• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask about Jehovah's Witnesses

Inky

I have something I've been curious about. I've seen quite a few JW missionaries, and unless memory escapes me they've all been men. Are women not allowed to do the door-to-door work, or does it just not appeal to them as much for some reason?

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Inky said:
I have something I've been curious about. I've seen quite a few JW missionaries, and unless memory escapes me they've all been men. Are women not allowed to do the door-to-door work, or does it just not appeal to them as much for some reason?

I've seen female Jws out and about knocking doors, and I read a book "held by the watchtower set free by Christ" that lady was a pioneer if i remember right, in any case she did loads of door to door witnessing.

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
WitnessofJah said:
I think you're confusing this teaching with the Mormons. The Mormons believe something along those lines, but definitley not Jehovah's Witnesses. In fact, we welcome any person from any ethnic background to join us. Never in our history have we discriminated against anybody.

The word discriminate means this from webster's dict.\Dis*crim"i*nate\, v. t. [imp. & p. p.
{Discriminated}; p. pr. & vb. n. {Discriminating}.]
To set apart as being different; to mark as different; to
separate from another by discerning differences; to
distinguish.

As your position regarding discrimination may be true in the context of this thread regarding races, however there is a contridiction according to the true definition of this word regarding the JW views towards the Jesus,the Holy Spirit,the resurrection,the church.
At least from a Christian's view and knowledge of the bible,
1)Jesus did not rise from the dead in his physical body, Awake! July 22,1973,p. 4".
2)Jesus' ransom sacrifice did not include Adam, Let God be True, p. 119.
3)There is no Trinity, Let God be True, p. 100-101; Make Sure of All Things, p.386.
4)The Holy Spirit is a force, not alive, Reasoning from the Scriptures, 1985, pp.
406-407.

5)JW claim to be the only channel of God's truth, The Watchtower, Feb. 15,
1981, p. 19.

6)Only their church members will be saved, The Watchtower, Feb, 15, 1979, p. 30.
7)Good works are necessary for salvation, Studies in the Scriptures, Vol. 1,
pp. 150, 152

I guess what i am saying is the greater discrimination is in the opposing views JW have with the Christian view taken from the scriptures

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
WitnessofJah said:
a) Hell (a fiery burning place of torment) does not exist - it is symbolic.
b) The scripture is not saying that. In cunjuction and back-up of many other scriptures, the unrighteous will not enter the Messianic reign.

What book or doctrine are you quoting from regarding this ,... truth as you see it.
It is easy for me to say that hell is not this or that from books other than the word of God or repeat what I was told by my leadership at church,but should we take your word and the interpretation of the other books the JW use or the word of God

Could you please tell me what exactly is this place that Jesus refers to several times in the gospels,regarding hell.
What was his point if not to indicate there is such a place of torment.
John talks about in revelations,hell may not be literal fire we are led to perceive,maybe just regret,separation and misery,guilt,remorse,of not being able to enter into the presence of God's kingdom,but would that not be enough to indicate a form of torment.

Here are a few verses to think about
Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
Rev 2:11 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.
Rev 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
Luk 16:23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
Mar 9:45 And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
Mat 23:33 [Ye] serpents, [ye] generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?

Where these all just myth's to scare his listening audience,Ithink not,but....hey!
Jesus here in Mat 23:33 was talking to the high ranking religious leaders,,WOW!!!!

Pah

Uber all member
roli said:
As your position regarding discrimination may be true in the context of this thread regarding races, however there is a contridiction according to the true definition of this word regarding the JW views towards the Jesus,the Holy Spirit,the resurrection,the church.
At least from a Christian's view and knowledge of the bible,
....I guess what i am saying is the greater discrimination is in the opposing views JW have with the Christian view taken from the scriptures
Now that's discrimination. To say your side is right and theirs is wrong is the stuff of discrimination.

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
Pah said:
Now that's discrimination. To say your side is right and theirs is wrong is the stuff of discrimination.
Excuse me there pah, but do you see my opinion here ,look back, I quoted enough scripture contridicting there books and beliefs.
It was His personal quote that was contrary to the apparent biblical scriptures that they profess to believe and follow,if it was my opinion and not backed up by the word then this is discrimination in the highest degree.

My opinion was absent here,if anything it was a comparison of scriptures that I emphazised

Booko

Deviled Hen
New Life said:
I've seen female Jws out and about knocking doors, and I read a book "held by the watchtower set free by Christ" that lady was a pioneer if i remember right, in any case she did loads of door to door witnessing.

I've only been visited by female JWs. The last time was during a Baha'i study circle at our house. We invited them in for a bit and we all said a round of prayers and talked for a bit. They were quite nice.

groovyable

Hellooooo Roli! i think its time to do a bit of research about hell, well done for useing the bible to back your believes all credit to you! If you wanna no the truth about hell, i'd advise you to get your Bible and follow the link! below if the link doesnt not work, read below the link!!!!!!

http://www.watchtower.org/e/20020715/article_02.htm

i hope this link helps, ive clicked on it and it doesnt come up, it might be because of my computer... if it doesnt work, go on www.watchtower.org then click on 'is there really a devil' then click on ' what has happened with hell fire' then click on 'what is really hell' thats the link am trying to show you. Hope ive helped.

all the best
Maybe i'l see you in hell hehe!:fork:

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
WitnessofJah said:
First of all, this is my first post and am greatful for the opportunity given to me by this site to express myself and answer questions.

Now this thread is directed to all those who have misconceptions and misunderstandings regarding what we believe in. If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them.

The best way to benefit from this thread is to only ask questions if you sincerely want to know the answer. Please don't spam the thread simply to waste everyone's time.

With that out the way, feel free to fire away. :)
If you are Jehovah's witness than what are born again(Christians) christ followers,there is only one truth,one Jesus,one lord, one God,one spirit.
Why are their so many divisions or sects claiming, professing followers of Christ.
The JW Christ is viewed differently in their books than that of the bible.
The gospel they profess to follow is so different than that of the gospel accounts of the bible,I think you will agree.
Who is right.
Gal 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
groovyable said:
Hellooooo Roli! i think its time to do a bit of research about hell, well done for useing the bible to back your believes all credit to you! If you wanna no the truth about hell, i'd advise you to get your Bible and follow the link! below if the link doesnt not work, read below the link!!!!!!

http://www.watchtower.org/e/20020715/article_02.htm

i hope this link helps, ive clicked on it and it doesnt come up, it might be because of my computer... if it doesnt work, go on www.watchtower.org then click on 'is there really a devil' then click on ' what has happened with hell fire' then click on 'what is really hell' thats the link am trying to show you. Hope ive helped.

all the best
Maybe i'l see you in hell hehe!:fork:
Maybe what should peek your interest more than my view ,read where I got my views from and why are they ,being from the bible, so different than yours,does that not interest you somewhat

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
WitnessofJah said:
First of all, the Bible condemns violence many times in the Bible. For example: Psalms 11:5 says: "Jehovah himself examines the righteous one as well as the wicked one,and anyone loving violence His soul certainly hates."So this verse actually says that 'anyone loving violence, God certainly hates'. With that in mind, do you think that god would actually approve of boxing, wrestling, or for that matter, any type of violence? God is not one to be mocked, and if people continue to do these things despite what his word says, they will have to answer for their error with no excuses when the time comes.
I don't know if this was ever addressed, but if the above is true, are Jehovah's Witnesses pacifists, then?

-- Do the Jehovah's Witnesses take a 'conscientious objector' stance during times of war?
-- And how is, or how would, a situation of [physical] attack be handled?
-- How is child discipline handled?

groovyable

roli said:
Maybe what should peek your interest more than my view ,read where I got my views from and why are they ,being from the bible, so different than yours,does that not interest you somewhat
Of course it interests me, a lot, yet it doesnt make sense to me personally.
I asked about hell etc at my old church... i use to believe in hell myself, then i started to question Would a loving God send someone to burn in a place of torment forever, just because say.. that a child was brought up by her parents as a Hindu, then the child dies at a young age. In the church they teach that the child would burn forever in a firey pit which you claim to speak of, just because the child did not 'worship' the true God.

i'l look into again, i hope you look into my view to.. the rightious and unrightious will inherit the earth Act 24:15 psalms 37:11 pslam 72;16

x x x:)

cardero

Citizen Mod
groovyable said:
I asked about hell etc at my old church... i use to believe in hell myself, then i started to question Would a loving God send someone to burn in a place of torment forever,
Groovyable, would the same loving God who would not create a hell pass a judgment day or devastating Armageddon as explained in the following passages?

Ezekiel 9:6
6 Old man, young man and virgin and little child and women YOU should kill off—to a ruination. But to any man upon whom there is the mark do not go near, and from my sanctuary YOU should start.” So they started with the old men that were before the house.

1 John 2:16
16 because everything in the world—the desire of the flesh and the desire of the eyes and the showy display of one’s means of life—does not originate with the Father, but originates with the world. 17 Furthermore, the world is passing away and so is its desire, but he that does the will of God remains forever.

Matthew 25:45,46
45 Then he will answer them with the words, ‘Truly I say to YOU, To the extent that YOU did not do it to one of these least ones, YOU did not do it to me.’ 46 And these will depart into everlasting cutting-off, but the righteous ones into everlasting life.”

2 Thess 1:7-9
7 but, to YOU who suffer tribulation, relief along with us at the revelation of the Lord Jesus from heaven with his powerful angels 8 in a flaming fire, as he brings vengeance upon those who do not know God and those who do not obey the good news about our Lord Jesus. 9 These very ones will undergo the judicial punishment of everlasting destruction from before the Lord and from the glory of his strength,

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
groovyable said:
I asked about hell etc at my old church... i use to believe in hell myself, then i started to question Would a loving God send someone to burn in a place of torment forever, just because say.. that a child was brought up by her parents as a Hindu, then the child dies at a young age. In the church they teach that the child would burn forever in a firey pit which you claim to speak of, just because the child did not 'worship' the true God.

i'l look into again, i hope you look into my view to.. the rightious and unrightious will inherit the earth Act 24:15 psalms 37:11 pslam 72;16

x x x:)
I appreciate your question and interest and can not say what God will use to judge a child say before they are capable of comprehending right from wrong.
The word of God says unless you are born again (spiritually) you cannot enter heaven.
However I can say the bible is clear that man has had God manifest himself to them through creation,conscience,foreknowledge,his word and preaching or proclaimation of the gospel and man will be without excuse on that day.
I must believe his mercy and compassion on children who are beyond the age of understanding or comprehending these means and in such an enviroment as you have mentioned is greater than a person who has known the truth as it was revealed to them in one of the above mentioned.
1Cr 6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

groovyable

Hello

The Faithful Dicreet Slave, which is mentioned in Matthew 24;42-46 are ment to feed Gods servants on the earth in the 'last days'. Yet they have propheted the end of the system loads of times for example 1899,1914,1915,1918,1922,1923,especially 1925!..March the 1st 'millians shall never die' by Joesph Rutherford and then he published a newspaper artical 'the world has ended' 1931,1968 and 1975 plus they also have said that Jesus came to earth in 1914, the 'Faithful Discreet Slave ' first said that he was coming phyical, then when they noticed it didint happen.. they then said wait a min Jesus did come yet invisable.......yet the bible teaches in Matthew 24;28 that Jesus would come again yet everyone would know, not just a group such as Jehovah witnesses. plus the WTS claims that the 'Faithful Discreet Slave' claims to be Gods organisation and to function for his purpose.

When i sit in the local Kingdom hall all i can think of is Deuteronomy 18;20... this scripture makes me think of these past prophets which the WTS has ingaged to publish. Ive talked to the elders and to be honest they dont no much about the history of the religion. This topic has made me very aware, i dont like the fact the JWs can not question the WTS authority without being shunned... maybe because that the WTS is trying to hide its history.

Do you have any explenation why the Faithful Dicreet Slave made such claims and please dont use the excuse of the 'brighter light' that explanation is to vage..

Plus what rights do this faithful class of 'anoited' decide who else is going to heaven, the elder i talk to just says 'we just know, because they want to go to heaven because they relize they have a job to do up there'. ( Surely God descides who go to heaven, not the 'faithful anointed christians'

Many thanks

xxx

BM5

Sorry if I will be repeating anything but 42 pages is alot to read through.

Heard about JW sect for a long time now and know many of their beliefs that are based on a unique interpetation of the scriptures.

So:
1. How did your group develope these beliefs ? Do you have a prophet ?
I read years ago your sect started in New York with 50 members and is that where these beliefs came from ? Was it like a dicussion and a vote ? Majority rule type thing ?

2. Have here a recent handout from the local JW group which is predicting the end of false religions and claiming your is the best ( only ? ) choice based on a book called the Holocaust Politics. Don't you think quoting this kind of support as proof of your being the true faith is a little too much grandstanding ? For instance if you are the true witnesses of the one and only true God why doesn't He point the finger at you and give all the rest of us the chance to take it or leave it ? As far as I am concerned there has never been anything coming from God to the human race to support your claim. Correct me if I am wrong ok ?

3. Have you got a complete hit list to publish of all the false religions ?

4. The Catholic Church is certainly guilty of the cover-up of the sexual misconduct of some of its priests but I saw a program claiming the same in your organization. Now having read briefly the above post regarding this issue if what you say is true then your group would naturally be seeking recourse and justification through the courts. Is this the case ? Are you suing the producers of what you claim is defamatory material ?

groovyable

BM5 said:
Sorry if I will be repeating anything but 42 pages is alot to read through.

Heard about JW sect for a long time now and know many of their beliefs that are based on a unique interpetation of the scriptures.

So:
1. How did your group develope these beliefs ? Do you have a prophet ?
I read years ago your sect started in New York with 50 members and is that where these beliefs came from ? Was it like a dicussion and a vote ? Majority rule type thing ?

2. Have here a recent handout from the local JW group which is predicting the end of false religions and claiming your is the best ( only ? ) choice based on a book called the Holocaust Politics. Don't you think quoting this kind of support as proof of your being the true faith is a little too much grandstanding ? For instance if you are the true witnesses of the one and only true God why doesn't He point the finger at you and give all the rest of us the chance to take it or leave it ? As far as I am concerned there has never been anything coming from God to the human race to support your claim. Correct me if I am wrong ok ?

3. Have you got a complete hit list to publish of all the false religions ?

4. The Catholic Church is certainly guilty of the cover-up of the sexual misconduct of some of its priests but I saw a program claiming the same in your organization. Now having read briefly the above post regarding this issue if what you say is true then your group would naturally be seeking recourse and justification through the courts. Is this the case ? Are you suing the producers of what you claim is defamatory material ?
Hey there, i'l try to answer your questions, yet am not a baptized JW yet just a Bible student (been one for 2 years)... the best place to find your answers is www.watchtower.org yet all of our believes are from the Bible. i would argue that Abel and Cain were the first JWs seen as though God said 'you are my witnesses' yet the modern day religion as you know as the Jehovah Witnesses started in the late 1800s by Charles Taze Russel yet before him there was a group called Bible Students, the religion itself has progressed and changed over the years as the understanding of the bible has enlightened us. They are organised by the Faithful discreet slave whom help to publish the Good News around the earth.

There is no prophet... we dont have a hit list what so ever! yet say if i was muslim wouldnt i believe that that religion is the 100% truth if i didnt then i'd be looking into other religions..and if i believed it was 100% right i would believe that other religions were wrong.. wouldnt i ? and wouldnt i want to share it and tell everyone about the true religion? well thats what Jehovah Witnesses are doing..

i dought it very much the the WTTS is sueing producers of the program, because i dought they care... because the media knocks most religions and if it isnt the media it would be some anti-website... i might be wrong, yet it wouldnt suprise me.

And dont you think that sexual conduct props happens in every religion ? its not just in religious groups it in peoples home wheather its in a religious house hold are not. Yet i wouldnt judge the whole religion just because its ment to have obuses in them. Am sure the police would get involved... or it would be reported. If i was you, i'd go to your local kingdom hall to find out for yourself, what it is really like, what the people are like, what they teach etc..

BM5

Abel is the first just martyr and Cain was a poor witness for God.
Well Abel didn't last too long thanks to his murderous brother so it seems a little unreasonable on your part to associate yourself with all that.

So what is your take on the allegations against Russel and Rutherford, were they not charged with fraud ?

I guess you mean your understanding of what is true is still evolving ? In that case how can anyone take as gospel what you say today if it is going to change with more time and more enlightenment ?

What exactly is this " Faithful discreet slave "

So who or whom has made or makes the interpetation of scripture for your group ?
Specificlly let the example of who you say Jesus Christ is. According to the interpetation of various verses ( which you don't need to repeat ) your group has come to the conclusion that Jesus Christ is Saint Michael the Archangel. The question is " who decided that , who made this interpetation and then made it an item of belief for the JW group ???? "

You say "the understanding of the bible enlightens us ": Who exactly recieves this enlightenment ? Everyone ? Elders only ? One leader ?

It is your hand out claiming the end of false religions which obviously excludes you. So just for the sake of less argument the hit list is everybody outside the JW's. Agreed ?
But this scenario would only be true if your " leaders " interpetation of that Harlot astride the Beast is correct, agreed ?

The whole thing sound like a pretty bloody business at any rate. Just how far do you think these political leaders will get say with Islam ?

Well you are not Muslim and I suppose if you are 100% convinced about the JW church then I don't have any problem with your zeal. I have always taken my hat off to the zeal of the JW's.

Indeed the sexual abuse of children is an abomination and should be treated as such. Any organization that protects pedophiles with denial, intimidation and hush money has some serious credibility problems as far as I am concerned. These are policy makers and leaders in the various churches doing these things. You should know them by their fruit and come out from them as far as I am concerned. It is supposed to be one on one with God, we really don't need all this organized religion in the first place.

groovyable

BM5 said:
Abel is the first just martyr and Cain was a poor witness for God.
Well Abel didn't last too long thanks to his murderous brother so it seems a little unreasonable on your part to associate yourself with all that.

So what is your take on the allegations against Russel and Rutherford, were they not charged with fraud ?

I guess you mean your understanding of what is true is still evolving ? In that case how can anyone take as gospel what you say today if it is going to change with more time and more enlightenment ?

What exactly is this " Faithful discreet slave "

So who or whom has made or makes the interpetation of scripture for your group ?
Specificlly let the example of who you say Jesus Christ is. According to the interpetation of various verses ( which you don't need to repeat ) your group has come to the conclusion that Jesus Christ is Saint Michael the Archangel. The question is " who decided that , who made this interpetation and then made it an item of belief for the JW group ???? "

You say "the understanding of the bible enlightens us ": Who exactly recieves this enlightenment ? Everyone ? Elders only ? One leader ?

It is your hand out claiming the end of false religions which obviously excludes you. So just for the sake of less argument the hit list is everybody outside the JW's. Agreed ?
But this scenario would only be true if your " leaders " interpetation of that Harlot astride the Beast is correct, agreed ?

The whole thing sound like a pretty bloody business at any rate. Just how far do you think these political leaders will get say with Islam ?

Well you are not Muslim and I suppose if you are 100% convinced about the JW church then I don't have any problem with your zeal. I have always taken my hat off to the zeal of the JW's.

Indeed the sexual abuse of children is an abomination and should be treated as such. Any organization that protects pedophiles with denial, intimidation and hush money has some serious credibility problems as far as I am concerned. These are policy makers and leaders in the various churches doing these things. You should know them by their fruit and come out from them as far as I am concerned. It is supposed to be one on one with God, we really don't need all this organized religion in the first place.

Like i say, go to your local Kingdom Hall and ask these questions. Because we could be here all day other wise... and you will get better answers than me giving them to you. Everything we believe is in the Bible and you can't dismis this... The Faithful Discreet slave was predicted in Matthew 24;45. i totally agree that organisations that protects pedophiles have serious problems and i personally think its sick if they protect them. Yet i fail to see what this has with the JWs? cases of this may of happend in the JW faith yet like any other organisation or religion it happens and thats life...

The people who see this enlightenment are the people who study the origins of the orgional scriptures. which are the faithful discreet slave. If you decide not to go to your hall to carry on your research (which is the best place to find the truth instead of doing it all on the internet) go on www.watchtower.org yet you might find it very biass so i strongly advise you to go to the hall... yet you might think we will physical brain wash you are turn you into a vampire are somthing ;) dont worry we dont bite. You might be shocked how many people like you who attend the hall trying to find the truth with the JW religion.