• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask a pasifist

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I going to do something I normally do not do. And it is to answer your questions about my personal experience and view of what it means to be a pacifist.
Why? Well in an other thread someone asked me about a question related to what I would do in a certain situation.

The only requirment in this OP is that, do not ask or give situation you know the only answer is so you can hear the answer "a pasifist have to kill in this situation to save one or many"

I will be honest in my answers to why, how, and so on.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you have a firm idea in your mind of any situations where you'd either harm or kill others (no need to talk specifics, just conceptually)?

Or do you see pacifism more as a guiding principle you'd then apply based on a judgement call at the time?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
What would you do if you were in a situation and a country where you could be drafted? Would you be comfortable doing something like making meals for the soldiers, to try to avoid fighting and combat, or would even making meals for soldiers going to war, kind of bother you?
I can make their meal, but as a civilian, I would not draft in to military

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Do you have a firm idea in your mind of any situations where you'd either harm or kill others (no need to talk specifics, just conceptually)?

Or do you see pacifism more as a guiding principle you'd then apply based on a judgement call at the time?
Physically harming, mentally harming others is against my belief, I try to live by love and kindness toward everyone.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Physically harming, mentally harming others is against my belief, I try to live by love and kindness toward everyone.

Which I respect. Just trying to think how to better communicate my meaning.
Lessee...

Believe it or not, I think of myself as a pacifist. I'm non-violent, and try to actively avoid mentally harming others.
There are certain things which would make me put aside this pacifism, at least momentarily.
That being the case, I don't really call myself a pacifist, since I think some would assume to be a pacifist you'd need to put forth a position of not harming others regardless of provocation.

My fuse is long, but I know there are things that would provoke violence from me. And I don't see that as 'negative' in the way a true pacifist would, I suspect.

So...without needing to talk about hypotheticals...my pondering was around whether you think you're a pacifist who could reach a line where you thought violence was justifiable. Or whether you'd see violence as NEVER being justified, regardless of provocation.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Which I respect. Just trying to think how to better communicate my meaning.
Lessee...

Believe it or not, I think of myself as a pacifist. I'm non-violent, and try to actively avoid mentally harming others.
There are certain things which would make me put aside this pacifism, at least momentarily.
That being the case, I don't really call myself a pacifist, since I think some would assume to be a pacifist you'd need to put forth a position of not harming others regardless of provocation.

My fuse is long, but I know there are things that would provoke violence from me. And I don't see that as 'negative' in the way a true pacifist would, I suspect.

So...without needing to talk about hypotheticals...my pondering was around whether you think you're a pacifist who could reach a line where you thought violence was justifiable. Or whether you'd see violence as NEVER being justified, regardless of provocation.
In my current state of mind i would personally not be able to justify using voilence:) but i try to not judge thos3 who see it different than me, there are also grades of pasifism, and that is ok too

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
In my current state of mind i would personally not be able to justify using voilence:) but i try to not judge thos3 who see it different than me, there are also grades of pasifism, and that is ok too

Makes sense. We differ on that (and much else!) but if you and I were to meet in person, the nice thing is there would be ZERO chance of violence. Be nice if everyone around the world could say that, particularly when they're from opposite sides of the globe, and with completely different religious beliefs.

*tips hat*

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Makes sense. We differ on that (and much else!) but if you and I were to meet in person, the nice thing is there would be ZERO chance of violence. Be nice if everyone around the world could say that, particularly when they're from opposite sides of the globe, and with completely different religious beliefs.

*tips hat*
I have noticed that after i started on the sufi path, I can go along well with anyone. I am sure I could have deep respectful discussion with anyone

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I going to do something I normally do not do. And it is to answer your questions about my personal experience and view of what it means to be a pacifist.
Why? Well in an other thread someone asked me about a question related to what I would do in a certain situation.

The only requirment in this OP is that, do not ask or give situation you know the only answer is so you can hear the answer "a pasifist have to kill in this situation to save one or many"

I will be honest in my answers to why, how, and so on.

When did you decide to be a pacifist?