• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask a Prophet

Prophet

breaking the statutes of my local municipality
All are appointed by God. The path to prophethood is open to all.

The first qualification is understanding and acceptance of yourself.

Do you seriously believe you're a capital-P Prophet, as in "God's mouthpiece?"

Yes. Capital-P.

However, characterizing a Prophet as God's mouthpiece is off. God doesn't give words to communicate. God gives those who reunite with Him complete understanding. The words proceed from this understanding.

The words are my own and God's concurrently.

Straw Dog

I am becoming the man I never got to be.

Perhaps your title should be "Enlightened Becoming." You leave the impression that you have already attained some sort of final awakening in which there is nothing else to attain. Maybe I've misunderstood your intentions and how you've been presenting yourself.

I had a few moments in practice in which I felt as if I had become Enlightened. I managed to resist the ego-trick that I was at the end of my journey though, and promptly killed the abstract Buddha I projected. Maybe you could offer me some advice. When does one know beyond a shadow of a doubt that they have reached the end all of enlightenment? Is there not an endless succession of moments to continuously awaken fully to? Or have I misunderstood what you mean by your avatar title?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Yes. Capital-P.

However, characterizing a Prophet as God's mouthpiece is off. God doesn't give words to communicate. God gives those who reunite with Him complete understanding. The words proceed from this understanding.

The words are my own and God's concurrently.
OK, then. :sarcastic

Prophet

What is your definition of "prophet"? In my religion, future telling is a major part of the job in pretty much every case.

Do you feel that because you speak for what you believe is philosophic Truth that this is what makes one a "prophet"? Or do you believe you are actually communicating the will of a higher Sentient Being?

It does not surprise me that many primitive fundamentalist religions characterize prophecy as future telling, just as it does not surprise me that many primitive fundamentalist religions characterize faith as blind belief which is afraid to understand itself. Both are misunderstandings caused by delusion.

Prophet

Perhaps your title should be "Enlightened Becoming." You leave the impression that you have already attained some sort of final awakening in which there is nothing else to attain. Maybe I've misunderstood your intentions and how you've been presenting yourself.

I had a few moments in practice in which I felt as if I had become Enlightened. I managed to resist the ego-trick that I was at the end of my journey though, and promptly killed the abstract Buddha I projected. Maybe you could offer me some advice. When does one know beyond a shadow of a doubt that they have reached the end all of enlightenment? Is there not an endless succession of moments to continuously awaken fully to? Or have I misunderstood what you mean by your avatar title?

When enlightenment first struck me almost two years ago, I had no idea what it was, or even that enlightenment existed. I went from an extraordinarily non self-aware being to fully self aware. For weeks I was lost in the joy of being with new profound realizations happening every day.

I should add that even when the ego recrystallizes, I still know the Truth. I still come out on top of every debate in my honest opinion, even when I am not thinking the way I am capable of. When my ego is in control, you'll see my goal is to win debates. When the True Self is in control, you'll see my goal is to be understood.

I didn't realize I had met God until days later when I knew the answers to all the questions I had for Him before. I wish I could say for sure that it is the same for everyone in this way, but I am currently watching my brother go through the same transformative process, yet it is much different than what I went through, because we were damaged in different ways.

I'm pretty sure you'll know it when you get there, but, as a rule, you can pretty much count on this: Everyone is going to think that you're crazy. And you will know that they are the crazy ones. :)

Last edited:

Shermana

Heretic
It does not surprise me that many primitive fundamentalist religions characterize prophecy as future telling, just as it does not surprise me that many primitive fundamentalist religions characterize faith as blind belief which is afraid to understand itself. Both are misunderstandings caused by delusion.

Thank you for calling the entire religion of Judaism a delusion, now would you like to explain your definition of prophet or not? Feel free to explain why your definition is not "primitive" but mine would be.

Prophet

Thank you for calling the entire religion of Judaism a delusion, now would you like to explain your definition of prophet or not? Feel free to explain why your definition is not "primitive" but mine would be.

I didn't call any religion a delusion in itself. I merely identified that fundamentalist religions carry with them a few common delusions.

"Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule." -Friedrich Nietzsche

I do not care to explain anything for a being who has demonstrated for me (and no doubt, many others) time and time again that he is unwilling to understand anything. Debating you is a waste of time.

I am seeking serious discussion with beings actually interested in learning. You stopped learning long ago.

Last edited:

Prophet

More like "I'm seeking an ego stroke from beings who might be taken in by my delusions."

I am enjoying how you characterize beings who attempt to discuss my ideas with me to understand them before judging of whether they are worthy of belief as rubes who are easily fooled. It follows that you probably think beings who won't really discuss my ideas with me and will simply attack with a conflicting idea are the really bright ones.

You're right. Let's not go the next step and actually compare our ideas rationally. That would be awful. For you.

LOL

Last edited:

Prophet

I didn't imply possession of an idea. I only implied that I held it.

Seriously, this is how you debate? Nitpicking bull is your best?

Shuddhasattva

I'm obviously not debating you. Why would I debate someone who thinks he has a personal claim to the truth, for all his facile denial? It would be an exercise in futility ... rather like this thread.

Prophet

Beings lacking in sound reason often resort to attacking other beings when their reason fails them. You have demonstrated this truth.

Rocky S

Christian Goth
Greetings Prophet, I do have a question, well kind of a twofold question, I am a bit curious.. In essence what do you base this qualification off of, and how do you now it to be a true qualification?

Prophet

Hi Rocky S,

To become a Prophet, a massive change in the way your mind operates must happen. Jesus referred to this process as being "born again". I hope you know that being born again isn't about accepting Jesus into your heart. It is about finding your way back to who you were before you were damaged by this world, and there is simply no way to do this without accepting who you are presently, so you can see yourself impartially as God does.

cocolia42

All are appointed by God. The path to prophethood is open to all.

I thought the first qualification was divine inspiration. Is your God telling you to say these things?

Straw Dog

When enlightenment first struck me almost two years ago, I had no idea what it was, or even that enlightenment existed. I went from an extraordinarily non self-aware being to fully self aware. For weeks I was lost in the joy of being with new profound realizations happening every day.

I have also had periods of time in which profound realizations occurred continuously. Whenever I attempted to convey these realizations in words, I lost the insight I had from many of them. Perhaps you should spend more time sitting in your fully self-aware state and less time preaching at or debating with others.

I should add that even when the ego recrystallizes, I still know the Truth. I still come out on top of every debate in my honest opinion, even when I am not thinking the way I am capable of. When my ego is in control, you'll see my goal is to win debates. When the True Self is in control, you'll see my goal is to be understood.

So in your honest opinion, you are correct in every single one of the debates that you engage in? There is nothing to be learned from others and nothing can possibly convince you that you may be incorrect in some instances? That's like saying, "Nobody is more humble than me!"

I didn't realize I had met God until days later when I knew the answers to all the questions I had for Him before. I wish I could say for sure that it is the same for everyone in this way, but I am currently watching my brother go through the same transformative process, yet it is much different than what I went through, because we were damaged in different ways.

I'm pretty sure you'll know it when you get there, but, as a rule, you can pretty much count on this: Everyone is going to think that you're crazy. And you will know that they are the crazy ones. :)

I don't think that you are crazy or that you don't have genuine insights to share. I just fear that you may have fallen victim to delusions of grandeur. I'm wary of individuals who believe that they have all the answers to the absolute questions of reality, and that those answers can be meaningfully conveyed through language (which itself is relative to a particular social context).

I believe you have uncovered some answers to questions most concerning to you as an individual within the context of your own life. The faults I find is that you believe these answers should apply to everyone with absolute conviction, your mind is not open enough to consider the possibility that you may be wrong in some cases, and you fail to recognize that the views of others may have their own validity and insight to share.

You believe that you know the Truth when really it's just your relative perspective of the Truth, making it just another truth, unless you can somehow escape your human condition and experience. Even if God were speaking to you, it's still being filtering through your perceptual/ conceptual apparatus, hence making it relative. I don't mean to argue with you about it, but it seems you may need to reassess your preconceptions, just as everyone needs to reassess their preconceptions from time to time.

Shermana

Heretic
I didn't call any religion a delusion in itself. I merely identified that fundamentalist religions carry with them a few common delusions.
You said the very basis for all the prophetic writings which Judaism holds dear, "future telling", is based on delusion.
"Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule." -Friedrich Nietzsche
Okay, so you're calling the Jewish belief that prophets should be able to predict the future to be based on "insanity". I'd personally say someone who claims to be a prophet while outright insulting and dismissing people who ask him what he means by that might be more of an example of the definition.

I do not care to explain anything for a being who has demonstrated for me (and no doubt, many others) time and time again that he is unwilling to understand anything. Debating you is a waste of time.
Hmmm, I believe I asked you simply to say what you think a prophet is, not a debate. It appears several people have asked you for this. It appears you are rather unwilling to actually state what kind of "prophet" you think you are for some reason. You think that someone cannot have any doubt in your claims for you to tell them? Not very honest to say the least.

Now when you say that I've "Demonstrated time and time again" that I'm "Not willing to understand anything", could you please provide some quotes of mine that give you this perception that I'm "not interested in learning"? Or do you mean to say I'm "not interested in blindly accepting what you have to say at face value without question"? I think that's what you meant to say. Do you think you'll convince anyone by telling them that they're "not willing to understand anything" when they ask questions? Otherwise, show me why you get the indication that I'm "Not interested in understanding anything", is it because you understand everything and only those who don't question you or cast suspicion are thus willing to understand? I think that's what you're trying to say.

I am seeking serious discussion with beings actually interested in learning. You stopped learning long ago.
Thanks for telling me that I "stopped learning a long time ago", but it seems that I'm not the only person who has asked you what you think a prophet actually is, and you have dodged each person. So rather than insulting me and the basis for my own religion, would you like to kindly admit that you're not actually willing to say what you think a "Prophet" Is? By the fact you call yourself an "Enlightened being", I assume you think you have nothing left to learn? Or do you have a different understanding of "Enlightenment" as well? What are you still learning?

The idea that one must agree with you and not ask you questions is the same thing as "being interesting in learning" is hardly much different than any cult figure who's said similarly. Do you really think you'll get anyone to believe you're a "prophet" however you define it if you insult and dismiss them for merely asking questions? Where did I even insult you or your claims up until now to the point that you say things like this?

Now please explain for everyone reading, not just me, what you think a prophet is, for the third time.

Last edited: