• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask about Jehovah's Witnesses

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
"People are people so why should it be...." So goes the song, at any rate. April 17 is the date for the Memorial this year I understand. Any who wish to have a look at this group who call themselves 'Witnesses of the Most High' should consider this invitation to respectfully observe this most significant occasion. I have attended and it was eye opening.

(By the way, I was born on April 17. Coincidentally that day coincided with the Easter Celebration of popular Christendom in that year on that day. This year that day falls on the actual Memorial of the offering of the Christ as ransom sacrifice. Interesting!)
Other posters should know that he wasn't born on that day. He was hatched! Doc is a reptilian....a member
of a master race of aliens who live among us as a forbidden pleasure. The fact that they haven't become our
overlords indicates that they're no threat though. They even help lift humanity out of the doldrums.

Last edited:

Jensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensen
Thanks for the reply, actually I was asking why women can not be leaders and lead a Sunday meeting? It is always men.

the congregation is led by men because that is the way God wants it. Men are good leaders, they always have been and always will be. The biblical precedent is seen in the headship arrangement:
1Cor11:3 But I want YOU to know that the head of every man is the Christ; in turn the head of a woman is the man; in turn the head of the Christ is God.
They may be good as religious leaders, but I don't think they are otherwise, look at how poorly most of the countries are lead, and most other things too.

Quote:
So then it actually isn't a requirement, if one can be inactive. You say that they are not disfellowshipped, yet they likely aren't received as well by others in the congregation if inactive?

I wouldn't say they aren't received as well. Every member of the congregation is viewed as equal no matter how much time we spend in the preaching work. But inactive members generally stop coming to meetings and associating with the congregation...its not because the congregation stop associating with them though. The elders keep contact with inactive members and encourage them to come back...or they may even assign a member of the congregation to visit the person from time to time or help them with some difficulty they may be having. I can remember we had an incapacitated older sister in our congregation who never left her house and the congregation had an arrangement where two or three would sit with her for the meetings and listen in over the phone with her. This was because she was ill and housebound but still a valued member of the congregation.

It would be nice if this was always the case, but alas it isn't. The couple I know were inactive, baptized JWs, were not disfellowshipped or disassociated by the elders, yet they went nearly two decades without a visit from those of their congregation, so I just wondered why. There had been no disagreement either.

Quote:

I've had bible studies with JWs, and the studies went agonizingly slow, and after a year and a half they still never mentioned coming to the Kingdom Hall. Is there a certain length of time that one takes a bible study before they can come to, or are ready to attend services?

Jensen

wow, im very surprised at that. There is no length of time...we invite people who are not studying to come to meetings all the time. Perhaps they were waiting for you to indicate that you wanted to come along to the meeting, or didnt want to come across as pushy? You dont need an invitation to come to a meeting, they are open to the public.
Perhaps they were waiting for me to indicate that I wanted to come? How was I to come to realize that? One can't read minds. One would think that after a 1/12 years that they would have brought it up themselves? How are non members, the public, to know that it is open to all? I had never heard that, that I recall.

And by the way, the baby polar bear was put on only because I thought he was cute. It was not an expression of my feelings. Thanks for the reply. Jensen

You might be interested in coming along to the memorial which will be held in April. I can get you some information for a kingdom hall in your area if you like, or you can request someone to contact you from your local kingdom hall from this email

Jensen

[/color][/b]the congregation is led by men because that is the way God wants it. Men are good leaders, they always have been and always will be. The biblical precedent is seen in the headship arrangement:
1Cor11:3 But I want YOU to know that the head of every man is the Christ; in turn the head of a woman is the man; in turn the head of the Christ is God.

[/color][/b]I wouldn't say they aren't received as well. Every member of the congregation is viewed as equal no matter how much time we spend in the preaching work. But inactive members generally stop coming to meetings and associating with the congregation...its not because the congregation stop associating with them though. The elders keep contact with inactive members and encourage them to come back...or they may even assign a member of the congregation to visit the person from time to time or help them with some difficulty they may be having. I can remember we had an incapacitated older sister in our congregation who never left her house and the congregation had an arrangement where two or three would sit with her for the meetings and listen in over the phone with her. This was because she was ill and housebound but still a valued member of the congregation.

[/color]

wow, im very surprised at that. There is no length of time...we invite people who are not studying to come to meetings all the time. Perhaps they were waiting for you to indicate that you wanted to come along to the meeting, or didnt want to come across as pushy? You dont need an invitation to come to a meeting, they are open to the public.

You might be interested in coming along to the memorial which will be held in April. I can get you some information for a kingdom hall in your area if you like, or you can request someone to contact you from your local kingdom hall from this email

Hi Pegg,

Thanks for the website. :) It seems like a good place to get some answers. About 15 years ago I went to a memorial, but I don't remember anything about it other than going, and seeing the people, and the friend that I went with. What do JWs actually do at the memorial? What takes place?

There is a book on that site that I might like. Can it be mailed to me, or can it only be picked up at a Kingdom Hall? Thanks...

Jensen

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
They may be good as religious leaders, but I don't think they are otherwise, look at how poorly most of the countries are lead, and most other things too.

i agree that there are some bad men out there, but we can't paint everyone with the same brush. Personally, I like that men take the lead...especially when they are men with integrity & humility.

men are good leaders, they are logical thinkers, they can judge matters without letting their emotions get the better of them....and when they are trained in the 'mind of Christ' they are especially remarkable individuals.

It would be nice if this was always the case, but alas it isn't. The couple I know were inactive, baptized JWs, were not disfellowshipped or disassociated by the elders, yet they went nearly two decades without a visit from those of their congregation, so I just wondered why. There had been no disagreement either.

its very hard to comment on individual cases because i dont know any of the circumstances. But if someone stops going to meetings and associating with the congregation, then i dont think its the members of the congregation who are responsible for that. We all have our own load to carry and at some point we all have to take responsibility for ourselves, our actions & attitudes.

and of course im not saying that congregations are perfect either. Put a group of people together in any situation and you will always have some problems arise because we are all imperfect people. We just have to learn to forgive each other and remember why we are there.

Perhaps they were waiting for me to indicate that I wanted to come? How was I to come to realize that? One can't read minds. One would think that after a 1/12 years that they would have brought it up themselves? How are non members, the public, to know that it is open to all? I had never heard that, that I recall.

again, i cant' answer that for you...

:shrug:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Hi Pegg,

Thanks for the website. :) It seems like a good place to get some answers. About 15 years ago I went to a memorial, but I don't remember anything about it other than going, and seeing the people, and the friend that I went with. What do JWs actually do at the memorial? What takes place?

glad you found it useful.

The memorial is the observance of the 'Lords Evening Meal' or the 'last supper' On the night before Jesus arrest he celebrated the Passover with his apostles and passed around the bread and wine as he instituted the new covenant with them.

We remember that event every year on the date corresponding to Nisan 14. We pass the bread and wine around and those who are born again, anointed, eat and drink...the rest of us are observers only.

There is a book on that site that I might like. Can it be mailed to me, or can it only be picked up at a Kingdom Hall? Thanks...

whichever you prefer.

If you want it posted, Pm me with a po box or address and i'll send it out to you.

Ronald

Hello Pegg;
What is your oppinion of my tagline?
Does it stand alone or do you have some more words that are needed to stand?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Hello Pegg;
What is your oppinion of my tagline?
Does it stand alone or do you have some more words that are needed to stand?

do you mean the scripture in your signature?

Our view is that it takes more then 'belief' alone. It was actually James who expressed this opinion that belief alone is not sufficient: Jas 2:19 “You believe there is one God, do you? You are doing quite well. And yet the demons believe and shudder.”

something more was needed

Ronald

do you mean the scripture in your signature?

Our view is that it takes more then 'belief' alone. It was actually James who expressed this opinion that belief alone is not sufficient: Jas 2:19 “You believe there is one God, do you? You are doing quite well. And yet the demons believe and shudder.”

something more was needed
I myself, would rather take the Word of God rather than a brother!
It stands alone. The "Word of God" the Living Torah!
I am also glad that Y H V H doesn't send fire down from heaven anymore, as you might be just ashes. Saying that Yeshua's words were not sufficiant.
Well dear one, I take him at his word, demons are never called.
My next favorite;
Be imitators of me, as I am of Messiah.
Imitate Yeshua and keep the commandments.
Shalom u'vrachot

diosangpastol

Dios - ang - Pastol
Jesus answered and said to them, "Even if I testify about Myself, My testimony is true, for I know where I came from and where I am going; but you do not know where I come from or where I am going (John 8:14).

The Lord Jesus stated, "If I alone testify about Myself, My testimony is not true" (John 5:31). This was in response to the Jews who believed He was only a man. The Jehovah's Witnesses are just like the unregenerate Jews that the Lord Jesus spoke to in John 5 in that both groups insist that the Lord Jesus is only a man and not God as well.
The Lord Jesus stated, "Even if I testify about Myself, My testimony is true" (John 8:14). This means that He is the highest authority (God) and thus does not depend on any other to substantiate His assertion.
*ONLY* God's testimony by itself was to be accepted - all others needed at least two or three witnesses (Deuteronomy 17:6). The fact that the Lord Jesus claimed that His testimony by itself was to be accepted apart from any other witnesses in John 8:14 proves that He is God.

Thus the JW doctrine that the Lord Jesus is not God runs contrary to what John 8:14 teaches.?

Ronald

The JW belief that Yeshua was a man sent by God is just what Yeshua says, if you don't believe what he says, you have a problem.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Jesus answered and said to them, "Even if I testify about Myself, My testimony is true, for I know where I came from and where I am going; but you do not know where I come from or where I am going (John 8:14).

The Lord Jesus stated, "If I alone testify about Myself, My testimony is not true" (John 5:31). This was in response to the Jews who believed He was only a man. The Jehovah's Witnesses are just like the unregenerate Jews that the Lord Jesus spoke to in John 5 in that both groups insist that the Lord Jesus is only a man and not God as well.
The Lord Jesus stated, "Even if I testify about Myself, My testimony is true" (John 8:14). This means that He is the highest authority (God) and thus does not depend on any other to substantiate His assertion.
*ONLY* God's testimony by itself was to be accepted - all others needed at least two or three witnesses (Deuteronomy 17:6). The fact that the Lord Jesus claimed that His testimony by itself was to be accepted apart from any other witnesses in John 8:14 proves that He is God.

Thus the JW doctrine that the Lord Jesus is not God runs contrary to what John 8:14 teaches.?

thankyou for bringing this question up

Do we think Jesus was just a man? Good question. The answer is 'no we dont'

We understand that Jesus is the Son of God, he was a powerful spirit son who resided in heaven before he came to earth. So we certainly do believe that Jesus was and is a divine being. He existed in Gods form, he was originally a spirit like his Father but he had his life transferred to the womb of Mary for the purpose of living as a man and dying as a man. Upon his resurrection he returned to the powerful spirit that he had previously been.

Do we believe that he is the God of the Hebrew bible, YHWH? No. Jehovah is the Almighty God whereas Jesus is his 'firstborn of all creation'... Did Jesus say he was equal with God? No. "the father is greater then I am", "I cannot do a single thing of my own initiative", "Concerning that day and hour, nobody knows, neither the Son nor the angels, but only the Father knows"
We take his words to mean what he says - he was not claiming to be God Almighty, he openly acknowledged that his Father was a different individual to himself.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
is there an agent of temptation?

my understanding is that the only 'agent' is ourselves and our own selfish desires

If you form a longing/desire for something, the likelihood is that if an opportunity arises for the particular desire you have, then it may lead to sin....if you let it.

We all have a choice to reject or accept whatever we personally find tempting. Does that make sense?

“But each one is tried by being drawn out and enticed by his own desire. Then the desire, when it has become fertile, gives birth to sin; in turn, sin, when it has been accomplished, brings forth death.” Jas. 1:14, 15

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
not really...which comes first the sin or the temptation?

temptation is not an objective thing, its totally subjective...so it will be different things to different people. We are only tempted by what we personally desire. Having the desire is not a willful sin, but chasing the desire and capturing it is.

Thats why James says "...the desire, when it has become fertile, gives birth to sin"

If we allow our desires to 'become fertile' we have sinned. If we fight our wrong desires by not feeding them & chasing them, then we can avoid falling into temptation. This is why we cannot separate temptation/sin/desire...we must understand how they are linked if we are to succeed in combating sin

But frankly, we already sin simply by having the wrong desire...although God will not hold that against us, he will judge us if we 'act' on our wrong desires.

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
how do we know when we have sinned?

If you know Gods laws and standards, then your own conscience will accuse you when you do something contrary to them. For example, if you know that it is wrong to use abusing speech, but you do it anyway...then your conscience will tell you that you shouldn't do it.

Sometimes we sin without realizing it...these sins are not held against us. But the willful sin is what we must avoid.

diosangpastol

Dios - ang - Pastol
thankyou for bringing this question up

Do we think Jesus was just a man? Good question. The answer is 'no we dont'

We understand that Jesus is the Son of God, he was a powerful spirit son who resided in heaven before he came to earth. So we certainly do believe that Jesus was and is a divine being. He existed in Gods form, he was originally a spirit like his Father but he had his life transferred to the womb of Mary for the purpose of living as a man and dying as a man. Upon his resurrection he returned to the powerful spirit that he had previously been.

Do we believe that he is the God of the Hebrew bible, YHWH? No. Jehovah is the Almighty God whereas Jesus is his 'firstborn of all creation'... Did Jesus say he was equal with God? No. "the father is greater then I am", "I cannot do a single thing of my own initiative", "Concerning that day and hour, nobody knows, neither the Son nor the angels, but only the Father knows"
We take his words to mean what he says - he was not claiming to be God Almighty, he openly acknowledged that his Father was a different individual to himself.

Thanks for ignoring John 8:14. :(

Pegg, do JWs have any current end of world aka end of wickedness dates, since the previous ones proved false.

Also, if say that time has not arrived in 50 years (for example), would that not undermine the JW faith?

And just to add, I don't fully understand the doctrine of 144 000, can you explain it?