• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask a Wiccan

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
I mean, you could go ice fishing, but bass fishing? Probably not.

It's 4-6 inches here. But in the middle of the week it's gonna be in the 70s.
Not enough ice for ice fishing. The water was opening up before this cold snap... I'm in Pennsylvania. Pretty sure we'll have open water by next weekend.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Based on the title of this thread, I expect it's particularly aimed at the religion you identify with?
In that case, what is your religion about in a nutshell according to you?

My religion to me is about reverence for nature, in the form of the God and Goddess, who represent my panentheistic view of nature and the universe as a whole. The God represents earth, knowing, gross forms, the physical. The Goddess represents heaven, the unknowable (ultimatly), causal and subtle forms, the spiritual So you might say that The God is Saguna Brahman (The God that can be seen) and The Goddess is Nirguna Brahman (The God that cannot be seen).

I still carry over some of my beliefs from Hinduism in regards to Brahman, or The All.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Dang! I was hoping to cure your boredom.

I always have time to read that strip. There was another one, The Many Moons of Astra, but it seems to have disappeared from the internet. If I find it I'll post it here.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Gardnerian or British Traditional? Dianic? Seax?

Eclectic, with some Irish Celtic influence. I hesitate to call myself a Celtic Wiccan, just because that can turn into a smorgasbord of appropriated cultural practices. I practice Wicca, but I venerate the Irish deities, and I practice Appalachian folk magic.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Do you have a particularly favorite Wiccan author?

I really like Scott Cunningham just because he's very down to earth and no nonsense. I also like Raymond Buckland, and I admit I peeked my head into Seax Wicca a bit.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Eclectic, with some Irish Celtic influence. I hesitate to call myself a Celtic Wiccan, just because that can turn into a smorgasbord of appropriated cultural practices. I practice Wicca, but I venerate the Irish deities, and I practice Appalachian folk magic.

Why would it be appropriation? I'm pretty sure most of the practices are considered "open" as opposed to "closed".

Btw.... Don't smudge... That is appropriation.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

Can you share more about Appalachian folk magic?

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Can you share more about Appalachian folk magic?

Yes! I live in Appalachia, and it's an open practice anyone can do. A lot of it comes from granny witches who were Christian, but also superstitious and close to the land. One thing that they used to do is an egg cleansing, where you move the egg around your body, and then crack it, to ready the bubbles and what they mean. Bottle trees, which are mostly art now, were used to ward off evil magic, along with witch balls, which are also more used as art. Any time I see a bottle tree I wonder if the person knows the history behind it.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Why would it be appropriation? I'm pretty sure most of the practices are considered "open" as opposed to "closed".

Btw.... Don't smudge... That is appropriation.

Oh I know, I have friends who are indigenous, and they have warned me against using white sage or smudging.

You're right, most Celtic practices, like saining, are open. Perhaps I used the wrong word.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Oh I know, I have friends who are indigenous, and they have warned me against using white sage or smudging.

You're right, most Celtic practices, like saining, are open. Perhaps I used the wrong word.

I only recently realized the smudging white sage was a native thing. I grew up in the US Southwest where sagebrush grows wild. So I've always like the smell of sage, as it's calming and reminds me of home.

This led to me using it as a smudge, when I'd move into a new home/apartment. But not anymore.