• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask a Catholic

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I am well versed in Catholic Apologetics for I spent a year in a monastery studying it all.

I put this in the debate section that you may challenge and fire your arrows at the Pope! :)

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Well, the Catholic spirituality has a lot more interaction with females in heaven , especially the Blessed Virgin Mary and the Rosary.

Females can help me more than males.

The Catholic church has an unbreakable chain of Popes that date back to the Apostle Peter who was the first Bishop of Rome.

The Catholic Church put together the first Bible. Catholic Church decided The Nicene Creed ,which is the most important dogmas that a Christian is supposed to believe, and Protestants agree on this.

The Catholic Church does more to care for the sick, shelter the homeless, and feed the hungry than any other institution on the face of the Earth.

It whas the Catholic church that started hospitals and universities and founded much of Western Civilization.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I just edited that post because there was many mistakes. My phone is about to die and acting up on me.

I'll have to get back to you with a YouTube to explain all the reasons that I am Catholic , because it's too hard to do by phone

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I am well versed in Catholic Apologetics for I spent a year in a monastery studying it all.

I put this in the debate section that you may challenge and fire your arrows at the Pope! :)

What would you like us to challenge about the pope?

I feel catholicism is a beautiful faith and when taken seriously without bias, it does mature ones faith in christ. The Pope kinda doesnt fall in my area of expertise. I respect him though I dont see him as an authority f scripture interpretation.

My second question.

Do you believe in the Pope? I saw a woman try to touch his feet as if he is Jesus. My catholic friend remarked "thats like jumping on god"

How do you view the pope?
Is it that extensive?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
What would you like us to challenge about the pope?

I feel catholicism is a beautiful faith and when taken seriously without bias, it does mature ones faith in christ. The Pope kinda doesnt fall in my area of expertise. I respect him though I dont see him as an authority f scripture interpretation.

My second question.

Do you believe in the Pope? I saw a woman try to touch his feet as if he is Jesus. My catholic friend remarked "thats like jumping on god"

How do you view the pope?
Is it that extensive?
I guess there's nothing in particular I want people to challenge me about, I just wanted this to be in the debate section so they have the option to do so and do so as rudely as they please.

Regarding my belief in the Pope, I do not believe some of our Popes were holy people, and I believe there are cleaning ladies and housewives that are more holy than a lot of our popes , Cardinals , and Bishops.

Although I have a repugnance for the Church hierarchy and believe in many ways they have failed us, there is much biblical basis for it.

When Christ founded his church on Peter , the rock, he gave him the Keys of the Kingdom of Heaven and the power of binding and loosing, that is why he is mentioned more than all other Apostles combined.

That is also why the Council of Jerusalem in Acts chapter 15 fell silent at the words of Peter , when he decided that circumcision was no longer required.

That was a decision that contradicted all of the scriptures up until that time, but under the influence of the Holy Spirit, he had the authority to settle that council, despite not having any scriptures to back up his decision, as circumcision was extremely important in the scriptures of that time.

There needed to be an absolute Authority that was outside of scripture to settle doctrinal disputes.

I will explain more later.

NewChapter

GiveMeATicketToWork

Why does the Bible say that the fatherless & the widow should be visited in their affliction but not that the motherless and the widower should be visited in their affliction.

Truth_Faith13

Hi, I have a few questions....

While I can understand the Catholics perspective behind the Marian doctrines, ie Mary is the mother of Jesus and therefore he listens to her, we pray for each other etc so why can't those in heaven pray for us. Why are they necessary? Why not just pray to God through Jesus directly? Surely that would be more simple? Those in heaven could still pray for us without us directing our prayers to/through them and then to God/Jesus?

Is there an aspect of Catholicism you don't agree with?

While I can understand the Catholics perspective on hormonal birth control due to the abortive effect, I can't understand the refusal of allowing condoms. I know you talk about separating the procreative from the unitive (or something along those lines) but I see no difference to manipulating the natural cycle (NFP) to ensure no pregnancies?

I love the chaplet of divine mercy (especially in song on ewtn) but why are Catholic prayers repetitive?

Does Catholicism believe in continuing revelation?

Can you be Catholic and believe in evolution?

Sorry I know there are quite a few questions there!

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

As a practicing roman catholic who considers himself a christian(only). 1. Why does the church continue to try and legislate instead of educate.

Christ was pretty direct about his feelings of government and also on what you should do when people ignore your word and its not take over their government.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Do you really believe that a piece of bread can literally turn in the body of a 2000 years old God if you whisper some latin words on it and you are a male?

Ciao

- viole

lostwanderingsoul

Yes, Peter's name means a small stone or pebble. And Jesus is the rock. So Jesus is telling Peter that he is just a small stone and the church will be built on the rock of Jesus. Notice Jesus never told Peter that the church would be built on "you". He said, Peter you are a little stone and the church will be built on me ( the rock). Any church that has a human for it's foundation is not God's church. God's church is built on the foundation rock of Jesus.

MrMrdevincamus

Voice Of The Martyrs Supporter
To my beloved Catholic brothers and sisters; How does ritual help you in your faith? Does it play a large part in your religion? One of the reasons I deviated* from traditional Christianity is that ritual helps me feel closer to God. It's like a spiritual bridge to the supernatural realm.

The deviation wasn't that great. I still beleive the core values of Christianity and Jesus Christ remains my lord and savior. I do practice more ritual and maybe sacrament is more prevalent as is other somewhat unusual practices in a modern Christians opinion.

Last edited:

MrMrdevincamus

Voice Of The Martyrs Supporter
Do you really believe that a piece of bread can literally turn in the body of a 2000 years old God if you whisper some latin words on it and you are a male?

Ciao

- viole

According to a catholic friend of mine, wafers etc are ritualistic symbols which helps Catholics and (other) Christians visualize, and become 'closer' to God and partially participate in the supernatural realm.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Hi, I have a few questions....

While I can understand the Catholics perspective behind the Marian doctrines, ie Mary is the mother of Jesus and therefore he listens to her, we pray for each other etc so why can't those in heaven pray for us. Why are they necessary? Why not just pray to God through Jesus directly? Surely that would be more simple? Those in heaven could still pray for us without us directing our prayers to/through them and then to God/Jesus?

Is there an aspect of Catholicism you don't agree with?

While I can understand the Catholics perspective on hormonal birth control due to the abortive effect, I can't understand the refusal of allowing condoms. I know you talk about separating the procreative from the unitive (or something along those lines) but I see no difference to manipulating the natural cycle (NFP) to ensure no pregnancies?

I love the chaplet of divine mercy (especially in song on ewtn) but why are Catholic prayers repetitive?

Does Catholicism believe in continuing revelation?

Can you be Catholic and believe in evolution?

Sorry I know there are quite a few questions there!
Yes there are many aspects of Catholicism I disagree with, eternal damnation is one of them, as well as the emphasis placed on how necessary it is to receive Catholic sacraments for salvation.

I also don't like that the church says you're not supposed to wear a condom, but the reason that the church has to draw the line there , is the message given in approving contraceptives, is that it's okay to indulge in sex without being open to the possibility of procreation, as long as you can get away with it.

Obviously, if a person is going to have sex without being open to procreation, they ussually wouldn't care very much the church's opinion about it anyways, so it's better that they wear a condom.

Sometimes we have to combine Church teachings with common sense. God made human beings sexual creatures with a lot of sexual tension, so he understands our weaknesses. Sex, along with everything beautiful and pleasurable on this Earth is a foretaste of what will be in heaven.

Regarding NFP, I don't see that as much different than contraception, but it still is open to God, if he so chooses, to bring a human being out of the sexual act, and it is natural.

Once again, the church has to draw lines, kind of like the law says we shouldn't jaywalk , litter, and we have to wear our seat belt , but how often is somebody going to get arrested for it?

God isn't going to burn you in hell unless there is no charity in your heart, because the catechism specifically says that a soul in mortal sin has turned their back completely on God, and charity has been destroyed in their heart.

If you recently contracepted or committed some sexual sin, and you still are not a selfish person, and you don't hate God or remain lukewarm or indifferent about his will, then your soul is not in a state of mortal sin.

Sexual sins are usually a sign of weakness rather than malice ,like a little boy that's told not to eat a marshmellow that's always in his face, and does so anyways, not because he hates his dad or doesn't want to make Dad proud, but because he's salivating and Desiring some relief.

Regarding the intercession of the Saints, I don't think it's necessary to go to God through a saint. I find that a relationship with the Blessed Virgin Mary and various females in heaven, help me out far more than turning to Jesus and the Father in helping my anger, Hate, blasphemies, lusts, pride, alcohol, drugs, and other vices.

God wanted me to turn to them, and they were assigned to me. If you have no conviction that God wants you to turn to an intercessor, or if you have tried and it didn't do you any good, then don't feel the need to do so.

But if you have a toothache or a foot problem , God probably wants you to go to a dentist or a foot doctor, and so he has employed various Saints and Angels in heaven to take care of various needs on Earth.

I have a YouTube uploading where I addressed more of this, but this weak phone takes an hour and a half to upload every minute of a YouTube.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spiderman

Veteran Member

Ciao

- viole
No, I absolutely cannot utter some words over a wafer and turn it into the body and blood of Christ , and neither can any human being.

God can