• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask a Hindu

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Cool, can you explain more details?
Nope. It's personal. I've been taught not to share, but for mystical Hindus there are lots of signs.
I'll give a few examples of stuff that happens that indicates God's presence.
- murthies winking
- flowers falling at the same time as a particular thought
- gentle gusts of wind, either warmer or colder, than the existing windless place, like a shrine room
- odors wafting by, like the smell of a familiar incense outside
- seeing the deity with tears
- stone feeling warm to the touch, as if it were human
- sounds from 'nowhere'
- clairaudience
- bad vibes, good vibes

Quite often these things are shared experiences, in that two or more people experience them simultaneously.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Nope. It's personal. I've been taught not to share, but for mystical Hindus there are lots of signs.
I'll give a few examples of stuff that happens that indicates God's presence.
- murthies winking
- flowers falling at the same time as a particular thought
- gentle gusts of wind, either warmer or colder, than the existing windless place, like a shrine room
- odors wafting by, like the smell of a familiar incense outside
- seeing the deity with tears
- stone feeling warm to the touch, as if it were human
- sounds from 'nowhere'
- clairaudience
- bad vibes, good vibes

Quite often these things are shared experiences, in that two or more people experience them simultaneously.

Okay thanks. I believe you.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Okay thanks. I believe you.
Thanks. One of the minor reasons we don't share is it opens up to criticism and mocking from disbelief. The major reason though, is that it's seen as confidential, between you and God. Your and His secret, and just as if a person shared something with you, in confidence, you don't blab about it.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thanks. One of the minor reasons we don't share is it opens up to criticism and mocking from disbelief. The major reason though, is that it's seen as confidential, between you and God. Your and His secret, and just as if a person shared something with you, in confidence, you don't blab about it.

That makes sense.

Jedster

Another reason could be not to give people false expectations, i.e. to let them have their own experiences.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
- murthies winking

I remember the second time I went to the temple, we brought some interested friends. We were sitting in a group on the floor, and I looked across the room at Ram's shrine...and Sita(who I've always had a special spot in my heart for) waved at me. I left the group and had to get closer... I didn't mention it until later. But I'm still certain she did.

I will sometimes share experiences, if I think the person is trustworthy and openminded.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
"3 The seven who on the seven-wheeled car are mounted have horses, seven in tale, who draw them onward.
Seven Sisters utter songs of praise together, in whom the names of the seven Cows are treasured.
"

Regardless of whether they are constellations or not, what lessons about life are packed into this hymn, or what should it make me think of?
Constellations teach time and direction. Indo-Iranians were herders in the vast Kazakh, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan steppes. This is not philosophy but the lore of the Indo-Iranian Aryans. The emphasis is seven, that is the full day light months when they were within the Arctic Circle. The rest is poetic exaggeration. Another example:

"8 Eight are the Sons of Aditi who from her body sprang to life.
With seven she went to meet the Gods she cast Martanda far away.
9 So with her Seven Sons Aditi went forth to meet the earlier age.
She brought Martanda thitherward to spring to life and die again."
Rig Veda: Rig-Veda, Book 10: HYMN LXXII. The Gods.

This is about how many suns the Indo-Iranians believed in? Seven fully formed and the eighth not fully formed. Aditi is considered to be the mother of these suns. So, the day-light months were seven and a half. The half was Martanda (Dead Egg) when the sun failed (October). It is said that humans were created from Martanda (the dead egg) to live and die in the world. The story could be as old as 15,000 years.

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Constellations teach time and direction. Indo-Iranians were herders in the vast Kazakh, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan steppes. This is not philosophy but the lore of the Indo-Iranian Aryans. The emphasis is seven, that is the full day light months when they were within the Arctic Circle. The rest is poetic exaggeration. Another example:

"8 Eight are the Sons of Aditi who from her body sprang to life.
With seven she went to meet the Gods she cast Martanda far away.
9 So with her Seven Sons Aditi went forth to meet the earlier age.
She brought Martanda thitherward to spring to life and die again."
Rig Veda: Rig-Veda, Book 10: HYMN LXXII. The Gods.

This is about how many suns the Indo-Iranians believed in? Seven fully formed and the eighth not fully formed. Aditi is considered to be the mother of these suns. So, the day-light months were seven and a half. The half was Martand (Dead Egg) when the sun failed (October). It is said that humans were created from Martand (the dead egg) to live and die in the world. The story could be as old as 15,000 years.
Time and direction? That makes sense to me. Herders it makes sense.

Its very nice to have access to such old writings. Too bad I don't know the language. There can be a deposit of philosophy with what seems like mere decoration.

That first hymn (164 I think) interests me more than this shorter one. It keeps talking about 'Speech' and associates speech with heaven and with law, and it says there are 4 divisions of speech, law being the first and the common one and the other three hidden (maybe secrets!). This piece about four divisions of speech is a hook. I wonder what they mean. I may be overthinking it.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
I remember the second time I went to the temple, we brought some interested friends. We were sitting in a group on the floor, and I looked across the room at Ram's shrine...and Sita(who I've always had a special spot in my heart for) waved at me. I left the group and had to get closer... I didn't mention it until later. But I'm still certain she did.

I will sometimes share experiences, if I think the person is trustworthy and openminded.

That's a very sweet story. Maa Sita was very happy to see you.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Time and direction? Herders it makes sense.

Its very nice to have access to such old writings. Too bad I don't know the language. There can be a deposit of philosophy with what seems like mere decoration.

That first hymn (164 I think) interests me more than this shorter one. It keeps talking about 'Speech' and associates speech with heaven and with law, and it says there are 4 divisions of speech, law being the first and the common one and the other three hidden (maybe secrets!). This piece about four divisions of speech is a hook. I wonder what they mean. I may be overthinking it.
6,000 years ago, the sun rose on the day of vernal equinox in the constellation of Orion. The Aryans took Orion as 'Prajapati', Lord of the people, and wore a sacred thread (Hindus and Zoroastrians) in its imitation (Orion is surrounded by a circle which we know as Orion's belt or Bernard's loop).

78px-Orion_Head_to_Toe.jpg

"14 The wheel revolves, unwasting, with its felly: ten draw it, yoked to the far-stretching car-pole." (Your hymn 164 revisited).

Now this points to priests who completed their annual ritual cycle in ten months. They were known as 'Dashagwahas' (Ten-going). During the two-month long, dark and cold Arctic night, there were longer rituals (the famous horse-sacrifice, Ashwamedha), because the demons of darkness needed stronger rituals to be defeated. Remember that old Roman calendar had ten months and 304 days.
Why I picked this line is because normally people will miss the significance of the line, but there is a story behind it. The reference to cows is for dawns and not the four-legged Hindu holy cows. The Indo-Europeans eagerly waited for the month-long dawns after the two month long Arctic night, when the light of the sun will be visible but not the sun. :)

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I have started a new topic on RigVeda lore in General Religious Debates. I would not post on that subject in this topic, since this topic is not about that. So, carry on with questions on Hinduism with @Ashoka.

SA Huguenot

I was born into Christianity. I've read the Bible :)
Ashoka, I was wondering last night about your statement that you were born in Christianity and read the Bible.
  • May I know which denomination?
And if you dont mind, to what extend did you read the Bible.
  • hearing from Church what it says?
  • Reading with sermons?
  • reading it as a study with superficial detail?
  • Reading it with intence once in tour life, like reading a best selling novel?
  • Taking time to study the Bible, and investigating certain topics of interest?
You dont have to answer if you feel it is personal. I will understand.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Ashoka, I was wondering last night about your statement that you were born in Christianity and read the Bible.
  • May I know which denomination?
And if you dont mind, to what extend did you read the Bible.
  • hearing from Church what it says?
  • Reading with sermons?
  • reading it as a study with superficial detail?
  • Reading it with intence once in tour life, like reading a best selling novel?
  • Taking time to study the Bible, and investigating certain topics of interest?
You dont have to answer if you feel it is personal. I will understand.

I'd rather keep this about Hinduism, but you are free to PM me.

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member
Do you believe your religion has proof(s) outside of the good old "the proof is in the pudding" approach?
The proof is in Bhagavad GeetA -- that is "proof" for me. Just like Quran is "proof" for you.

apart from what evidence Shri VAsudev KRshNa and other forms of Brahman give me with their presence, in the Silence of formless Brahman, white flashes, the sky after 4 pm or setting sun. Now THAT is pudding.

Last edited:

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
I have started a new topic on RigVeda lore in General Religious Debates. I would not post on that subject in this topic, since this topic is not about that. So, carry on with questions on Hinduism with @Ashoka.

I will check it out!

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
Now I feel like an idiot. I got you mixed up with mangalavara. She's going to Korea. I'm such a fool. I'm so incredible lucky to have the temple I prefer at 12 minutes away. and another 5 even closer.

I just saw your replies to @Ashoka. I'm sure that I will be fine without a temple in Korea. I know that there are at least two temples there, but none of them are in the city where I will work. Hopefully, I will meet an expat who is Hindu.

I think I should mention that I am a man. You're neither a fool nor an idiot, by the way. It's my avatar. Lol. :)

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
I just saw your replies to @Ashoka. I'm sure that I will be fine without a temple in Korea. I know that there are at least two temples there, but none of them are in the city where I will work. Hopefully, I will meet an expat who is Hindu.

I think I should mention that I am a man. You're neither a fool nor an idiot, by the way. It's my avatar. Lol. :)
It's a nice avatar tho man. I like it.