• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Asians Face Widest Income Inequality Among U.S. Ethnic Groups

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Not sure,
I find a large percentage of Asians to work hard, be disciplined, live responsibly, and have high IQ's...and the way people are educated in Japan and some Asian countries sounds heroic, but torture at the same time...

Of course, that is a stereotype, but statistics can back it up!

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
That's a surprising finding. But when thinking about the skill level over time, it does make sense.

suncowiam

Not sure,
I find a large percentage of Asians to work hard, be disciplined, live responsibly, and have high IQ's...and the way people are educated in Japan and some Asian countries sounds heroic, but torture at the same time...

Of course, that is a stereotype, but statistics can back it up!

Well, I'm Asian. And what you've described as a stereotype was my upbringing and many of my Asian peers.

I tell people all the time to work hard and save up. I get the usual response of that still being impossible to be successful. They just didn't realize that I meant to work even harder and save even more money.

Any hows. I'm gonna get some slack for this comment and maybe for this thread.

Just remember, I didnt write the original article...

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
This is why I hate stereotypes. Economic success has nothing to do with positive stereotypes as not all Asians are successful, but the link has a lot to do with the types of jobs many Asians receive coming into the United States. Engineering, most notably computer engineering is a rewarding field. Nursing, an exponentially growing field also produces a lot of people of Asian descent especially those of Filipino descent (along with some Pacific Islanders).

Last edited:

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Well, I'm Asian. And what you've described as a stereotype was my upbringing and many of my Asian peers.

I tell people all the time to work hard and save up. I get the usual response of that still being impossible to be successful. They just didn't realize that I meant to work even harder and save even more money.

Any hows. I'm gonna get some slack for this comment and maybe for this thread.

Just remember, I didnt write the original article...

But working hard has nothing to do with being Asian (which is a misnomer applied to immigrant minority groups), it has a lot to do with principles that your parents teach you. There were a few of my Asian counterparts who had mental breakdowns in my Masters degree program because of the undue pressures they get from their parents. If you go down to Long Beach you'll see many Asian businesses mostly Cambodian, that are successful but in the surrounding area you have poverty and gang crime which not surprisingly are composed of Asian people. You go to Chinatown its the same thing as you'll see plenty Asian businesses but also have elements of crime like the Triads and the Wah Ching shaking down business owners. So the Asian community is as diverse as any but your success is not because you're Asian your success is a combination of opportunity, the principles you grow up with, and will. These are things ANYONE can achieve with the right circumstances.

The success of the Asian community has a lot to do with maintain business within their own community. Some economists state that the dollar will circulate ten times within the community before it leaves it.

I'm impressed at how communities develop due to foreign immigration but it doesn't make one special.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Literally everybody from Asia. What do you expect? Some came as political refugees (Taiwan, Vietnam, Tibet etc.) as well.

I'm glad you brought that up. I almost forgot the Khmer Rogue and the fleeing of many Cambodian migrants during that time.

suncowiam

This is why I hate stereotypes. Economic success has nothing to do with positive stereotypes as not all Asians are successful, but the link has a lot to do with the types of jobs many Asians receive coming into the United States. Engineering, most notably computer engineering is a rewarding field. Nursing, an exponentially growing field also produces a lot of people of Asian descent especially those of Filipino descent (along with some Pacific Islanders).

Actually, I have to say you're right and I would be wrong for suggesting stereotype.

The correlation of success should still be drawn from the values and work ethics taught onto the next generation regardless of race. The jobs you mentions still have qualifications to attain before being hired, so these same people have to be train and first qualified. That takes work, commitment and skill. It's not easy being an engineer and a nurse. There has to be a commitment from the parents and the kids to achieve such goals.

suncowiam

Literally everybody from Asia. What do you expect? Some came as political refugees (Taiwan, Vietnam, Tibet etc.) as well.

I don't expect anything...

I'm quoting the results of a study.

Let me add something to this. I am actually part of the demographic mentioned later in the article. My family and I are Vietnamese boat refugees who came over to the US and was very poor. Well, you'll just have to take our word for it, but we found success. I know many like myself that have also done well...

Here is an article on that. Refer to the income and poverty section. You would imagine we would be in the lower statistics.
https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/vietnamese-immigrants-united-states

Again, I don't mean to bring up race, but there is a correlation to upbringing and cultures that helps with the success of the individual. We shouldn't deny that...

[Edited] Let me add that current wealth is not always a factor the success of the next generation. Sure, it helps a lot. I'm just in a unique position, in my extreme end of the bell, to disprove that.

Last edited: