• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Asian-American doctor says white nationalists refuse her care

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The story speaks for itself:

Dr. Esther Choo is an Asian-American emergency room physician who has practiced medicine for more than a decade. Yet, she says, a few times a year, a patient will refuse to let her treat them. Solely because of her race.

"The conversation usually goes like this. Me: 'I understand your viewpoint. I trained at elite institutions & have been practicing for 15 years. You are welcome to refuse care under my hands, but I feel confident that I am the most qualified to care for you. Especially since the alternative is an intern.' And they invariably pick the intern, as long as they are white. Or they leave," she wrote in successive tweets.

"I used to cycle through disbelief, shame, anger. Now I just show compassion and move on," she added.
"What I'm hearing from my colleagues is that this is a daily occurrence for many of them, at least experiences of prejudice. The patient who outright refuses care is less common, but I definitely heard from a lot of people this week that they have also had that exact same experience," she said.

Patient prejudice towards doctors is now so common that many medical professionals "consider it a routine part of our jobs," Choo emphasized.

"Maybe it's that they're from another country or because of their religious beliefs or their sexual orientation or their gender. But I'm hearing it from a lot of physicians that this is not unusual," she described.

Doctor: White nationalists refuse her care over race - CNN

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Why would this surprise anyone? Am I missing something?

I wonder why they don't say that virtually all the people she sees are glad to get her help but for some strange reason a few people a year is supposedly a story. *sigh*

Fine with me. Let the trash weed itself out. Lol.
I was thinking the same thing but couldn't phrase it to pass the RF filters.

Last edited:

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Yep, a friend of mine went to lunch with a very intelligent lady, and sometime during the meal a fully covered Islamic woman came over to see if they needed anything.

The "lady" puffed-up and loudly said, OH HELL NO!!

The poor server basically turned and ran.

My friend said he was mortified by the actions of someone whom generally was so intelligent.

So much for that date.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Yep, a friend of mine went to lunch with a very intelligent lady, and sometime during the meal a fully covered Islamic woman came over to see if they needed anything.

The "lady" puffed-up and loudly said, OH HELL NO!!

The poor server basically turned and ran.

My friend said he was mortified by the actions of someone whom generally was so intelligent.

So much for that date.

Intelligence and rationality are unfortunately two distinct things. :confused:

Kemosloby

Premium Member
I can see their point. Why does everybody need to be mixed together For some reason nature would have it that different races were grouped together. It's normal and less stressful which is probably why races still for the most part stick with their own, as hard as some people try to stop them from doing it.

tytlyf

Not Religious
I can see their point. Why does everybody need to be mixed together For some reason nature would have it that different races were grouped together. It's normal and less stressful which is probably why races still for the most part stick with their own, as hard as some people try to stop them from doing it.
Love sees no color.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Love sees no color.

Well you know God is love and created various races and separated them. Then cut his own little group of people out of the world to call his own. Grouped them in their own little area called Israel. But they were bad so he cursed them and made them go live with Babylonians. As Jesus is a blessing to all nations, he can do it if everybody just stays where they are.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

Well you know God is love and created various races and separated them. Then cut his own little group of people out of the world to call his own. Grouped them in their own little area called Israel. But they were bad so he cursed them and made them go live with Babylonians. As Jesus is a blessing to all nations, he can do it if everybody just stays where they are.
Um, what? :facepalm:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The story speaks for itself:

Dr. Esther Choo is an Asian-American emergency room physician who has practiced medicine for more than a decade. Yet, she says, a few times a year, a patient will refuse to let her treat them. Solely because of her race.

"The conversation usually goes like this. Me: 'I understand your viewpoint. I trained at elite institutions & have been practicing for 15 years. You are welcome to refuse care under my hands, but I feel confident that I am the most qualified to care for you. Especially since the alternative is an intern.' And they invariably pick the intern, as long as they are white. Or they leave," she wrote in successive tweets.

"I used to cycle through disbelief, shame, anger. Now I just show compassion and move on," she added.
"What I'm hearing from my colleagues is that this is a daily occurrence for many of them, at least experiences of prejudice. The patient who outright refuses care is less common, but I definitely heard from a lot of people this week that they have also had that exact same experience," she said.

Patient prejudice towards doctors is now so common that many medical professionals "consider it a routine part of our jobs," Choo emphasized.

"Maybe it's that they're from another country or because of their religious beliefs or their sexual orientation or their gender. But I'm hearing it from a lot of physicians that this is not unusual," she described.

Doctor: White nationalists refuse her care over race - CNN

This reminded me of an old episode of "Sanford and Son" where Fred had a bad toothache and needed to go to the dentist. But when he got there, he insisted on a white dentist. I was looking for clips of the episode just now, and came across a video that has clips from the episode interspersed with an apparent actual incident in a clinic where a woman is there with her sick child and complaining that there are no white doctors.

In this case, I wonder if she could be held for possible neglect or child abuse, if she's refusing care for her sick child because there were no white doctors at this place.

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare
These are the same low income white nationalist Republicans who vote Republican because the Republican president will "make us richer". If the Republican president was "making them richer", they'd be able to see a real doctor instead of taking the poor man's option of visiting the emergency room. The emergency room is for "real emergencies" for most people, unless one is poor, and the fact that these white nationalists are getting up and leaving when they cannot be provided by the white doctor shows the attention they needed was not an emergency.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Meaning the cause of all the racial tension is mixing races together. The Asian woman complaining about it is no better than the white people refusing her service. Each has their idea of how their perfect world should be.
Wrong. The cause of racial tension is people not being able to overcome tribalist impulses and bigotry that they are indoctrinated with by society. There actually aren't different "races", biologically speaking. Race is a social construct. We've always been mixing together. We're a very inbred species.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Meaning the cause of all the racial tension is mixing races together. The Asian woman complaining about it is no better than the white people refusing her service. Each has their idea of how their perfect world should be.
It didn't sound like she was complaining.
It's an interesting set of experiences to relate.

Btw, I've plenty'o Chinese in-laws.
I have black business associates.
They all have their problems dealing with other cultures & races too.
A tenant does furniture refinishing...nice guy...black fella...was complaining about a customer.
He didn't want to do business with such "chinks" anymore.
I had great fun letting on that Mrs Revolt is one of'm.
Progress was made that day.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Wrong. The cause of racial tension is people not being able to overcome tribalist impulses and bigotry that they are indoctrinated with by society. There actually aren't different "races", biologically speaking. Race is a social construct. We've always been mixing together. We're a very inbred species.

Nope, I think racial tension is caused by trying to mix people together who don't want to be mixed. The woman was doing the right thing when she kept her mouth shut and turned the other cheek, now she has made it worse and more people will refuse her service.

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare
Nope, I think racial tension is caused by trying to mix people together who don't want to be mixed. The woman was doing the right thing when she kept her mouth shut and turned the other cheek, now she has made it worse and more people will refuse her service.

Perhaps we can invent a time machine for you so that you can return to an earlier time in history where you will feel more comfortable with your outdated beliefs.

Kemosloby

Premium Member

A tenant does furniture refinishing...nice guy...black fella...was complaining about a customer.

I don't mind chinese women, they seem to stay skinnier than white women. But they spend too much money. Here's a song about it.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I really don't care what you think because you're just wrong and have revealed your own racism. Apparently you support segregation. :facepalm:

The doctor did nothing wrong by bringing this up. You may wish to refuse her services because you believe in segregation and I assume you're white. Go right ahead. No great loss.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

Shoot me now. I'm coming to see you as the voice of reason on RF. Are we both mentally ill?