill unless it's an animal for food.' It states 'Thy shall not kill' If you pay for meat your paying for someone to kill an animal for food, for taste, for unnecessary death. Can you see Jesus agreeing for that? On the other hand can you see Jesus tooking into a massive mix meat dinner? To obstain from blood means being vegy, something that not all JWs are.

Letting someone die if they need a blood transfusion is a terriable act in my view. Yet all JWs would dread to come to that choice or to be in that situation.

Sorry about the rant :)

Last edited:

Mr Orange

Meditate
yes sure

the understanding of truth is progressive... God only tells us what we need to know so if we speculate on some details, which has occurred in the past, then we have to readjust those things when more light is shed on them.

Just like the false predictions in the past? You do relize what Deuteronmy 18:20-21 says about this.