• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask a Hindu

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I never check the gender of the person I am interacting with. By my principle, I do not favor that. If I am wrong, I can always ask to be excused.

It's a bit important to me to know my audience. But I get your point. Age is the other factor that may or may not be of importance.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Do you experience anything with your deities? See them/sense them? Or receive some sort of indication from them?

SA Huguenot

Hey! I am a convert to Hinduism (technically: you can't really convert, you just start practicing) and I'm just starting a thread for people who might have questions about Hinduism. I will do my best to answer. I am certainly not an authority on it by any means, but I can share my insight :) Just be kind, is all I ask.
Did you studied / read about Hinduism before you decided it is the correct faith for you?
And you say you feel comfortable with Hinduism, what other religions did you investigate on?

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Do you experience anything with your deities? See them/sense them? Or receive some sort of indication from them?

I have had moments of Bhakti (devotion) while praying or singing when I cry. I like to think that is an experience.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Did you studied / read about Hinduism before you decided it is the correct faith for you?
And you say you feel comfortable with Hinduism, what other religions did you investigate on?

Yes, I did read up and study. I got some books when I was in my 20s about Hinduism, and I remember really loving The Upanishads. They spoke to me and my way of viewing the world. And, I always felt a closeness with Shiva that I never felt with others, such as Vishnu.

Other religions I investigated: Buddhism, Wicca, Feri, Gaelic Polytheism, Heathenry, Druidry...a lot of them.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It's a bit important to me to know my audience. But I get your point. Age is the other factor that may or may not be of importance.
Yeah, age too. What is the person's age can generally be guessed by his post. :)
Yeah, some may be in their sixtieth decade but their intelligence may not have progressed beyond that of a junior school child.

SA Huguenot

Yes, I did read up and study. I got some books when I was in my 20s about Hinduism, and I remember really loving The Upanishads. They spoke to me and my way of viewing the world. And, I always felt a closeness with Shiva that I never felt with others, such as Vishnu.

Other religions I investigated: Buddhism, Wicca, Feri, Gaelic Polytheism, Heathenry, Druidry...a lot of them.
I can learn a lot from you.
I do not see that you have read the Bible?
Any such attempts?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Not in my case. When I was a theist, Gods and Goddesses were psychological support. I do not need them now.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Hey! I am a convert to Hinduism (technically: you can't really convert, you just start practicing) and I'm just starting a thread for people who might have questions about Hinduism. I will do my best to answer. I am certainly not an authority on it by any means, but I can share my insight :) Just be kind, is all I ask.
OK.

Within Hinduism, if I ask the question as to whether it is monotheistic or polytheistic, I well know that I may get one of four responses: it's monotheistic, it's polytheistic, it's both, or it's neither [maybe five if one answers "I don't know." or "It's irrelevant."]. Which are you more inclined to believe?

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
OK.

Within Hinduism, if I ask the question as to whether it is monotheistic or polytheistic, I well know that I may get one of four responses: it's monotheistic, it's polytheistic, it's both, or it's neither [maybe five if one answers "I don't know." or "It's irrelevant."]. Which are you more inclined to believe?

I tend to lean into monotheistic, but I do believe in the Devas, which are like Angelic beings. But your mileage may vary. I've met Hindus who are polytheistic, monotheistic, atheists, etc. I am more of an inclusive monotheist, and believe that God is one, but as the Vedas say, the sages call truth by many names. So to me, there is no difference between Shiva, Shakti, Brahma or Vishnu.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yeah, age too. What is the person's age can generally be guessed by his post. :)
Yeah, some may be in their sixtieth decade but their intelligence may not have progressed beyond that of a junior school child.
I find age really hard to guess personally, and often don't want to know, less so than gender. I agree that there are many sixth decade or older people who haven't grown up, but the opposite is also true. many youth have a great handle on stuff. In my years of teaching, here were a few students who taught me a whole lot about life.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I tend to lean into monotheistic, but I do believe in the Devas, which are like Angelic beings. But your mileage may vary. I've met Hindus who are polytheistic, monotheistic, atheists, etc. I am more of an inclusive monotheist, and believe that God is one, but as the Vedas say, the sages call truth by many names. So to me, there is no difference between Shiva, Shakti, Brahma or Vishnu.
Thanks for the clarification, and the above makes sense to me. Now, whether you're correct or not is way above my paygrade. :(

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I know all these things clearly. Don't club all your questions together because each one may be a long story like I have given above. You can certainly ask and I would be happy to give you the details.
Are these constellations? If I am right about that, then what are the constellations teaching?
"3 The seven who on the seven-wheeled car are mounted have horses, seven in tale, who draw them onward.
Seven Sisters utter songs of praise together, in whom the names of the seven Cows are treasured.
"​

Regardless of whether they are constellations or not, what lessons about life are packed into this hymn, or what should it make me think of?