• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask a Heathen!

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Hope you don't mind me firing off a few more questions. :)

How literally do you take the origin stories and interpersonal relationship stories of the gods you worship?

How much do you think they are involved in the day to day lives of living people and animals?

Do you have any ritualized practices in your everyday life?

What do you believe happens to non-pagans in the afterlife?

What is your view of Ragnarok?

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Would it be fair to say you're not one of those Folkish/Volkische degenerates?
Oh, Gods yes. I used to call myself Folkish, but I thought that meant nothing more than staying true to the culture (i.e. not depicting Thor as Mayan.) Now I understand myself to be Tribalist - though I don't so much like that word, because "tribe" sounds odd to me.

So yes, Thor & Perun(and honestly, Perkun) are so close that they may as well be the same deity, or at least twins.
I had not considered twins, mostly because of the goats, but that would be a valid view, yes. Perkun, though I view as their teacher, rather than related to them. As I believe it, Perkun - who came from the Proto-Indo-European peoples - taught Thor-Perun to use and create the thunder.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
How literally do you take the origin stories and interpersonal relationship stories of the gods you worship?
Half-and-half, honestly. For instance, the merging of Niflheim and Muspelheim I view to be the cosmic clash between matter and nothingness; the big bang that made all that is. I don't literally believe the skydome is Ymir's skull, though. Thor and Sif are espoused - sky and earth - but Loki did not literally sneak in one day to cut Sif's hair from her head; I believe that to be metaphor for the harvest.

How much do you think they are involved in the day to day lives of living people and animals?
Some more-so than others. Thor has better things to do than perch over our shoulder as a guardian deity, and when he rolls through to chase the Jotun and wights away, it's not to say hi to us; if we get in his way, we're in for a bumpy ride. Loki, though, is a little s**t. He loves to cause mischief and prankery in people's lives, but I still roll my eyes at people who claim super-personal conversational relationships with him. He interferes, but I don't believe he sticks around to get to know us too well. Odin on the other hand loves our stories, and loves to give wisdom. I believe he travels the world, teaching and listening in various guises, keeping up with the world as much as keeping the old world relevant.

Do you have any ritualized practices in your everyday life?
Yes, actually. Well, not every day, but every day that I work. I currently work as a delivery driver, so I carry a change pouch with me. I cast four runes that I made (Fé/Fehu - Wealth, Nauðr/Nauthiz - Need, Týr/Tiwaz - Justice, and Ár/Jera - Harvest) into the pouch, in the hopes of attracting or influencing a higher yield of tips for my day.

What do you believe happens to non-pagans in the afterlife?
I touched on this up in Post #12, but I believe they go to their afterlife of relevance (i.e. heaven for Christians), while simultaneously residing in any afterlives that have touched them - so, for instance, my mother and father will be in heaven when they pass, and will also be in Helheim with me at the same time. I don't view the afterlife as one single destination, and I also don't much believe in hell-type punishment afterlives.

What is your view of Ragnarok?
I agree very much so with the teaching of Einar Selvik of Wardruna, and thought something the same before hearing his lecture, that the Ragnarök is not the end of the world, it is the end of the year, or the end of any cycle. The myth is a lesson for us, teaching the necessity of letting go things that need to die, so that the future can grow and new things may come about.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Half-and-half, honestly. For instance, the merging of Niflheim and Muspelheim I view to be the cosmic clash between matter and nothingness; the big bang that made all that is. I don't literally believe the skydome is Ymir's skull, though. Thor and Sif are espoused - sky and earth - but Loki did not literally sneak in one day to cut Sif's hair from her head; I believe that to be metaphor for the harvest.

Some more-so than others. Thor has better things to do than perch over our shoulder as a guardian deity, and when he rolls through to chase the Jotun and wights away, it's not to say hi to us; if we get in his way, we're in for a bumpy ride. Loki, though, is a little s**t. He loves to cause mischief and prankery in people's lives, but I still roll my eyes at people who claim super-personal conversational relationships with him. He interferes, but I don't believe he sticks around to get to know us too well. Odin on the other hand loves our stories, and loves to give wisdom. I believe he travels the world, teaching and listening in various guises, keeping up with the world as much as keeping the old world relevant.

Yes, actually. Well, not every day, but every day that I work. I currently work as a delivery driver, so I carry a change pouch with me. I cast four runes that I made (Fé/Fehu - Wealth, Nauðr/Nauthiz - Need, Týr/Tiwaz - Justice, and Ár/Jera - Harvest) into the pouch, in the hopes of attracting or influencing a higher yield of tips for my day.

I touched on this up in Post #12, but I believe they go to their afterlife of relevance (i.e. heaven for Christians), while simultaneously residing in any afterlives that have touched them - so, for instance, my mother and father will be in heaven when they pass, and will also be in Helheim with me at the same time. I don't view the afterlife as one single destination, and I also don't much believe in hell-type punishment afterlives.

I agree very much so with the teaching of Einar Selvik of Wardruna, and thought something the same before hearing his lecture, that the Ragnarök is not the end of the world, it is the end of the year, or the end of any cycle. The myth is a lesson for us, teaching the necessity of letting go things that need to die, so that the future can grow and new things may come about.
Thanks. :) What do you believe powers the runes? A deity, your own spirit or an outside force or something else?

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
A bit of them all, actually. Deities influence some (Freyr for Fé, Týr for Týr, Sif for Ár). My own fate and willpower fuels the runes, and my desire for their effect. And primal, natural powers give life and, well, power to them. They mean things which are deeper that, say, the Tarot deck; primal energies that build the world around us, and may be harnessed if one knows how, and is careful.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Your heathen beliefs sound better than Christianity, but isn't your beliefs the same but with different labels ?.

turbopro

Just discovered your thread. Thanks for this. Am learning a lot.

I have read a couple Eddas, and plan to read Neil Gaiman's work.

"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

Lorgar-Aurelian

Brother as I have been reading through the bible for some reason I find myself reflecting on the gods more than the god of the bible ( honestly I find myself laughing more and more at the things the bible is saying.) So I thought I would ask a few questions here.

If I was considering becoming a Pagan and worshiping the old Gods from my Germanic, Anglo Saxon and Teutonic heritage where would I start?

If I was interested in Odin and worshiping or following him where could I get information about praying and or rituals that I might preform?

What are the arguments in favor of Germanic or Norse paganism over say Christianity?

How long was that book you recommended to me just out of curiosity?

Is this a reconstructionist faith or adapting the gods to something newer?

I appreciate any answers.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
If I was considering becoming a Pagan and worshiping the old Gods from my Germanic, Anglo Saxon and Teutonic heritage where would I start?

If I was interested in Odin and worshiping or following him where could I get information about praying and or rituals that I might preform?
Honestly the best place to start would be finding local Heathens and starting up a discussion with them. There are also several groups on Facebook - such as the American Asatru Association and Hugin's Heathen Hof - that serve as information hubs and local networking.

What are the arguments in favor of Germanic or Norse paganism over say Christianity?
Many, I suppose. I've pulled a few topics from comparisons to aid in this:

God or the Ultimate Reality, and creation

Heathenry recognizes many Gods within, and many gods without, as embodiments and creators of various aspects of this physical existence. Some Gods - such as Thor, Freyr and Freyja - have a larger role in our lives. Others - such as Odin, Loki, or Tyr - have very specific purposes. Still others - such as Ran, Idunn, and Skadi - have minor roles in day-to-day life, but may still be revered in their own turn.

Heathenry does recognize other gods - such as those from the Celtic, Greek, and even Abrahamic pantheons - but obviously doesn't revere them.

The human condition

Heathenry believes that this is our world (all of the universe, and subjective to all life in the universe) and while Thor defends it from outside forces, it is ours to manage and maintain. Realistically, this only affects Earth in practice, but should Heathenry survive to planetary colonization, the notion would ideally follow along with the ages.

Salvation and eternal destiny

Heathenry has no notion of salvation. There is no "devil" figure that seeks to corrupt us, nor must one "accept the Allfather" to be saved. We are our deeds, and a reflection of our honor. Fate is a big thing in Heathenry, and very complex, but we don't believe in all-encompassing predestination. Simply put, we have a day that we are fated to die, but up until that day we are free to make our own choices.

The nature of evil

Evil is highly subjective in Heathenry, though we generally regard it as a human effect. Giants don't possess people (as demons) and make them do naughty things. Evil comes from us, and it is for us to combat it with justice and wisdom. Heathenry does not tolerate harm (evil,) and the Hávamál advises us to seek out harm that we know of as though it affects us directly - often it does - and to give that harm no peace.

How long was that book you recommended to me just out of curiosity?
297 pages in total, including the Foreword and Glossary. 255 pages of story content.

Is this a reconstructionist faith or adapting the gods to something newer?
A bit of both. Heathenry reconstructs and revives as much of traditional ceremonies and roles as we can, but recognizes that we live in the modern age. We use the past as a foundation and a teacher, but apply our worship of the Old Gods to a modern take on Heathen faith. It's sort of an Old-Meets-New feel, if that makes sense.