• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask a Hindu

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Hey! I am a convert to Hinduism (technically: you can't really convert, you just start practicing) and I'm just starting a thread for people who might have questions about Hinduism. I will do my best to answer. I am certainly not an authority on it by any means, but I can share my insight :) Just be kind, is all I ask.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Why Hinduism? Anything specific that guided you

It's hard to put into words, other than...it's right for me. It's home. I've tried other faiths before, but nothing speaks to me the way a Hindu Mandir (temple) does, or the way the holy scriptures speak to me about God. I would say, I personally believe my ancestors and guardians guided me. I sometimes wonder if I was Hindu in a past life. It just feels like home to me. I know I keep saying that, but...it just is. I feel at home in the culture, the hymns, the festivals.

Another reason is that I love how inclusive Hinduism is. They say you can view God in many ways; as your mom, dad, brother, sister, child, friend, even enemy. God reaches out to us in so many ways, and it is so true in Hinduism (Sanatana Dharma, as it is called). To me, God is Shiva, the Supreme Being. Some say it is Vishnu or Krishna or Shakti, and they are right too. They are right because God is all of those things.

George Harrison once said, "It doesn't matter what you call Him, as long as you call Him" and I like to keep this as my motto. If you are looking for God, in my view, and you connect better with Him as a Her, that's fine. God will accept that and come to you.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Hey! I am a convert to Hinduism (technically: you can't really convert, you just start practicing) and I'm just starting a thread for people who might have questions about Hinduism. I will do my best to answer. I am certainly not an authority on it by any means, but I can share my insight :) Just be kind, is all I ask.

I would never do an AMA, but I'm glad you're doing one.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
What would you say is the End Goal of the form of Hinduism you practice?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
How long are your weeks and are they all the same length?

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
When I was reading the Mahabharata, there were some pages full of philosophy. Like saying there were 20 senses or things like that. Do Hindus understand those philosophies very well?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I asked my question, it was answered, I then commented on his reply. You would do well to follow the conversation more closely.

And you would do well to recognize that disagreeing with an answer to your question incites and/or provokes debate and that Comparative Religion is in a non-debate area of the forum.

firedragon

Veteran Member

I assume you are a vedantist. Dvaitha. If I am wrong, you can correct me. In the Upanishads the idea of Agre and the creator exists right? According to Aithareya Upanishad, "In the beginning this world was the self (atman), one alone, and there was no other being at all that blinked an eye. He thought to himself: "Let me create the worlds." And elsewhere like the Kena Upanisad, the creator is called Brahman. The question is, is the creator outside the universe or inside the universe? The reason I am asking this is because if he existed prior to creation, he made it happen which means he cannot be creation itself, or is creation part of him which means he is inside and outside both? Or is it as traditionally said that he is creation itself which means the creator and creation is immersed in themselves.

Thanks.

Last edited:

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I've long had the thought that if I had to choose a god, it would be the toss of a coin between Ganesha and Athena.

My understanding is that Ganesha is cheerful, positive, tolerant, intelligent, learned and pro-learning, and likes a good party.

Do I have that right?

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
I've long had the thought that if I had to choose a god, it would be the toss of a coin between Ganesha and Athena.

My understanding is that Ganesha is cheerful, positive, tolerant, intelligent, learned and pro-learning, and likes a good party.

Do I have that right?
Yes and he had first successful full facial transplant.