• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask a woodworker, carpenter or cabinet maker: Does Ryobi make the best sanders

PureX

Veteran Member
for the homeowner?

I have my mind set on a "mouse" type because I have occasional small projects.
Ryobi makes a good product, as do most of the other "pricey" brands; Makita, Bosch, Milwaukee, Rigid, Dewalt, and Porter-Cable. Over the years I had always been partial to Bosch, but lately I've taken to Porter-Cable based on price and functionality, together.

Interestingly, in the past, each company was known for being the best at a particular tool; Milwaukee saws-all, Bosch jigsaw, Porter-Cable routers, Makita cordless drills, and so on. But now days they all make pretty good tools.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
for the homeowner?

I have my mind set on a "mouse" type because I have occasional small projects.

As a former contractor, I would say that for light projects the Ryobi is sufficient, but by no means the best on the market.

Two of my favorites and what I consider to be quality sanders were a Porter Cable orbital sander and a Makita belt sander. I still have both today. I also have a Black & Decker mouse sander that still works that I used for finer projects such as inlaid door panels.

Jonathan Bailey

As a former contractor, I would say that for light projects the Ryobi is sufficient, but by no means the best on the market.

Two of my favorites and what I consider to be quality sanders were a Porter Cable orbital sander and a Makita belt sander. I still have both today. I also have a Black & Decker mouse sander that still works that I used for finer projects such as inlaid door panels.

What do I do with a sander?

Mostly small scale projects as a small shelf, a wooden window panel for the exhaust hose of my a/c and a flatbed top for the rear carrier on my bicycle and for hobby use.

The compact detail sander seems fitting for the small work I do.

So, I will have to go with the Ryobi because of its pretty chartreuse color and it comes with case.
ryobi-sheet-sanders-cfs1503gk-64_1000.jpg

I already have a Ryobi rechargeable power-driver drill that I've had for 12 years a in a hard case and I like the product so-so. My Skil jigsaw is so-so, my WEN power tool kit is so-so and my Black & Decker cord drill is so-so with a handy zippered carry bag.

The DeWalt portable compressor I bought in 2018 is so-so and it had to be repaired at least once under warranty for a defective pressure relief valve.

My Skil jigsaw is not a scroll saw and doesn't cut rounded or oval holes out of wood neatly.

If I were a carpenter or a contractor, I would not skimp on power tools.

Bob the Unbeliever

I have a Ryobi belt sander and a Ryobi corded-type jigsaw (portable). But I have a Makita grinder (and also a DeWalt grinder, but the Makita is superior in every way that matters). I have a DeWalt 1/2" plunge router and a Milwaukee 1/4", and a Rigid trim 1/4". The DeWalt has the most power, so for big stuff? I use that. The Milwaukee is good general purpose, and has both 1/2 and 1/4 chucks. But. For really fine work? The Rigid is so small and handy, that if I'm not moving a lot of wood? I use it-- it has many edge guide attachments too.

I only recently purchased the Makita grinder, strictly based on what AVE, a YouTuber machinist, who has many-many videos of tool reviews. His favorite brand. I had an opportunity to purchase one for $20 (used) and it's amazing. Far superior to my DeWalt. AVE was right...

As for Ryobi? I rate them as "Good Enough For Service". I'd not want to do production work, as I don't think they are rated for 100% duty cycle. But both have variable speed, which I like-- it's not in the trigger either-- which I like even better. (you turn a wheel or dial, like a volume control on an old transistor radio)

So would I buy a Ryobi sander? Not for 100% duty cycle, but for occasional work? Without hesitation. If I wanted heavy duty, I'd go with Milwaukee or Makita.