• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask a Heathen!

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Recently in a debate, I criticized someone for their apparent inability to produce details - even simplified - about their beliefs. Well, I strive for nothing if not to be fair.

So, in that spirit, ask me anything about my beliefs; simplified or not, let's get transparent!

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Simplified, "spirit" - in the spiritual sense, not "team spirit" - is the total sum of who we are.

We are told that Odin has two ravens; Huginn and Muninn. Huginn represents the part of us that learns and plans; his name comes from the Old Norse "Hugr" - "thought". Muninn represents our emotions, our will to live; his name comes from the Old Norse "Munr" - "Desire/will". It is not just Odin who has a Huginn and Muninn; we all do. They form our spirit, the "self" of us that cannot be seen, only demonstrated; our thoughts and dreams, our loves and hates.

But that is people. We are intelligent, a deer or a tree less so. Yet they still have spirits; able to be felt when you are near them. Even a tree, one can tell if it is sickly or healthy, sturdy or rotten. Before we break it to know, we sense it's spirit in a sort of instinctual way.

More complicated than this, our spirits - all things - are the individual of a greater spirit; as I have been taught in Slavic Heathenry, what is called a Slovo. This is the Russian for "word", but in a spiritual sense means the greater whole of something. Everything that is about a particular thing - the heat, burn, dance, and light of flame - is the Slovo. A forest felt and known as a whole is the Slovo of every tree together. The Gods themselves are the Slovo of everything they create; as much a part of their creation as it is of them, like an artist deep at work.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
So spirit is more or less nature, which we are all part of ?, and what is god, I don't care fore the word myself.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you have any writings that you would consider authoritatively outlines your laws and beliefs?

Rehan

We are told that Odin has two ravens; Huginn and Muninn. Huginn represents the part of us that learns and plans; his name comes from the Old Norse "Hugr" - "thought". Muninn represents our emotions, our will to live; his name comes from the Old Norse "Munr" - "Desire/will". It is not just Odin who has a Huginn and Muninn; we all do.

Well, Muninn actually means "memory". Although, I suppose our will and desire is formed by what we remember to some degree.

What is your view of fate since it was an integral part of the Old Norse worldview and even the gods couldn't escape it?:)

Last edited:

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
So spirit is more or less nature, which we are all part of?
Spirit certainly is a part of nature, as are we, but it's not all of nature. In Slavic cosmology, there are three "worlds" (And for sake of readability, I'm going to Anglicize them).
  • There is the Yav' - this is the physical world; what we can see and touch. This is not just Earth, but the whole universe.
  • There is the Nav' - this is the spirit world; what we cannot see and touch. We inhabit this world as much as we do the Yav'.
  • There is the Prav' - this is The Law, understood by us as the laws of physics. It divides and manages the Yav' and the Nav', and binds them together into our life experience.
and what is god, I don't care fore the word myself.
Truthfully, I don't either. But it's a word that is commonly understood. "God" for a Heathen covers beings from tribes of the Æsir, Vanir, Jotun and Alfar, but the word itself only really means "that which is worshiped." When Heathens hold a ritual or ceremony, I don't really every hear "Hail the Gods!" I more hear "Hail to the Æsir and to the Vanir", as well as hailing specific deities.

Do you have any writings that you would consider authoritatively outlines your laws and beliefs?
Not really. We reference the Eddas for stories and lore (more so the Poetic Edda, and consider the Prose Edda basically corrupt) as well as more specifically the Hávamál for wisdom and advice. But Heathenry doesn't really have a doctrine or dogma outside cultural lore.

Well, Muninn actually means "memory".
For the longest time, that's what I thought as well. But if Muninn was derived from the Old Norse word for "memory," it would look different. I believe it was "Maninn" or something of the like. "Munr" means mind - not the brain, but the thoughts and incorporeal elements of "us".

What is your view of fate since it was an integral part of the Old Norse worldview and even the gods couldn't escape it?
I believe that everything and everyone is fated to a degree. But it's not a matter of pre-destination; we have free will. There are events in our lives that are fated, and we can ignore them. Take for instance my meeting my wife. I was heading to a house party that I didn't really want to go to, but I was trying to be social and meet more Pagans in the area; even if they were mostly Wiccans. I could have said "screw it" and gone home, but something urged me to go forward. I believe that was fate.

Rehan

For the longest time, that's what I thought as well. But if Muninn was derived from the Old Norse word for "memory," it would look different. I believe it was "Maninn" or something of the like. "Munr" means mind - not the brain, but the thoughts and incorporeal elements of "us".

''Minni'' is memory, so yes, compared to that ''munr'' sounds closer to Muninn. However, there is also the word ''muna'' which is ''to remember'' and Muninn should be something like ''the one who remember''. Huginn is ''the one who think''. I was a bit incorrect in other words, but it is still about memory.

I believe that everything and everyone is fated to a degree. But it's not a matter of pre-destination; we have free will. There are events in our lives that are fated, and we can ignore them. Take for instance my meeting my wife. I was heading to a house party that I didn't really want to go to, but I was trying to be social and meet more Pagans in the area; even if they were mostly Wiccans. I could have said "screw it" and gone home, but something urged me to go forward. I believe that was fate.

Ok. Seems like it was a good idea to go to that party :)

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What is your view of the cultural stereotype of Valhalla and what it means to be a warrior? How does it relate and not relate to your beliefs?

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
''Minni'' is memory, so yes, compared to that ''munr'' sounds closer to Muninn. However, there is also the word ''muna'' which is ''to remember'' and Muninn should be something like ''the one who remember''. Huginn is ''the one who think''. I was a bit incorrect in other words, but it is still about memory.
It's tough to put into English. I was able to find my lesson, and if the root word in Old Norse was 'memory' (muna) then the name would have been spelled Minenn. Rather, Muninn is derived from munr, but that word is hard to translate into English as it has no real cognate. Munr encompasses thought, emotion, and desire. Thought would surely encompass memory, but it isn't the entirety; this came about through similarity with minne, the Swedish word for memory.

Seems like it was a good idea to go to that party
Indeed! More than this example - I was very tired this morning when I wrote the above) fate is cyclical. Every year operates on fate: the summer is fated to turn to winter, the earth is fated to die and be reborn, etc.

Is there any particular reason you blend Norse and Slavic Paganism by the way?
Ancestry. I also find them to be closely interwoven. Thor shares so much in common with Perun that it is uncanny (down to their anthropomorphized description,) and there is a Slavic Goddess, Leyla, who is recognized as a daughter of Odin.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
What is your view of the cultural stereotype of Valhalla and what it means to be a warrior? How does it relate and not relate to your beliefs?
Oh, this one will be fun!

I hate it, so much. Whenever I see the "Brosatru" t-shirts on Facebook chest-pounding with the whole "I'm going to Valhalla!" BS, I face-desk all the way to China.

To be a warrior is to fight in wars - militia, soldiers, etc. It is not battling disease, or fighting for rights, or other some such metaphorical "battle." It is to be one of war.

Valhalla is the Hall of the Slain, not "Viking Heaven." Even should one die in battle (if they are Heathen,) Valhalla is not guaranteed. Freyja chooses the first half of the slain to reside with her in Sessrumnir, and then Odin receives the other half to reside in Valhalla. The Golden Hall itself is not a tavern where barfights rage eternal. The Einherjar - the honored dead - do not fight every day and drink every night. Valhalla's 540 doors lead to the barrows of those warriors; the Golden Hall is a place of peace and rest, where the Einherjar gather to feast, sing, and relax from a life of war.

Most of those Heathen who die will reside in Hel, resting peacefully for eternity.

Though, as I personally believe, the afterlife is not one destination; it is all of the Nav'. As my soul (my spirit and essence after death) will reside in Hel, it will also be in the Christian "heaven" with my parents, and anywhere else that holds relevance; cognizant and personal, not a clone or facsimile. And so with all souls.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
It's tough to put into English. I was able to find my lesson, and if the root word in Old Norse was 'memory' (muna) then the name would have been spelled Minenn. Rather, Muninn is derived from munr, but that word is hard to translate into English as it has no real cognate. Munr encompasses thought, emotion, and desire. Thought would surely encompass memory, but it isn't the entirety; this came about through similarity with minne, the Swedish word for memory.
As someone with a Germanic culture fetish, the best translations are "Thought & After-Thought" or "Thought & Fore-thought".

Just thought I'd help out a bit.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member

I hate it, so much. Whenever I see the "Brosatru" t-shirts on Facebook chest-pounding with the whole "I'm going to Valhalla!" BS, I face-desk all the way to China.

To be a warrior is to fight in wars - militia, soldiers, etc. It is not battling disease, or fighting for rights, or other some such metaphorical "battle." It is to be one of war.
This is just my opinion, but I always felt it was well within bounds to expand the definition of "battle", simply because the Norse themselves were more than happy to try and "cheat" their dead into Valhalla or the like, by piercing a "straw-dead" with a spear or the like, so that they "die in battle". This is, again, more opinion but I feel that Odin is not looking for physical attributes when deciding the Einherjar, merely those who refuse to die. Those who "die but never fell".

Just opinion there, again.
Valhalla is the Hall of the Slain, not "Viking Heaven." Even should one die in battle (if they are Heathen,) Valhalla is not guaranteed. Freyja chooses the first half of the slain to reside with her in Sessrumnir
Hum, don't hear it referred to as Sessrumnir that often. Any particular reason you prefer Sessrumnir to Folkvangr?

and then Odin receives the other half to reside in Valhalla. The Golden Hall itself is not a tavern where barfights rage eternal. The Einherjar - the honored dead - do not fight every day and drink every night. Valhalla's 540 doors lead to the barrows of those warriors; the Golden Hall is a place of peace and rest, where the Einherjar gather to feast, sing, and relax from a life of war.
More & more opinion here, but I would argue that for the culture this idea developed in the "popular idea" of Valhalla as a place of combat, drinking and such isn't entirely out of the question. I mean, there is a reason it is a warrior who goes to this place, not precisely a soldier.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
As I understand it, Folkvangr is the field, Sessrumnir the hall.
Fair enough.

What is your reason for mixing Slavic & North-Germanic paganism? Far be it from me to claim they're incompatible(though I'd argue Balt-Paganism would meld with it better) but I find it odd, personally. My own practice is based around reconstructing North Germanic/Norse paganism to the best of my ability, so I'm very curious on why you're choosing to combine that with its Slavic counterpart.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
What is your reason for mixing Slavic & North-Germanic paganism?
Mostly ancestry. And do go more in-depth, my greater ancestry is Norse, so it's my primary faith, and while Slavic is less than Norse (percentage wise), I connect more with it than Celtic. Northern Germanic I am able to navigate, but there's never been as great a connection as what I feel with Norse, or even Slavic. This particular question is hard to answer in that it's not something that has a clear pattern, reason, or evidence, it simply is as an emotion or instinct.

The only God that I "blend" from the two is Thor-Perun, though. I don't try to parallel Veles with Loki, or Odin with Stribog or Svarog. The other Gods, I worship and honor in their own respect. I relate Thor-Perun not only because [he] is the God of Thunder, but [he] is described as red-bearded and red-eyed when furious, ill tempered yet a defender of this world, and [both] drive a chariot or cart pulled by goats. While Perun wields an axe, (you may know) Mjolnir was depicted as an axe in the Bronze Age, so the weapons have some relation as well.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Valhalla is the Hall of the Slain, not "Viking Heaven." Even should one die in battle (if they are Heathen,) Valhalla is not guaranteed. Freyja chooses the first half of the slain to reside with her in Sessrumnir, and then Odin receives the other half to reside in Valhalla. The Golden Hall itself is not a tavern where barfights rage eternal. The Einherjar - the honored dead - do not fight every day and drink every night. Valhalla's 540 doors lead to the barrows of those warriors; the Golden Hall is a place of peace and rest, where the Einherjar gather to feast, sing, and relax from a life of war.

Most of those Heathen who die will reside in Hel, resting peacefully for eternity.

Though, as I personally believe, the afterlife is not one destination; it is all of the Nav'. As my soul (my spirit and essence after death) will reside in Hel, it will also be in the Christian "heaven" with my parents, and anywhere else that holds relevance; cognizant and personal, not a clone or facsimile. And so with all souls.
This is just my opinion, but I always felt it was well within bounds to expand the definition of "battle", simply because the Norse themselves were more than happy to try and "cheat" their dead into Valhalla or the like, by piercing a "straw-dead" with a spear or the like, so that they "die in battle". This is, again, more opinion but I feel that Odin is not looking for physical attributes when deciding the Einherjar, merely those who refuse to die. Those who "die but never fell".

Just opinion there, again.

Hum, don't hear it referred to as Sessrumnir that often. Any particular reason you prefer Sessrumnir to Folkvangr?

More & more opinion here, but I would argue that for the culture this idea developed in the "popular idea" of Valhalla as a place of combat, drinking and such isn't entirely out of the question. I mean, there is a reason it is a warrior who goes to this place, not precisely a soldier.

Thank you both!
Do you feel like the gods you relate to and worship influence your views on social issues in a specific way? Can you think of any examples?

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Do you feel like the gods you relate to and worship influence your views on social issues in a specific way? Can you think of any examples?
Not particularly. I mean, Jord (Jörð - the mother of Thor) is the Earth, of which I view as literally sacred. So that influences my political views on the environment in favor of preservation. But for stuff like equal rights, abortion, stuff like that? Nah.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Mostly ancestry.
Fair enough. Would it be fair to say you're not one of those Folkish/Volkische degenerates? There is nothing I loathe more than them, pissing all over the great cosmopolitan society the Norse constructed.

And do go more in-depth, my greater ancestry is Norse, so it's my primary faith, and while Slavic is less than Norse (percentage wise), I connect more with it than Celtic. Northern Germanic I am able to navigate, but there's never been as great a connection as what I feel with Norse, or even Slavic. This particular question is hard to answer in that it's not something that has a clear pattern, reason, or evidence, it simply is as an emotion or instinct.
Understood.

The only God that I "blend" from the two is Thor-Perun, though. I don't try to parallel Veles with Loki, or Odin with Stribog or Svarog. The other Gods, I worship and honor in their own respect. I relate Thor-Perun not only because [he] is the God of Thunder, but [he] is described as red-bearded and red-eyed when furious, ill tempered yet a defender of this world, and [both] drive a chariot or cart pulled by goats. While Perun wields an axe, (you may know) Mjolnir was depicted as an axe in the Bronze Age, so the weapons have some relation as well.

I have seen old depictions of Thor/Donar where he's carrying an axe/hammer, with the 'front' head being the hammer face and the back being an axe. So yes, Thor & Perun(and honestly, Perkun) are so close that they may as well be the same deity, or at least twins.