• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask a Mormon! (Part Two)

jonny

After reading the Wikipedia overview of the Community Of Christ I can’t help but walking away with a feeling of redundancy. Please excuse my naivety, I am sure the proper authorities have already considered this and I am sure that there is tolerance between the two sects but are the beliefs so significantly different that the two churches couldn’t reconcile? .

Yes. There are a lot of issues that could not be reconciled between the two churches.
  • Polygamy (CoC claims that Joseph Smith never mandated or practiced it)
  • Temples (CoC doesn't have the temple rites that the LDS church has)
  • The Priesthood (CoC has a completely different view of who should be the head of the church and gives the priesthood to women)
Those are just some examples of hot issues that would keep the two churches from uniting. I don't really think either church cares to get back together anyway. The CoC, in my opinion, is Mormonism without alot of the controversy (or everything that made Emma Smith uncomfortable).

cardero

Citizen Mod
beckysoup61 writes: So basicallly, they are like any other Christian Church now?
comprehend writes: well.... except OUR christian church :D
Ohsnap.JPG

Well, someone had to be the first to use this emoticon.

SoyLeche

meh...
Methinks we have a decendant of Hyrum Smith here on the forums. :D
As an aside - there is only one "calling" in the church that is passed on from father to son - that of "Patriarch" (Every stake has a Patriarch, and at the stake level the calling isn't passed from father to son - but the "Patriarch of the Church" is determined, at least somewhat, by lineage). I believe they have all so far been decendants of Hyrum Smith.

jonny

As an aside - there is only one "calling" in the church that is passed on from father to son - that of "Patriarch" (Every stake has a Patriarch, and at the stake level the calling isn't passed from father to son - but the "Patriarch of the Church" is determined, at least somewhat, by lineage). I believe they have all so far been decendants of Hyrum Smith.

Is there still a patriarch of the church?

cardero

Citizen Mod
What books have our residential Mormons read that they would recommend to other RFer’s about the early church’s history?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
What books have our residential Mormons read that they would recommend to other RFer’s about the early church’s history?
One of my absolute favorites is "Latter Days" by Coke Newell. It's partly doctrinal, but about 150 pages of its total 250 pages or so deals with early LDS history. It's exceptionally readable and was written with the non-LDS reader in mind. It's available on www.amazon.com.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
I am sure I could probably find it somewhere, but I am being lazy :p

I read a post that got me thinking, so some questions of the LDS prophet...

Is it an elected position, or is it just someone God decides to talk to?
Are only certain people considered, or could, say, FFH be the Prophet(as in God says 'You are the next prohphet, go and speak in my name')?

SoyLeche

meh...
Is there still a patriarch of the church?
I believe so - I went to a fireside that he talked at about 10 years ago.

But, then again - I may be wrong:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriarch_%28Mormonism%29

wikipedia said:
In the early days of the Church, a single patriarch, known as the Presiding Patriarch or Patriarch to the Church, exercised his office throughout the whole Church. This office passed down through the male descendants of Hyrum Smith, who were among the Church's General Authorities. In 1979 Presiding Patriarch Eldred G. Smith was given emeritus status, meaning he retired from performing his duties. No successor was called to replace Smith as Presiding Patriarch. In the present day there are sufficient numbers of patriarchs throughout the church to serve church members.
It must have been the Presiding Patriarch Emeritus that I saw at the fireside.

SoyLeche

meh...
One of my absolute favorites is "Latter Days" by Coke Newell. It's partly doctrinal, but about 150 pages of its total 250 pages or so deals with early LDS history. It's exceptionally readable and was written with the non-LDS reader in mind. It's available on www.amazon.com.
If you want just a good biography of Joseph Smith - "Rough Stone Rolling" by Richard Bushman is a good one.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I am sure I could probably find it somewhere, but I am being lazy :p
Yeah, I know how that is. I am, too. :D

I read a post that got me thinking, so some questions of the LDS prophet...

Is it an elected position, or is it just someone God decides to talk to?
It's what we refer to as a "calling," which essentially means that he is God's choice. Here's how it works: The Church is led by a Prophet, his two counselors, and twelve Apostles. When the Prophet dies, a new one is appointed. Although not cast in concrete, the established precedent is to select the senior member (in years of service, not age) of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles as the next Prophet. That, of course, leaves a vacancy in the Quorum of the Twelve, which must then be filled. Collectively, the First Presidency, (i.e. the Prophet and his counselors) and the remaining Apostles fast and pray, asking God for guidance in choosing whom to appoint as the next Apostle. In theory, any male member of the Church could be selected. In practice, it is likely to be someone who is known to have an excellent knowledge of LDS doctrine, a strong testimony of Jesus Christ, an outstanding character, and exceptional leadership abilities. When God confirms to this body of men who the next Apostle is to be, that individual is then "called and ordained." Over the years, (unless he dies first) the most recently called Apostle will eventually become the senior Apostle and would be next in line to be the Prophet. So, in essence, whenever an Apostle is chosen, he is believed to be worthy to eventually lead the Church as its Prophet and to have been chosen by God for that role. Thomas S. Monson, currently the senior member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, became an Apostle when I was in highschool, about 40 years ago. He will most likely succeed Gordon B. Hinckley as the next Prophet.

Are only certain people considered, or could, say, FFH be the Prophet(as in God says 'You are the next prohphet, go and speak in my name')?
Oh, please! :eek:

jonny

Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling by Bushman is a biography of Joseph Smith, but it also details the early history of the church.

This is a book, put out by the church, that is also pretty good. You can pick one up for free from just about any LDS church or order one for a couple bucks from the church distribution services: http://www.ldscatalog.com/webapp/wc...amp;cg5=&pageId=1&pageCt=15&sortId=3&sortOr=1

jonny

Thomas S. Monson, currently the senior member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, became an Apostle when I was in highschool, about 40 years ago. He will most likely succeed Gordon B. Hinckley as the next Prophet.

Completely off the subject, but I love Thomas S. Monson. He has always been an apostle who has spoken to me. The talk he gave Saturday on the resurrection was fantastic: http://broadcast.lds.org/genconf/2007/04/10/GC_2007_04_19_MonsonTS__01907_eng_.mp3

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur

My book recommendations are never popular for some reason so unless you want some unpopular suggetions I'll leave it to the others.

(I know, cry me a river huh)