• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask a Mormon a question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bishka

Veteran Member
To any of you who ever wanted to ask us a question without the thread going debate-style, here's your chance.

It can be directed at a single-one of us, or the group, just trying to make it about our beliefs. :)

We'll answer each and every question to the best of our knowledge and if you question prompts another thread, even the better. :)

Go ahead, ask away.

Note: Please be respectful of what we consider to be sacred and keep this a discussion. Thanks!

GoldenDragon

Ok i'll ask some
Why does Mormonism rescrict coffee and tea? I wasn't sure if this was discussed or not but does it have any religious connection like the kosher law does to Judaism or is it something else? Does Mormonism really believe that the Native Americans are actually ancestors of the ancient Hebrews and does it actually believe that Jesus came to America? I was told this awhile ago and wasn't sure if this was true or not.

and does how Mormonism view Catholicism and other Christian denominations?and Judaism? Sorry for so many questions just plain curious.

Bishka

Veteran Member
GoldenDragon said:
Ok i'll ask some
Why does Mormonism rescrict coffee and tea?

We believe in something called the Word of Wisdom, a health code given by God to Joseph Smith as a revelation. It explains in the text that 'hot drinks' are not for the body.This was more explained later by Hyrum Smith (the Prophet Joseph Smith's brother) that the 'hot drinks' spoken of in the Word of Wisdom are coffee and tea of the tea leaf.

GoldenDragon said:
Does Mormonism really believe that the Native Americans are actually ancestors of the ancient Hebrews and does it actually believe that Jesus came to America?

Not necessarily the Native Americans, but the people of the 'Americas'. We also believe that Jesus Christ showed Himself to the peoples of the Americas after His crucifiction. The scripture that says something along the lines of "...Other sheep I have, not of this fold," we believe to be talking about the people living on these continents.

GoldenDragon said:
and does how Mormonism view Catholicism and other Christian denominations?and Judaism? Sorry for so many questions just plain curious.

In what way are you asking? Are you asking if we see Catholics as Christians? IOr what our relationship to other Christians are? :)

GoldenDragon

More on the lines of a perspective on other Christians and other religions.

and on the drinks thing would that include iced coffee and iced tea too? not trying to be a wise guy but it just ran through my mind.

Bishka

Veteran Member
GoldenDragon said:
More on the lines of a perspective on other Christians and other religions.

We view every human being, whether LDS or not as a daughter or son of our loving Heavenly Father.

GoldenDragon said:
and on the drinks thing would that include iced coffee and iced tea too? not trying to be a wise guy but it just ran through my mind.

As far as I know, yes. It was the coffee and tea in particular that we need to avoid, no matter what form it is in.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Snowbear said:
What is the process by which something a prophet says becomes doctrine?

I'm not quite sure of the exact process, but from my recollection, in order to have something make it into our canonical scriptures, it is presented to the Church as a whole and voted on. They voted on a couple of additions in the last century and I guarantee there will be more, as Hugh B. Brown said

"...and fourth, that the channel of communication between earth and heaven is open, and revelation is continuous." (Conference Report, Oct 1967)

Nothing is doctrine except what you find in the canonical documents, although, much of what the Prophets, Apostles, etc., say we believe as truth.

Hope that helps. :)

Bishka

Veteran Member
Snowbear said:
Thank you. What is the process by which a doctrine no longer considered valid is abrogated?
That doesn't happen as far as I know. Although, I think I understand what you are getting at here.

Polygamy? Am I right? :p

As you are well aware of, polygamy is not practiced by the LDS Church anymore and hasn't been for over 150 years. As I am not as well-versed in LDS history as the others, I will leave this question open to them.

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
beckysoup61 said:
That doesn't happen as far as I know. Although, I think I understand what you are getting at here.

Polygamy? Am I right?

As you are well aware of, polygamy is not practiced by the LDS Church anymore and hasn't been for over 150 years. As I am not as well-versed in LDS history as the others, I will leave this question open to them.
No. You're not right.
But sure.... if you like, that could be an example of a doctrine that was abrogated (if in fact it actually was).
I'm actually just asking general questions....

Bishka

Veteran Member
Snowbear said:
No. You're not right.
But sure.... if you like that could be an example of a doctrine that was abrogated (if in fact it actually was).
I'm actually just asking general questions....

As far as I'm concerned, this has never happened because we just don't 'stop believing in doctrine'. As I stated before, I'm sure that any of the others could answer that question much better then I could.

jonny

Snowbear said:
Thank you. What is the process by which a doctrine no longer considered valid is abrogated?

I don't think there is a process for this. I've never heard of doctrine being considered no longer valid. People's interpretations of doctrine are rejected now and then. Even the doctrine associated with polygamy is still valid although it is no longer practiced.

jonny

Snowbear said:
What is the process by which something a prophet says becomes doctrine?

For something to be considered doctrine it must be agreed upon by the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve. It is then presented to the church for a sustaining vote at which point it is added to our scriptures.

jonny

GoldenDragon said:
Ok i'll ask some
Why does Mormonism rescrict coffee and tea? I wasn't sure if this was discussed or not but does it have any religious connection like the kosher law does to Judaism or is it something else?

Becky already gave you the scriptures that are the source of our health code. It was interpreted as being Coffee and Tea by the church when they made the Word of Wisdom a requirement to enter the temple.

GoldenDragon said:
Does Mormonism really believe that the Native Americans are actually ancestors of the ancient Hebrews and does it actually believe that Jesus came to America?

We believe that some, not all, Native Americans have Hebrew ancestry. Yes, we do believe that Christ visited the people in America.

GoldenDragon said:

They all have truth, just not the fulness of the Gospel. We view the Jews as God's chosen people. We don't believe that any of them will go to Hell because of the religion they chose.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I understand that you view the marriage ceremony as sacred (as it should be ;)), but I've noticed that it doesn't get talked about... why is that? There are things that I view as sacred, but I don't mind talking about them...

Bishka

Veteran Member
Gentoo said:
I understand that you view the marriage ceremony as sacred (as it should be ;)), but I've noticed that it doesn't get talked about... why is that? There are things that I view as sacred, but I don't mind talking about them...

We feel it as so sacred because we promised God we wouldn't divulge temple ceremonies or talk about them outside the temple. That's just a bit I can give you right now. I'm sure Katzpur, Soyleche and the others have much more. Sorry I couldn't be more specific.

Status
Not open for further replies.